Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:04 pm

My favorite time related to seats/seating policy was more room through coach and blocked seats next to top tiered frequent fliers. That coupled with an expat assignment in Buenos Aires for 2 years. During the Argentine economic crisis of 2001-2002, I could fly back to Miami for if I recall correctly as low as 299 at the time and had all that leg room---the good old days.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
While the aisle/middles were “premium” (non MCE) seats this was to keep the 737s at 150 seats for crew staffing. Perhaps AA is thinking about “blocked seats” in this way again for staffing. I think it was adding MCE that created the strange arrangement.
Exactly.......one FA required per 50 seats, no matter how many passengers are onboard.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by fotographer
wish AA would block the middle seats all the time
There are so many things a bailout could attach to these carriers it gives me a chance to dream of feeling like a human when flying again.
fotographer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
There are so many things a bailout could attach to these carriers it gives me a chance to dream of feeling like a human when flying again.
The bailout might help relieve them of the current financial issues due to the virus, but taking 1/3 of the seating away is not gong to help them maintain profitability, unless passengers are going to be paying for a fare increase to cover it.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Seat map shows full but availibliity is wide open

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but on a flight I have from DFW-LHR in J all of the seats are shown as assigned, yet ExpertFlyer shows J7 I7, etc. On AA.com it's possible to book at least 9 seats in business.
When I inquired with a res agent was informed that they are maintaining social distancing within the cabin so essentially a large portion of the seats are blocked.
Interestingly, was thinking about changing the flight bc I didn't feel comfortable with all the seats taken - so kudos to them.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Yeah maybe they figure it’s better to just block all the seats and then day of departure just assign people to seats and spread them out as much as possible.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Perhaps it has something to do with this:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-policies.html
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aztimm
Perhaps it has something to do with this:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2014214-coronavirus-relaxed-seating-policies.html
I'm sure you are correct - it's just more to notice FT people that you shouldn't necessarily worry your flight is packed when in fact the seating might be attractive from a disease standpoint.
aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by GaryZ
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
I'm sure you are correct - it's just more to notice FT people that you shouldn't necessarily worry your flight is packed when in fact the seating might be attractive from a disease standpoint.
Yea, nice to see that they are blocking seats. I don't have any plans to travel until fall (even those aren't set in stone), but knowing I wouldn't be sitting beside a stranger (hopefully) makes it a bit more palatable.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but on a flight I have from DFW-LHR in J all of the seats are shown as assigned, yet ExpertFlyer shows J7 I7, etc. On AA.com it's possible to book at least 9 seats in business.
When I inquired with a res agent was informed that they are maintaining social distancing within the cabin so essentially a large portion of the seats are blocked.
Interestingly, was thinking about changing the flight bc I didn't feel comfortable with all the seats taken - so kudos to them.
I assume AA50 as it sems to be the only DFW-LHR currently operating. But seat maps look normal, although very light, to me? Checked tomorrow through Saturday...
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA also specifically warns that seating adjustments may be made at the gate in order to achieve better separation. Bottom line is not to count on seat assignments for the time being.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Often1
AA also specifically warns that seating adjustments may be made at the gate in order to achieve better separation. Bottom line is not to count on seat assignments for the time being.
On my Monday flight I downgraded myself. It was horrible to fly on that 319 with the unwashed masses.

All 7 of them.
All kidding aside the 1st row was blocked but for some reason on Saturday I checked and the next upgrade was put next to me. I moved, and on Sunday somebody else got upgraded and put next to me again. I asked at gate and got new coach seat. No beverage service but FA came by and asked if I wanted anything.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by shaddie
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

On my Monday flight I downgraded myself. It was horrible to fly on that 319 with the unwashed masses.

All 7 of them.
All kidding aside the 1st row was blocked but for some reason on Saturday I checked and the next upgrade was put next to me. I moved, and on Sunday somebody else got upgraded and put next to me again. I asked at gate and got new coach seat. No beverage service but FA came by and asked if I wanted anything.
Row 1 of F is being blocked because of it's proximity to the galley. I thought AA was also blocking F aisle seats unless it was family members traveling together. So in that sense there would only be allowed 2 paxs in F on the 319.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George

Row 1 of F is being blocked because of it's proximity to the galley. I thought AA was also blocking F aisle seats unless it was family members traveling together. So in that sense there would only be allowed 2 paxs in F on the 319.
My guess would be the upgrade process hasn’t been tweaked yet. Pretty sure that stuff is on back burner for now.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Will AA fill those 4 seats blocked in row 1 if there are enough upgrades to take them? Or is it a hard block and a 738 for example now flies with only 14 seats up front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.