Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Old May 14, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
If AA (and others) plan on blocking seats in the future as the new normal expect fares to rise 50%.
I have just upgraded an LAS - LAX booking from coach for first for $48.20 per ticket. Originally booked LAS - LAX direct it was changed a few weeks ago to LAS - PHX - LAX. Having paid $108.40 for the original coach seat I was pretty surprised to see First available today for $156.60 per person, so for 80 TPs (as I credit my flights to BAEC) it was a no brainer.

Row 1 is showing as blocked on both flights so couldn't get two adjacent seats on the LAS - PHX sector but no problem on PHX - LAX. The first flight is an A319 so only one row available, but EF shows C3 J3 R3 D3 I3 and that's reflected on aa.com with "Only 3 seats available" showing if I look to make a booking. So presumably the seats would become available if there are bookings.

Just as an aside booking the same flight number but LAS - PHX instead of LAS - LAX shows First as being available for $233. Ditto for the PHX - LAX segment. Even better value for money
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
I've thought the same thing!

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Not to take this too far off topic, but this discussion and the general concept of in-flight distancing makes me wonder why AA elected to retire the 767s and mothball the 330s at this time. I'd think that any aircraft with two aisles in coach and aisle-access pods in J/F would be a hot commodity. Especially up front where dividers could easily be used to compartmentalize each passenger. Yes, they're expensive to operate (well, at least when oil isn't nearly free), but I would think that this would be outweighed by the possible increase in loads, such as being able to be full up front.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Row 1 (or row 3 depending on plane) must be offered to those with qualifying disabilities. Curious if there's been any issues.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Let me clarify what the official policy is:

The first row of First should be blocked until it is needed to accommodate booked passengers. This is to give space between FAs and the first row of passengers, not to social distance within the First cabin. UPGs are cleared in the normal way, and the cabin can be sent out full.

Staff/non-Rev are not allowed to sit in Short-haul First/Business unless they are on company business or deadheading (a lot of that going on).

There is a maximum cap for flights, but this is for the entire aircraft (I.e. no specific cabin caps).

So in practise, there are only firm seat blocks for social distancing purposes in coach and the first row should remain blocked unless it is needed to accommodate booked passengers, upgrades and staff business travel.
dpb132 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
The question was asked and should be asked again: why is AA not using large wide-body aircraft, for Domestic social distancing?
Old May 15, 2020, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
The question was asked and should be asked again: why is AA not using large wide-body aircraft, for Domestic social distancing?
And the answer is simple: cost and (resulting lack of) profit.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Because that would be insanely expensive and they are literally bleeding cash right now.

If you are that worried, simple solution; don't fly.

Regards
Old May 15, 2020, 7:36 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Good question. I was in Japan for much of my career and often flew HND/FUK. It is about an hour and 45 minute flight gate to gate from Tokyo to Fukuoka. At the time, many of those planes were 767s and later, a couple of 787s were thrown in at times. JAL made it work. I was told that they determined that it was more effective for them to run 6-7 flights a day on wide bodies vs a dozen flights a day on 737s. I don't know about resurrecting the old 767s, but there are a lot of efficient grounded Dreamliners that could be pressed into service and make social distancing a reality. Makes sense and at least JAL made it work even in normal times. The planes were not full on those JAL flights - I usually took an aisle in the middle section of what they called business on this short haul (kind of like MCE) and don't recall ever having had anyone sitting next to me in the middle seat .
Old May 15, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by scubadu
Because that would be insanely expensive and they are literally bleeding cash right now.

If you are that worried, simple solution; don't fly.

Regards
Exactly. The bleeding has to be stopped somehow. It seems like it's mostly non-essential leisure travelers doing the complaining too. A lot of the people complaining "muh plane has lots of peeps on it with virus breath" are probably the same entitled jackasses who refuse to wear masks because "MUH RIGHTS AS A 'MERICAN."

Just hoping American and its employees don't see another bankruptcy.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wjj
Good question. I was in Japan for much of my career and often flew HND/FUK. It is about an hour and 45 minute flight gate to gate from Tokyo to Fukuoka. At the time, many of those planes were 767s and later, a couple of 787s were thrown in at times. JAL made it work. I was told that they determined that it was more effective for them to run 6-7 flights a day on wide bodies vs a dozen flights a day on 737s. I don't know about resurrecting the old 767s, but there are a lot of efficient grounded Dreamliners that could be pressed into service and make social distancing a reality. Makes sense and at least JAL made it work even in normal times. The planes were not full on those JAL flights - I usually took an aisle in the middle section of what they called business on this short haul (kind of like MCE) and don't recall ever having had anyone sitting next to me in the middle seat .
It's not a good question. The dynamics of the Japanese domestic market differ substantially from those in the US. US airlines are a business, not a government service, and they can't just "fly bigger planes for social distancing" and stay in business. The question is, frankly, very uninformed.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wouldn't count on seeing any 77 dub's at AMA anytime soon
Old May 15, 2020, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Row 3/1 is supposed to be blocked from selection. The 2nd FA sits on the right side, and 1A/3A can be assigned if needed for passengers with disabilities. However the other two seats arent supposed to be assigned. On both my flights today this was the case.

Otherwise it's like UA, pack them in.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Row 3/1 is supposed to be blocked from selection. The 2nd FA sits on the right side, and 1A/3A can be assigned if needed for passengers with disabilities. However the other two seats arent supposed to be assigned. On both my flights today this was the case.

Otherwise it's like UA, pack them in.
there is literally no logic to this. Please don’t claim AA is avoiding being like UA with this absurdity.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
there is literally no logic to this. Please don’t claim AA is avoiding being like UA with this absurdity.
I'm not claiming that. In factIthe lying is what I'm pointing out.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm not claiming that. In factIthe lying is what I'm pointing out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.