Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award flights to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I would not be confident of that. What if the return of COVID-19 is so here-and-there that Hawaii does a shut-down, but hardly any state on the mainland does? Are you sure that the airlines will waive changes fees specifically for Hawaii travel? The current waiver is because almost the whole country/world was affected, and is not area specific.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, but all previous examples are prior to this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...un-2020-a.html

So the specific question is whether they will waive award redeposit fees for awards cancelled at the last minute due to news about a last-minute shutdown somewhere? Have all previous (weather, etc) waivers included that (without dependence on schedule change, etc)?

Oh, and what if this theoretical future shutdown doesn't affect everyone, but happens to affect you (because they quarantine all incoming people in this or that category only)? Will the airline issue waivers for people in that category? That doesn't tend to exist in weather, etc, cases.
It seemed like the scenario presented earlier was that broad/general waivers currently in place lapse at some point later this year, and then certain areas (e.g. Hawaii) re-introduce shutdown/quarantine requirements in the Winter.

In that scenario, I could see AA doing an area-specific waiver allowing for free changes, simliar to what is offerred in waivers related to weather situations.

I would be less confident that such a waiver would cover free cancellation or miles re-deposit.

At this point, COVID-19 is basically a known issue, and there should be some degree of understanding on the part of the passenger that any future travel plans may be disrupted due to unforseen shutdowns/quanantine requirements.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
I would be less confident that such a waiver would cover free cancellation or miles re-deposit.
Well, what I was responding to with "I would not be confident of that" was:

Originally Posted by carlitos
If their is a return (new winter wave) of COVID-19, airlines, again, will waive change fees and cancel award trip tickets without penalty or fees.
And yes, I agree with you, that change waivers are much more likely (but whether they're unlimited change dates or limited change dates, that's a separate question), but fee-free cancellation of awards is not quite as likely, though of course still possible.
econ likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:45 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Other than limited flights to Oahu, most of the direct flights to the other islands have been canceled by the carriers. I think if another quarantine is imposed in winter (assuming this one ever ends) the airlines will once again immediately begin canceling flights and the question of cancellation, re-booking and/or redeposit becomes moot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.