Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award availability to Italy (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Award availability to Italy (to merge)

Since Italy is now open, I'm trying to rebook flights for September that AA had cancelled. Seeing that EF shows "J" available, but unable to book the segments I want thru AA.com or when trying to book on the phone. I'd also be interested in booking in F on a 321 MIA-LAX as part of the itinerary, but looks like nothing available. Can provide specifics if necessary. Is this just AA trying to get rev flyers in J/F and not releasing seats until later?
Old May 16, 2020, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Here's the details and the answer I got from someone on the phone just now:

9/24

VCE-MAD-DFW-RNO 400k miles per person in J (The IB first leg can be had for 22.5K miles per person in J)

There are other routes home involving 4 segments and an overnight in London or Chicago that can be obtained for 57.5K miles each.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dr freeze
Here's the details and the answer I got from someone on the phone just now:

9/24

VCE-MAD-DFW-RNO 400k miles per person in J (The IB first leg can be had for 22.5K miles per person in J)

There are other routes home involving 4 segments and an overnight in London or Chicago that can be obtained for 57.5K miles each.
If you drop VCE-MAD, or book that one separately, you can get MAD-MIA-LAX-RNO for 50k as a Web Special J.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
While I'm not seeing it online, you should be able to get VCE-MAD-MIA-LAX-RNO for 57.5k.

Maybe put the MAD-MIA-LAX-RNO award on hold and then call to add the VCE-MAD segment. Note that you can't do the web special if you want to add the IB flight.
econ likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Seeing that EF shows "J" available
Also, you would want to be looking for “U” space on EF.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:48 pm

Check to what extent Italy is open if you aren't traveling on an EU passport.
bse118 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Sure, but my point/question is why do I see J available on EF and can't book the itinerary online? Also, I can book in Y for 30k miles-- is the algorithm right when the business award seat is 400k ?
Old May 16, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Sure, but my point/question is why do I see J available on EF and can't book the itinerary online? Also, I can book in Y for 30k miles-- is the algorithm right when the business award seat is 400k ?
J is a revenue fare booking class as stated above U would be what you want for saver award space unless your good with paying 400K?
Old May 16, 2020, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
J is a revenue fare booking class as stated above U would be what you want for saver award space unless your good with paying 400K?
So this is the new normal? An Economy award is 30k, a mile-saver (when available) is 57.5k, and the "anytime" is 400k????? C'mon
Old May 17, 2020, 3:12 am

So this is the new normal? An Economy award is 30k, a mile-saver (when available) is 57.5k, and the "anytime" is 400k????? C'mon
Not sure what you're really looking for, since it seems like there's some decent options above for the date/route you mentioned.

"Anytime" has rarely ever been a good deal, and until a few months ago you'd have been lucky to find any sAAver Business TATL availability on AA metal.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Have you looked through this thread?
Dynamic AAdvantage Award / Drastically High Pricing (master thread)

This has been going on for almost a year now.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
57.5K is a great value especially when had on AA metal. Like the previous poster said you need to look at the U bucket not J as the former is saver award inventory and latter is revenue.

Perhaps you've been "frozen" since 2005!
Old May 17, 2020, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Ha. All good info. Maybe I've just been frozen since March. I believe the original booking I had was VCE-ORD-RNO.

No one has answered why the AAnytime award doesn't show up on the AA.com booking site.

Also, overnighting somewhere (LHR, ORD, LAX etc) on my way home isn't that appealing. Most of the 57.5K itineraries dont get me home the same calendar day.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Ha. All good info. Maybe I've just been frozen since March. I believe the original booking I had was VCE-ORD-RNO.

No one has answered why the AAnytime award doesn't show up on the AA.com booking site.

Also, overnighting somewhere (LHR, ORD, LAX etc) on my way home isn't that appealing. Most of the 57.5K itineraries dont get me home the same calendar day.
AAnytime awards are only valid on AA metal. You can't book an AAnytime award on an itinerary that includes IB or any other partner carrier. On 9/24 there are no AA metal flights scheduled from VCE, so AAnytime awards will not show up. Not sure when AA service to VCE is scheduled to return.

Given how frequently schedules are changing now, I would book whatever you can find at the 57.5k sAAver level, even if it involves an overnight or less than desirable routing. Then just wait for a schedule change and call AA to request something better.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Then just wait for a schedule change and call AA to request something better.
Exactly--book whatever now as it most likely will change then the onus is on AA, not you and you have plenty of leeway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.