"Pending Review" for almost a Month

Old May 12, 20, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Ambassador Platinum
"Pending Review" for almost a Month

It's been 25 days since I requested a refund for 2 PE seats to Spain. I know I'm eligible because they changed my MIA non-stop to a stop in Dallas...and it now gets in 6 hours later.
Every day I go to Prefunds to check the status and every day it still says "pending review". I'm over being patient. Sent an email a week ago no response. Call the call center and they're very nice but explain the refund department is NOT available on our computer system. I really need that $2200 refund now if you know what I mean.
What should I do now?
Old May 12, 20, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Originally Posted by big69bob View Post
It's been 25 days since I requested a refund for 2 PE seats to Spain. I know I'm eligible because they changed my MIA non-stop to a stop in Dallas...and it now gets in 6 hours later.
Every day I go to Prefunds to check the status and every day it still says "pending review". I'm over being patient. Sent an email a week ago no response. Call the call center and they're very nice but explain the refund department is NOT available on our computer system. I really need that $2200 refund now if you know what I mean.
What should I do now?
Chargeback on credit card.
Old May 12, 20, 1:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
The call center is not empowered to handle these types of things. You're right that a month is ridiculous, and it didn't take anywhere close to that for me to get refunds. I'd suggest trying to write in via the website or contacting them through Twitter for a response before attempting a chargeback on your credit card.
Old May 12, 20, 1:22 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
The call center is not empowered to handle these types of things. You're right that a month is ridiculous, and it didn't take anywhere close to that for me to get refunds. I'd suggest trying to write in via the website or contacting them through Twitter for a response before attempting a chargeback on your credit card.
Good advice here. I had to wait 28 calendar days between cancelling the flight and finally receiving the email which states "your refund is complete". Send a direct message to the Twitter team; they'll respond and confirm that the refund request is "under review".
Old May 12, 20, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
25 days? You should have done the following 17 days ago:

1. Chargeback
2. DOT Complaint

US law requires that AA initiate a refund within 7 days of your request if it cancels (as it did) or substantially changes your flight. On the 8th day, if you do not have notice that a refund has been initiated, do both of the above. Submit with your chargeback and DOT complaint: 1. e-ticket receipt, 2. notice of cancellation, 3. request for refund, 4. denial or a note that you have not heard back.

The chargeback, if complete, should be relatively quick and painless. The DOT complaint will cause DOT to require AA to respond to you (with a copy to DOT). Because the refund is required by law, AA has no option but to process the refund and then respond that it has done so.

Note that in your case, AA has necessarily cancelled your flight. It does not matter whether the offered rebooking gets you to your destination at the same time. The language is very clear that it is either a cancellation OR a time change.
Old May 12, 20, 1:49 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I am in a very similar position. I had four tickets to Iceland for June 4 travel. American is not lying there and made that decision in March. I tried to cancel my tickets and was told I could not until they removed the flights from the schedule or risk not getting I refund. I waited until I got the official email that my flights were canceled on 4/18. I called the EXP desk and canceled immediately. I have not waited for any response and have heard nothing. I too have been to the refunds page seeing pending review. EXP desk can't help. Send an email to the refunds team no response. I am beyond annoyed. The issue I have is that i purchased the tickets months ago and chargeback on card is not an option I don't think.
Old May 12, 20, 2:07 pm

Yeah I've waited almost a month then it showed up finally.
Old May 12, 20, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghome View Post
I am in a very similar position. I had four tickets to Iceland for June 4 travel. American is not lying there and made that decision in March. I tried to cancel my tickets and was told I could not until they removed the flights from the schedule or risk not getting I refund. I waited until I got the official email that my flights were canceled on 4/18. I called the EXP desk and canceled immediately. I have not waited for any response and have heard nothing. I too have been to the refunds page seeing pending review. EXP desk can't help. Send an email to the refunds team no response. I am beyond annoyed. The issue I have is that i purchased the tickets months ago and chargeback on card is not an option I don't think.
Just to be clear, you need not call to cancel. The flight is already cancelled by the carrier. Your specific request is for a refund. All doable online. If you made a request for a refund on April 18, AA had until April 25 to initiate a refund and you would have received an email telling you to expect a credit to your card. On April 26, time to file a chargeback and a DOT complaint. See #5 above.

No reason to wait and the sooner you act, the sooner you will have your refund.
Old May 12, 20, 5:47 pm

When my April 9 flight to Kauai finally disappeared from "Your Trips" and I confirmed that the flight was no longer available to book (about a week prior), I called AA and the rep told me to apply for the refund. It was confirmed on the spot and the refund issued in three days. Fast forward to yesterday - our June 20 flight disappeared and isn't available. So I called and the rep told me to apply for the refund. This time the website said it' eligible for review," and advised that, if I don't hear back in 7 days, I can reapply. I don't think so. I'll still be within 60 days of purchasing the ticket, so will initiate a chargeback with Amex. Perhaps I'll file a DOT complaint as well. It will take my mind off the cruises I'm trying to get refunds for - that situation is even more of a cluster.
Old May 12, 20, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by critterchick View Post
When my April 9 flight to Kauai finally disappeared from "Your Trips" and I confirmed that the flight was no longer available to book (about a week prior), I called AA and the rep told me to apply for the refund. It was confirmed on the spot and the refund issued in three days. Fast forward to yesterday - our June 20 flight disappeared and isn't available. So I called and the rep told me to apply for the refund. This time the website said it' eligible for review," and advised that, if I don't hear back in 7 days, I can reapply. I don't think so. I'll still be within 60 days of purchasing the ticket, so will initiate a chargeback with Amex. Perhaps I'll file a DOT complaint as well. It will take my mind off the cruises I'm trying to get refunds for - that situation is even more of a cluster.
It won't matter for you, but, presuming that this is a US credit card issuer, it is 60 days from the day on which the service was not delivered, e.g. that it was cancelled.

You have made the request for a refund, AA has 7 days to initiate it. On the 8th day, start the dispute and file the DOT complaint and supply copies of your e-ticket, the cancellation notice,, your request for a refund and a note that no refund has been initiated. DOT will forward the complaint to AA for a response and AA has only one response, e.g., "we've refunded the customer." The only question will be whether it is the DOT complaint or the chargeback which hits first. You may never know.
Old May 12, 20, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
presuming that this is a US credit card issuer, it is 60 days from the day on which the service was not delivered, e.g. that it was cancelled.
Just to be clear, is it 60 days starting from when the cancelled flight was supposed to operate, or 60 days starting from the day that it was cancelled? I had assumed it was the former.

I will likely make use of the DOT complaint route soon (not for an AA itinerary), and just wanted to be sure I don't wait too long.
Old May 13, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
maybe I just got lucky.. had a series of tickets booked, purchased both on AA and BA... of course all flights canceled.
BA, on line of course is pushing towards a voucher.. tried BA, both USA lines and England lines.. was not even able to get thru.. called their HKG line.. got thru in a few minutes, refunds issued, CC refunded in 7 days
AA, kept pushing me to the website... but with a few tickets, the process was a pain... called AA on a Sunday morning.. the agent was great.. she was able to process the refund... CC refunded in 9 days.. SWU back in account in 7 days

sorry to hear AA is giving a lot of passengers the run around
Old May 13, 20, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It won't matter for you, but, presuming that this is a US credit card issuer, it is 60 days from the day on which the service was not delivered, e.g. that it was cancelled.

You have made the request for a refund, AA has 7 days to initiate it. On the 8th day, start the dispute and file the DOT complaint and supply copies of your e-ticket, the cancellation notice,, your request for a refund and a note that no refund has been initiated. DOT will forward the complaint to AA for a response and AA has only one response, e.g., "we've refunded the customer." The only question will be whether it is the DOT complaint or the chargeback which hits first. You may never know.
I never received a cancellation notice. I saw that the flight was unavailable for booking, so called AA, who confirmed that it was cancelled, but never sent me a confirmation (although it was promised). I guess I will see if they can send it to me even though they've already cancelled the flight. It went so smoothly the last time, but I guess they are now trying to hang on to their cash like my dog used to hang on to chicken bones.
Old May 13, 20, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
AA has repeatedly said that it is overwhelmed with refund processing. I am sure they will get to you soon.
If you need the money right away, do a chargeback. Otherwise, maybe just be a little patient?
Old May 13, 20, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by critterchick View Post
I never received a cancellation notice. I saw that the flight was unavailable for booking, so called AA, who confirmed that it was cancelled, but never sent me a confirmation (although it was promised). I guess I will see if they can send it to me even though they've already cancelled the flight. It went so smoothly the last time, but I guess they are now trying to hang on to their cash like my dog used to hang on to chicken bones.
In that case, you received a cancellation notice when you called!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: