Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Executive Platinum / minimum AA metal flights question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Executive Platinum / minimum AA metal flights question

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Arrow AA Executive Platinum / minimum AA metal flights question

Does anyone know if there is a minimum AA metal flights requirement to reach Executive Platinum? I strongly recall there being a minimum requirement of four flights on AA metal in the past but I can't find any record of this on the AA website now and the EXP agent I just spoke to was not helpful.

In normal years this of course would not be a big deal but (a) I live in Europe and thus gravitate to other oneworld carriers and (b) given COVID19 I would prefer to fly as little as possible on my way to EXP status.
Old May 22, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
as on now, and my failing memory.. no need to fly segments on AA... to reach status... just OW of course..

and welcome to FT
Old May 22, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
That's right. AA doesn't have that requirement. Just a non-overseas-waiver EQD requirement that's actually far harder to make on low economy fares than the old UA (4 UA segments and 100k EQM on any *A carrier). On lower economy fares, even at 100k EQMs, you'd be really hard pressed to make the 15K AA EQDs. Not sure if that applies to your situation or not, just something that came to my mind because I had looked at it before when I was still UA 1K.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by fotographer
as on now, and my failing memory.. no need to fly segments on AA... to reach status... just OW of course..

and welcome to FT
and if memory serves this is one differentiation between UA's 1K where an "x" amount of flying must be done on UA metal.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dvs7310
That's right. AA doesn't have that requirement. Just a non-overseas-waiver EQD requirement that's actually far harder to make on low economy fares than the old UA (4 UA segments and 100k EQM on any *A carrier). On lower economy fares, even at 100k EQMs, you'd be really hard pressed to make the 15K AA EQDs. Not sure if that applies to your situation or not, just something that came to my mind because I had looked at it before when I was still UA 1K.
I don't think the EQDs part is really that hard if you're based overseas. For instance, on Malaysia airlines, the worst EQM:EQD ratio is about 10:1, and to make EXP at 100K EQMs, you'd need a 6.67:1 ratio. Assuming you flew on fares that were about 10:1 EQM:EQD, then you'd need 150K EQMs to hit EXP. The real killer isn't the EQM:EQD ratio, but the 50% EQM earning rate, so 150K EQMs could be over 300K BIS miles.

An I fare on Japan Airlines would yield a 14.3:1 EQM:EQD ratio, so with that, you'd need to hit over 200K EQMs to make EXP, which would be just a bit over 100K BIS miles on that fare.

If you flew on CX E fares, then you'd need about 112,500 EQMs to hit EXP, which would translate to about 75K BIS miles.

These ratios aren't that bad, the worst ratio I've had before was LAX-HKG on a $171 fare on AA, so that was a 42.5 EQM:EQD ratio. Didn't affect me though as I had still plenty of other EQDs.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by enviroian
and if memory serves this is one differentiation between UA's 1K where an "x" amount of flying must be done on UA metal.
Correct, 4 segment minimum on United/United Express for all elite levels.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
Just four flights, but no percentage.
Old May 24, 2020, 9:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Hansen50
Does anyone know if there is a minimum AA metal flights requirement to reach Executive Platinum? I strongly recall there being a minimum requirement of four flights on AA metal in the past but I can't find any record of this on the AA website now and the EXP agent I just spoke to was not helpful.

In normal years this of course would not be a big deal but (a) I live in Europe and thus gravitate to other oneworld carriers and (b) given COVID19 I would prefer to fly as little as possible on my way to EXP status.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Please see Minimum 4 AA Flights Requirement to Earn AAdvantage Status OVER 1/1/2017

The requirement of flying four AA operated flights was shelved at the beginning of 2017. Your requirements will be earning the requisite Elite Qualifying Dollars and EQ Miles (or EQ Segments in lieu of Miles).

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2017 on
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.