Please help Help with cancel info

Old May 16, 20, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Please help Help with cancel info

I booked 2 RT from MCO->PHL for wife and I on March 17 using my AAdvantage account miles for our granddaughter's HS graduation in Northern New Jersey in June. We are both "non metal" members as the miles came from AA credit card bonus.. The graduation was canceled for obvious reasons. I find the online info very confusing on what happens to the miles I have used or if i have to call to cancel. . Been unable to get through to AA. Honestly, even if graduation was not canceled I wasn't going to fly. We're both way into in that "unsafe" age and both have underlying conditions. I am afraid to cancel and lose miles because I did something wrong.

I would appreciate any info you folks can provide.

Thanks and stay safe!
Ed
Old May 17, 20, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MisterEdF View Post
I booked 2 RT from MCO->PHL for wife and I on March 17 using my AAdvantage account miles for our granddaughter's HS graduation in Northern New Jersey in June. We are both "non metal" members as the miles came from AA credit card bonus.. The graduation was canceled for obvious reasons. I find the online info very confusing on what happens to the miles I have used or if i have to call to cancel. . Been unable to get through to AA. Honestly, even if graduation was not canceled I wasn't going to fly. We're both way into in that "unsafe" age and both have underlying conditions. I am afraid to cancel and lose miles because I did something wrong.

I would appreciate any info you folks can provide.

Thanks and stay safe!
Ed
Just call AA and ask to cancel your trip and reinstate the miles. There is normally a fee to reinstate the miles, but it should be waived.
Old May 17, 20, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Just call AA and ask to cancel your trip and reinstate the miles. There is normally a fee to reinstate the miles, but it should be waived.
. Easier said than done. . Been calling for 3 weeks, been on hold for up to an hour multiple times and disconnected. There is a”cancel trip” option on my account but I was afraid to try that since I was trying to avoid loss of miles or fees. I have also emailed them multiple times over the last month with no response.
Old May 17, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
. Easier said than done. . Been calling for 3 weeks, been on hold for up to an hour multiple times and disconnected. There is a”cancel trip” option on my account but I was afraid to try that since I was trying to avoid loss of miles or fees. I have also emailed them multiple times over the last month with no response.
I have been able to get through for two different trips (also no status). Did it offer to call you back? That is what I did both times. And it should be no-fee for redeposit. Some have reported being told there was a fee - if there is just say "let me think about it" and hang up. Then try again.
Old May 17, 20, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
As you have been experiencing AA reservation line has been busy lately and experiencing hours of hold time, if you do not have status on AAdvantage program. At this moment you have two options:

Cancel the reservation now. Since your flights on the reservation is not canceled at this moment, there will be $150 miles reinstatement fee (not sure if it is per passenger or per reservation) need to be paid to get your miles back.

Wait till a day before your travel date to see if your flights will be canceled by AA. If your flights get canceled before the travel date, then you can get your miles back without paying reinstatement fee. If your flights do not get canceled before the travel date then above situation "1" will apply.

Obviously situation "2" is not guarantee that will happen. But there is no loss on your part waiting till the day before the travel date to cancel the trip and pay the reinstatement fee. You can cancel your reservation via AA.com but likely later you need to call AA to get your miles back, regardless of you need to pay reinstatement fee or not.
MisterEdF likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you cancel online there is no fee to pay or anything like that, but you still need to call AA after you cancel online to have your miles redeposited. So you still have to call AA one way or another.

The only way you will lose the miles is if you don't cancel before the flight date/time.
Old May 17, 20, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The flight is not until June. Therefore, do nothing right now.
Old May 17, 20, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The flight is not until June. Therefore, do nothing right now.
Curious as to why? Def not going. Is it to wait and see if it is canceled first?
Old May 17, 20, 5:36 pm

Curious as to why? Def not going. Is it to wait and see if it is canceled first?
Did you check yet to see if it's been cancelled? The June schedule is largely set now with 3 daily flights on weekdays/Sunday (at 7AM, Noon, and 2PM) and a single flight on Saturdays at 2:15PM. They had originally scheduled 6-7 daily flights on this route back when you booked in March. AA loaded their June schedule last weekend and is likely still experiencing high call volumes due to all the schedule reductions and people having their flights changed or deciding to cancel. If you wait a couple more weeks, the call volume should be reduced.
Old May 17, 20, 7:48 pm

Shouldn't be a fee for cancelling

Just follow what JJeffrey says. You can cancel online or on the phone. You do have to call Reservations to get your miles redeposited, but you can do that later.

"We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
MisterEdF likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Did you check yet to see if it's been cancelled? The June schedule is largely set now with 3 daily flights on weekdays/Sunday (at 7AM, Noon, and 2PM) and a single flight on Saturdays at 2:15PM. They had originally scheduled 6-7 daily flights on this route back when you booked in March. AA loaded their June schedule last weekend and is likely still experiencing high call volumes due to all the schedule reductions and people having their flights changed or deciding to cancel. If you wait a couple more weeks, the call volume should be reduced.
It actually was changed by them back in early April to the 2PM flight, Not cancelled,
Old May 17, 20, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I would tweet, they are an amazing department. Just tweet them ,ask then to look at your PNR. Tell them you need to cancel, and ask them if there is a fee to get your miles reinstated. If they come back with no fee, then I would just cancel online, and retweet them stating that you did cancel, and can they please refund the miles and taxes to your original form of payment. I've done this 4 times in the past two months. Worked everytime. Really no need to call.
Old May 18, 20, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon View Post
I would tweet, they are an amazing department. Just tweet them ,ask then to look at your PNR. Tell them you need to cancel, and ask them if there is a fee to get your miles reinstated. If they come back with no fee, then I would just cancel online, and retweet them stating that you did cancel, and can they please refund the miles and taxes to your original form of payment. I've done this 4 times in the past two months. Worked everytime. Really no need to call.
Thanks. I haven't done much "tweeting". At my age I have enough aggravation dealing with Facebook. Who exactly would I "tweet" to? The "points" folks or AA direct or cust svc? (I REALLY hate that term which is probably why I have stayed away from Twitter)..
Old May 18, 20, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
@AmericanAir. A very helpful team.
MisterEdF likes this.
Old May 19, 20, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post

The only way you will lose the miles is if you don't cancel before the flight date/time.
There is no no-show penalty on award tickets as far as I know

Search this Thread
Search Engine: