Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Blocking Seats in Domestic F for Coronavirus (end 1 Jul ‘20)

AA Blocking Seats in Domestic F for Coronavirus (end 1 Jul ‘20)

Old May 10, 20, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: CK
Question AA Blocking Seats in Domestic F for Coronavirus (end 1 Jul ‘20)

I read the sticky, but it links to AA's site about COVID, which is non-descriptive:

Creating more space inflight
To further create more space inflight, we’re making updates to seat assignments through May 31, 2020.
Also we’re making updates to food and drink service. We’ll resume full service once the current COVID-19 situation has stabilized.

So is AA blocking every other seat in domestic F? What about middles in Y? I booked a flight for May 30, and the seat map in F looks basically 100% full (took second to last seat).

Thanks,
-BlooJoo
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old May 10, 20, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
I read the sticky, but it links to AA's site about COVID, which is non-descriptive:

Creating more space inflight
To further create more space inflight, we’re making updates to seat assignments through May 31, 2020.
Also we’re making updates to food and drink service. We’ll resume full service once the current COVID-19 situation has stabilized.

So is AA blocking every other seat in domestic F? What about middles in Y? I booked a flight for May 30, and the seat map in F looks basically 100% full (took second to last seat).

Thanks,
-BlooJoo
Theyve already said they’re blocking the first row of FC.....thus making their A319 (which they’re using more and more on routes like DFW-LGA) only a 4 cabin FC.

Last edited by AANYC1981; May 10, 20 at 9:37 am
Old May 10, 20, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Theyve already said they’re blocking the first row of FC.....thus making their A319 (which they’re using more and more on route like DFW-LGA) only an 4 cabin FC.
Why block the whole first row rather than break up the blocking into one from each pair (except for people traveling together)? Is the idea to have people move around once on board?
Old May 10, 20, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Why block the whole first row rather than break up the blocking into one from each pair (except for people traveling together)? Is the idea to have people move around once on board?
As I understand it....it’s to block pax from the FAs
Old May 10, 20, 9:38 am
Original Poster

As I understand it....it’s to block pax from the FAs
Thanks. Weird.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 10, 20, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Theyve already said they’re blocking the first row of FC.....thus making their A319 (which they’re using more and more on routes like DFW-LGA) only a 4 cabin FC.

Was just on A319 yesterday (PHL-CLT) and there were 6 in F. row 1 had just 1 person on each section of the row. GUessing they are making exceptions to some degree. There were four people on the upgrade list but none upgraded according to the app.
Old May 10, 20, 11:34 am

Not to take this too far off topic, but this discussion and the general concept of in-flight distancing makes me wonder why AA elected to retire the 767s and mothball the 330s at this time. I'd think that any aircraft with two aisles in coach and aisle-access pods in J/F would be a hot commodity. Especially up front where dividers could easily be used to compartmentalize each passenger. Yes, they're expensive to operate (well, at least when oil isn't nearly free), but I would think that this would be outweighed by the possible increase in loads, such as being able to be full up front.
Old May 10, 20, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Bring back the ‘dogs!
brewdog11 and DCAhome like this.
Old May 10, 20, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
FWIW, I'm on a hub-hub flight in 2 weeks with a mostly-full F cabin (depends on if Row 1 is blocked or fully booked). Only myself and one other pax have open seats next to them, which I'm not counting on staying vacant. Doesn't look like there will be any social distancing onboard and they haven't even begun processing upgrades yet.

I have 3 other flights on CR9's and E-175's where I'm the either one of two pax or the only pax in F. I guess onboard social distancing is route- and demand-dependent
Old May 10, 20, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Based on recent experience they are blocking the first row of F and some Y middle seats until they are needed. Despite what the press releases say several recent flights were full in F 16/16, and mostly full in Y. I have also seen the GA moving Y passengers not traveling together in order to social distance. Brewdog11 said it best, "onboard social distancing is route- and demand-dependent". They work to provide distance when able but will also fill a plane if the demand is there. I also experienced an A319 being swapped to an A321 because they need more seats in F and Y. F went out 16/16.
Old May 10, 20, 10:45 pm

4 flights this weekend and no, full cabins up front on every flight.
Old May 11, 20, 2:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, BonVoy Silver
I just sat in 1A in F so it's not on all flights.
Old May 11, 20, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The first row of F is blocked for self seat assignments but as I and others have seen GAs are unblocking them and filling them with paxs.
Old May 11, 20, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PP, DL GM, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by houstr8male View Post
Based on recent experience they are blocking the first row of F and some Y middle seats until they are needed. Despite what the press releases say several recent flights were full in F 16/16, and mostly full in Y. I have also seen the GA moving Y passengers not traveling together in order to social distance. Brewdog11 said it best, "onboard social distancing is route- and demand-dependent". They work to provide distance when able but will also fill a plane if the demand is there. I also experienced an A319 being swapped to an A321 because they need more seats in F and Y. F went out 16/16.
This is my experience as well on a few domestic flights in last few weeks.
Old May 11, 20, 5:54 am

Just checked my 2 flights on Wednesday and 1st row is open to choose. Friday flight is showing blocked/occupied.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: