Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How many miles do I need? (MLE-DCA to MLE-HNL F award)

Old May 9, 20, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond

Iím not sure how to figure this out and need some help. I have MLE-DCA in First on an award flight. I just found out that Iím moving to Hawaii (HNL) before my trip goes. I know it will cost me to change the destination but I canít figure out how many miles it will actually cost me if I can find the routing. Thanks. I know some of it will be mixed cabin as well but the priority is the Etihad first class seat I have.
Old May 9, 20, 7:39 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Try to book a new mileage flight and it will show you how many miles are necessary for whatever dates/route you want, as they are sure to vary based on dates/cabin/carrier/etc.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old May 9, 20, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Try to book a new mileage flight and it will show you how many miles are necessary for whatever dates/route you want, as they are sure to vary based on dates/cabin/carrier/etc.
The issue is that there isnít First class from MLE-HNL so I have to book it segment by segment. I know MLE- CONUS is 115K. I just donít know how much it is for ďFirstĒ from MLE-HNL
Old May 9, 20, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 View Post
The issue is that there isnít First class from MLE-HNL so I have to book it segment by segment. I know MLE- CONUS is 115K. I just donít know how much it is for ďFirstĒ from MLE-HNL
You'll have some restrictions, to begin with - such as the principal operating airline making an unconstructed fare MLE-HNL. Iím guessing youíll have to add another award flight to your existing one, or redeposit the original award and take out a new one. See

Voluntary Award Change / changes: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, etc.

and

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old May 9, 20, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You'll have some restrictions, to begin with - such as the principal operating airline making an unconstructed fare MLE-HNL. Iím guessing youíll have to add another award flight to your existing one, or redeposit the original award and take out a new one. See

Voluntary Award Change / changes: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, etc.

and

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Im fine with paying to redeposit but I donít want to do anything that loses me the Etihad Apartments until I know if I even have enough miles to carry the trip on to HNL. If I donít I will change my final destination from DCA to LAX and just pay out of pocket for the short flight from LAX to HNL.
Old May 9, 20, 10:05 am

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Im fine with paying to redeposit but I donít want to do anything that loses me the Etihad Apartments until I know if I even have enough miles to carry the trip on to HNL. If I donít I will change my final destination from DCA to LAX and just pay out of pocket for the short flight from LAX to HNL.
There is no fare filed by EY from MLE-HNL so you are probably SOL getting it on one award. You'll probably need to pay 115k + 62.5k (if you take a flight to Hawaii with lieflats, 55k if not).
Old May 9, 20, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
There is no fare filed by EY from MLE-HNL so you are probably SOL getting it on one award. You'll probably need to pay 115k + 62.5k (if you take a flight to Hawaii with lieflats, 55k if not).
Maybe in not explaining with enough detail. I used AA points and Iím flying EY from MLE-AUH-JFK and then on AA from JFK-DCA. Iím not trying to book it all on EY, Iím just trying to figure out what it would cost miles wise to do India Subcontinent(Which I believe Maldives is) to HNL.
Old May 9, 20, 1:02 pm

Maybe in not explaining with enough detail. I used AA points and I’m flying EY from MLE-AUH-JFK and then on AA from JFK-DCA. I’m not trying to book it all on EY, I’m just trying to figure out what it would cost miles wise to do India Subcontinent(Which I believe Maldives is) to HNL.
140k, if you can find routing. I am not sure if they would allow transatlantic for it I don't see anything specifically addressing that about Hawaii. Remember only 4 segments in an award so from JFK you have to be able to get back to Hawaii in 2 segments.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

Open up the chart for from Indian Subcontinent and you can see the prices to Hawaii.
Old May 9, 20, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quitecryptic View Post
140k, if you can find routing. I am not sure if they would allow transatlantic for it I don't see anything specifically addressing that about Hawaii. Remember only 4 segments in an award so from JFK you have to be able to get back to Hawaii in 2 segments.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

Open up the chart for from Indian Subcontinent and you can see the prices to Hawaii.
Awesome. Thanks. Sorry I was confusing to all in what I was asking. I can find JFK-HNL in two stops pretty easy so I think I may be good. Thanks all.
Old May 9, 20, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Maybe in not explaining with enough detail. I used AA points and Iím flying EY from MLE-AUH-JFK and then on AA from JFK-DCA. Iím not trying to book it all on EY, Iím just trying to figure out what it would cost miles wise to do India Subcontinent(Which I believe Maldives is) to HNL.
We understand what youíre asking. But to get an itinerary on a single award, the airline has to have a revenue fare filed that for that routing. It look EY doesnít publish a MLE-HNL fare (I didnít check if this is the case, but Iím taking the other posterís word for it), then you canít get it as a single award, and itíll cost you 2 awards.
Old May 9, 20, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Djokison View Post
We understand what youíre asking. But to get an itinerary on a single award, the airline has to have a revenue fare filed that for that routing. It look EY doesnít publish a MLE-HNL fare (I didnít check if this is the case, but Iím taking the other posterís word for it), then you canít get it as a single award, and itíll cost you 2 awards.
As far as I know I donít need it to. I could have ended my trip in BWI and EY doesnít publish that fare. Itís all through AA. ???
Old May 9, 20, 7:31 pm

As far as I know I donít need it to. I could have ended my trip in BWI and EY doesnít publish that fare. Itís all through AA. ???
​​​​​​
EY does in fact publish a fare for MLE-BWI. AA has an award rule along the lines that the significant carrier (in this case EY as they are flying the longest segment) has to have a fare filed allowing the routing requested for an award. EY has a fare MLE-DCA (and BWI), but not MLE-HNL.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old May 9, 20, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

​​​​​​
EY does in fact publish a fare for MLE-BWI. AA has an award rule along the lines that the significant carrier (in this case EY as they are flying the longest segment) has to have a fare filed allowing the routing requested for an award. EY has a fare MLE-DCA (and BWI), but not MLE-HNL.
Ok I think Iím understanding now. So I should be able to do MLE-AUH-JFK-DFW/ORD/LAX because EY flys to those locations?
Old May 9, 20, 8:08 pm

Ok I think Iím understanding now. So I should be able to do MLE-AUH-JFK-DFW/ORD/LAX because EY flys to those locations?
Yes, sorry I didn't mention this before but the routing rules of the fare also apply, usually maximum permitted mileage +25% or routing based (i.e., MLE-AUH-JFK). I looked on ExpertFlyer.com and they do publish a fare allowing MLE-AUH-JFK-LAX, so you could fly that if space is available for 115k miles. Didn't check the other destinations, but they are probably allowed via JFK too.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old May 9, 20, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes, sorry I didn't mention this before but the routing rules of the fare also apply, usually maximum permitted mileage +25% or routing based (i.e., MLE-AUH-JFK). I looked on ExpertFlyer.com and they do publish a fare allowing MLE-AUH-JFK-LAX, so you could fly that if space is available for 115k miles. Didn't check the other destinations, but they are probably allowed via JFK too.
Thanks for the help. Anything that gets me closer to HNL without having to pay for it the better. Maybe I can snag the 32B transcon that flys that route.
iadisgreat likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: