Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

You want us to come back.... BUT.....(lack of upgrade availability)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You want us to come back.... BUT.....(lack of upgrade availability)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
As I said in another thread the US airlines started upgrades as a way to attract and retain higher spend loyal flyers. Over the years it's become the prized benefit of elite status whether domestic "sticker" upgrades for GLD-PLT- PLT PRO levels and in addition SWUs for EXP and CKs. The US airlines are going to have a hard time putting this genie back in the bottle. If suddenly no more upgrades then there goes the motivation to stay loyal to any airline. Either pay for F based on price/schedule or just buy Y again best price/schedule.
You are making the assumption that the only benefit of loyalty is complimentary UGs. Interestingly, the worst of the legacy carriers for UG availability is DL and yet they have some of the most loyal elites. Why? Because the people who have stuck with DL in the face of fewer UGs since DL heavily monetized F do so because DL offers superior customer service to elites, particularly when travel drama strikes. They know they can count on DL to provide a consistent product and to make help fix things when it hits the fan. For me personally that is worth more than any UG will ever be.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by AA Flyer
So You PUBLICLY state that you want us back! But when looking to BOOK A round TRIP on Nov 2 and Nov 9, Miami - LAX... and you are NOT OFFERING a single opportunity to use a System Wide Cert.....for the entire route! ALL of you system Wide upgrade opportunities offer only 1 of the 2 legs!!!!!

It has been this way for the last couple of years.... in most cases making the use of the Cert unusable to use for an entire pair of flights. I would have thought the current situation (Covid and near bankruptcy for all airlines) would prompt a more aggressive approach towards AA's most valuable customers.

Is this how AA demonstrates it's opinion of "loyalty"?
At this point of the time, AA is nothing more like a politician. Tells you how much they care about their customers but at the end they just do completely the opposite.

I don't trust a single word they say.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
W ant
F irst
B uy
F irst
But can AA provide a first worth buying?
Old May 29, 2020, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Herb687
If it doesn't, then why worry about upgrades?
Old May 29, 2020, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Get real. Providing you a beverage in flight isn't any more riskier than the drive the FAs took to get to the airport. They have a job to do. If they don't want to do their job find something else in life they feel is better.

The vast majority of AA frontline staff are doing everything they can to make the journey better. On Saturday when my flight to PHL was delayed due to maintenance an AC staff member proactively came down to the gate, found me, took me back to the AC on one of the CK carts (and I''m certainly not CK), rebooked me through CLT preserving my upgrade. If these men and women can go to this length to retain loyal flyers a FA can get off his/her lAAzy butt and serve me (and all the other F paxs) a drink in flight.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Get real. Providing you a beverage in flight isn't any more riskier than the drive the FAs took to get to the airport. They have a job to do. If they don't want to do their job find something else in life they feel is better.
The JOB of the FAs is to ensure the safety and security of the cabin and its contents (including passengers). Airlines are not required to feed and water every passenger. They do it as a benefit.

That said, I agree with you that if people are using COVID as an excuse to avoid doing what is expected of them in their job descriptions then they should consider seeking alternative employment or politely step aside until COVID has passed. For me that's the issue. There is inconsistency in the experience on AA because some FAs are providing a service in F and other are just sitting throughout the flight. I'm fine with either one...as long as there is consistency.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
The JOB of the FAs is to ensure the safety and security of the cabin and its contents (including passengers). Airlines are not required to feed and water every passenger. They do it as a benefit.

That said, I agree with you that if people are using COVID as an excuse to avoid doing what is expected of them in their job descriptions then they should consider seeking alternative employment or politely step aside until COVID has passed. For me that's the issue. There is inconsistency in the experience on AA because some FAs are providing a service in F and other are just sitting throughout the flight. I'm fine with either one...as long as there is consistency.
One of the duties of the company is to protect its employees against getting infected from a highly contagious disease, not for employees to have to see alternative employment where there are health issues in the workplace

Consistency is something that should be expected - but would you really prefer the consistency of never getting served vs the chance of getting served?
Old May 29, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
The JOB of the FAs is to ensure the safety and security of the cabin and its contents (including passengers). Airlines are not required to feed and water every passenger.
FAs are required to to serve food and water to passengers if their employer says that passengers should be provided food and water in a specific cabin on a specific flight. That's the JOB of the FAs.
enviroian and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Can any or them

or

I suppose your “worth” might be different than mine, or anyone else’s.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
No surprise

My “.02.

I see both sides.

Just as a leopard can’t change it’s spots, a customer hostile management team can’t (won’t?) change overnight.

On the other hand, they are looking for ways to generate cash. Giving away premium seats, even to a tired old EXP like me, does not make a lot of sense in this environment. Sorry.

Personally, since I retired, and am no longer tethered to Concur, I have become WFBF airline agnostic. Qatar to Australia at Christmas, Alaska out of DAL to SFO, JAL back and forth to NRT to name a few. I was trapped “behind enemy lines” in Paris during the lockdown for 90 days, and returned just last week, AF CDG-ATL and DL ATL-DFW.

I will always check AA 1st, but now also look elsewhere, and most of the time am pleasantly surprised at the choices.

Fly safe, and may all your upgrades clear as soon as possible.
apeortdz likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
My “.02.

I see both sides.

Just as a leopard can’t change it’s spots, a customer hostile management team can’t (won’t?) change overnight.

On the other hand, they are looking for ways to generate cash. Giving away premium seats, even to a tired old EXP like me, does not make a lot of sense in this environment. Sorry.

Personally, since I retired, and am no longer tethered to Concur, I have become WFBF airline agnostic. Qatar to Australia at Christmas, Alaska out of DAL to SFO, JAL back and forth to NRT to name a few. I was trapped “behind enemy lines” in Paris during the lockdown for 90 days, and returned just last week, AF CDG-ATL and DL ATL-DFW.

I will always check AA 1st, but now also look elsewhere, and most of the time am pleasantly surprised at the choices.

Fly safe, and may all your upgrades clear as soon as possible.
Wow... you say a "leopard can’t change it’s spots" but, by golly, I think this might literally be one of the most rational posts I've ever seen from you.

I'm stunned to say, that for once, I actually agree with you

Regards
Old May 30, 2020, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by AA Flyer
So You PUBLICLY state that you want us back! But when looking to BOOK A round TRIP on Nov 2 and Nov 9, Miami - LAX... and you are NOT OFFERING a single opportunity to use a System Wide Cert.....for the entire route! ALL of you system Wide upgrade opportunities offer only 1 of the 2 legs!!!!!

It has been this way for the last couple of years.... in most cases making the use of the Cert unusable to use for an entire pair of flights. I would have thought the current situation (Covid and near bankruptcy for all airlines) would prompt a more aggressive approach towards AA's most valuable customers.

Is this how AA demonstrates it's opinion of "loyalty"?
You are not the customer AA wants back, buying cheap coach seats and hoping for a free upgrade.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 1:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well we all want things to go back to normal, right? What's more normal feeling than waitlisting an AA SWU?
Old May 30, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
One of the duties of the company is to protect its employees against getting infected from a highly contagious disease, not for employees to have to see alternative employment where there are health issues in the workplace
are you suggesting that serving drinks is too hazardous, and that employees need to be protected from that duty?

Consistency is something that should be expected - but would you really prefer the consistency of never getting served vs the chance of getting served?
Not sure how a “chance” equates to ”consistency” but sure, I prefer “maybe” to “no.” But that shouldn’t be the only choice. I really prefer the consistency of providing the service that is advertised.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
You are not the customer AA wants back, buying cheap coach seats and hoping for a free upgrade.
If AA doesn't want the customers who want to buy economy and use upgrades, then why offer them in the first place? Obviously AA wants those customers or it would not be offering them anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.