Award flights to Hawaii

Old May 22, 20, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Award flights to Hawaii

On a whim last week I looked on the American website to see fares and/or award costs for Hawaii late October into November. I was astounded that a web special listed award flights from Buffalo to Honolulu as 30,000 miles round trip! I jumped on that! So,the 4 of us will be going to Hawaii again! Hopefully the governor will have rescinded the 14 day quarantine order by then even though we will be there for 18 days total. I just don't want to be stuck in our resort for 14 of those days, lol.
Old May 22, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
we were looking last night for paid seats to Hawaii from ATL... maybe I should look to use miles.. found some decent deals with cash,
but trying to use SWU is almost impossibel

on a side note.. I am not seeing great deals on any of the hotels thru out all the islands....yet
Old May 22, 20, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
On a whim last week I looked on the American website to see fares and/or award costs for Hawaii late October into November. I was astounded that a web special listed award flights from Buffalo to Honolulu as 30,000 miles round trip! I jumped on that! So,the 4 of us will be going to Hawaii again! Hopefully the governor will have rescinded the 14 day quarantine order by then even though we will be there for 18 days total. I just don't want to be stuck in our resort for 14 of those days, lol.
More like stuck in your room. You can't use the public facilities if you are under self-quarantine, which would be pretty much anywhere at the resort except your room.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
More like stuck in your room. You can't use the public facilities if you are under self-quarantine, which would be pretty much anywhere at the resort except your room.
I know things change by the day, but the OP is looking to travel in the Fall and at 30,000 round-trip, I would be willing to bet things will be far more opened up than they are now.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I know things change by the day, but the OP is looking to travel in the Fall and at 30,000 round-trip, I would be willing to bet things will be far more opened up than they are now.
Unless there's a second wave that Hawaii becomes worried about, and Hawaii then does a "rerun" of what they did for the first wave.

So you may want to make sure you can change or cancel without cost to you if necessary, and/or buy the right kind of insurance that covers all that (and for an award booking). Because even though fall may be a safer bet to be able to enjoy Hawaii relatively freely, it's not a 100% bet.
Old May 22, 20, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Me too but it was the OP that brought up the subject of quarantine so I was just responding to that without regard to whether or not things would be different.
Old May 22, 20, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Currently it is not just a matter of just staying at the resort. You cannot used shared spaces like pools. You cannot dine in a restaurant, etc
You cannot lounge at the beach. You would be pretty much stuck in your room. You should read the statement you have to agree to when you arrive in Hawaii
Old May 23, 20, 3:26 am

I too booked web specials to Hawaii. In my case from LHR to LIH (viaLAX) returning HNL to LHR (again via LAX). Total was 42,000 miles each way for business.

my trip is late feb returning mid March so confident travel will go ahead.
Old May 23, 20, 11:22 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
If their is a return (new winter wave) of COVID-19, airlines, again, will waive change fees and cancel award trip tickets without penalty or fees. So I jumped on a one way flight from LIH to MIA via DFW on the first Sunday of the 2021 year (Jan 03) for 25,000 miles, while all tickets are priced above $500 USD for the first 4 days of the year. Guess those dates after New Year are still being protected by the airlines as heavy travel period. No complaint flying on AA wide bodies all the way to MIA and on a red eye to DFW.

All the tickets I had purchased with miles for April - July 2020 on AA pre COVID-19 as Web Specials were refunded free of charge and with no penalty fees to my AAdvantage account. Also, I never book a Hotel that doesn't have free cancelation a couple days before. So booked the Marriott and Hilton in the island with points pre Marriott devaluation and with so few Hilton points for two beach front properties (5 nights each). All in all, no need for insurance on my side, other than CSR's trip delay if I get stuck on a hub while en route.
Old May 24, 20, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
If their is a return (new winter wave) of COVID-19, airlines, again, will waive change fees and cancel award trip tickets without penalty or fees.
I look at things slightly differently. If there is a winter wave and we shut down again, there may be no miles to refund because AA and others will be bankrupt. So spend your miles before they vanish.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Yesterday, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by dc10forlife View Post
I look at things slightly differently. If there is a winter wave and we shut down again, there may be no miles to refund because AA and others will be bankrupt. So spend your miles before they vanish.
With travel (especially international) curtailed indefinitely, I'm finding it not so easy to spend miles for 2020 travel.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
If their is a return (new winter wave) of COVID-19, airlines, again, will waive change fees and cancel award trip tickets without penalty or fees.
I would not be confident of that. What if the return of COVID-19 is so here-and-there that Hawaii does a shut-down, but hardly any state on the mainland does? Are you sure that the airlines will waive changes fees specifically for Hawaii travel? The current waiver is because almost the whole country/world was affected, and is not area specific.
Old Yesterday, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I would not be confident of that. What if the return of COVID-19 is so here-and-there that Hawaii does a shut-down, but hardly any state on the mainland does? Are you sure that the airlines will waive changes fees specifically for Hawaii travel? The current waiver is because almost the whole country/world was affected, and is not area specific.
While some of the terms may be different than the broad waiver in place now, I could see them doing city/area-specific waivers depending on the course of the outbreak.

After all, this is what they did when COVID-19 was first spreading.
Old Today, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
They do it for area specific weather related issues, I don't see why they wouldn't do it for a COVID restricted area.
Old Today, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ View Post
While some of the terms may be different than the broad waiver in place now, I could see them doing city/area-specific waivers depending on the course of the outbreak.

After all, this is what they did when COVID-19 was first spreading.
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
They do it for area specific weather related issues, I don't see why they wouldn't do it for a COVID restricted area.
Yes, but all previous examples are prior to this:

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jun 2020

So the specific question is whether they will waive award redeposit fees for awards cancelled at the last minute due to news about a last-minute shutdown somewhere? Have all previous (weather, etc) waivers included that (without dependence on schedule change, etc)?

Oh, and what if this theoretical future shutdown doesn't affect everyone, but happens to affect you (because they quarantine all incoming people in this or that category only)? Will the airline issue waivers for people in that category? That doesn't tend to exist in weather, etc, cases.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: