Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Bring back the ‘dogs!
brewdog11 and DCAhome like this.
Old May 10, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
FWIW, I'm on a hub-hub flight in 2 weeks with a mostly-full F cabin (depends on if Row 1 is blocked or fully booked). Only myself and one other pax have open seats next to them, which I'm not counting on staying vacant. Doesn't look like there will be any social distancing onboard and they haven't even begun processing upgrades yet.

I have 3 other flights on CR9's and E-175's where I'm the either one of two pax or the only pax in F. I guess onboard social distancing is route- and demand-dependent
Old May 10, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Based on recent experience they are blocking the first row of F and some Y middle seats until they are needed. Despite what the press releases say several recent flights were full in F 16/16, and mostly full in Y. I have also seen the GA moving Y passengers not traveling together in order to social distance. Brewdog11 said it best, "onboard social distancing is route- and demand-dependent". They work to provide distance when able but will also fill a plane if the demand is there. I also experienced an A319 being swapped to an A321 because they need more seats in F and Y. F went out 16/16.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:45 pm

4 flights this weekend and no, full cabins up front on every flight.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I just sat in 1A in F so it's not on all flights.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The first row of F is blocked for self seat assignments but as I and others have seen GAs are unblocking them and filling them with paxs.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by houstr8male
Based on recent experience they are blocking the first row of F and some Y middle seats until they are needed. Despite what the press releases say several recent flights were full in F 16/16, and mostly full in Y. I have also seen the GA moving Y passengers not traveling together in order to social distance. Brewdog11 said it best, "onboard social distancing is route- and demand-dependent". They work to provide distance when able but will also fill a plane if the demand is there. I also experienced an A319 being swapped to an A321 because they need more seats in F and Y. F went out 16/16.
This is my experience as well on a few domestic flights in last few weeks.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:54 am

Just checked my 2 flights on Wednesday and 1st row is open to choose. Friday flight is showing blocked/occupied.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:22 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Folks - the OP asked a specific question about current AA practices in domestic F. If you'd like to discuss or contribute to the topic at hand, please do.

However, general discussion about COVID-19, the aviation industry, bailouts, etc. are not off-topic. Please discuss those topics in the Coronavirus forum or OMNI.

Members who repeatedly derail threads may have their posting privileges suspended. If you see thread start to go off-topic, please use the "Alert a moderator" feature instead of piling on. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding! /Moderator
Abidjan likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by shaddie
Just checked my 2 flights on Wednesday and 1st row is open to choose. Friday flight is showing blocked/occupied.
Yes, I did self-select 1A on both my flights. I was moved on the first. On the second I asked the FA if she wanted me to. She said as long as I did not sneeze or cough on her she was fine! So it may depend on the gate agent?
Old May 12, 2020, 4:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Just checked my flights JFK-CLT-SFO later this month, and first row is blocked on both. The first flight is pretty empty, so it seems like a block. I'm assuming the second flight has the block too, but not sure since it's 100% full. Incidentally, JFK-CLT-SFO is pricing out at $301 all in in First (R class)!
Old May 12, 2020, 6:59 am
Suspended

Yesterday I was flying MIA/CLT and in 2F. A young guy was in 2E and let's just say he smelled like my college days after an all night bong fest. Poor guy was so high he spilled his PDB all over him and the seat. The FA had him move to the first row.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Seat blocking seems to be all over the place. I heard of chock full planes and empty planes. How can AA block on the former? Obviously not.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Yesterday I was flying MIA/CLT and in 2F. A young guy was in 2E and let's just say he smelled like my college days after an all night bong fest. Poor guy was so high he spilled his PDB all over him and the seat. The FA had him move to the first row.
They did PDBs?
Old May 12, 2020, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by metallo
They did PDBs?
Yes some FAs are but maybe we shouldn't be discussing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.