Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American reducing flights to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
I think it is worth mentioning that many here in Hawaii had been having a conversation on the future of tourism in our state for some time before the corona virus quarantine shut it down. Overcrowding, ecological damage, inability of locals to enjoy prime sites, and cultural issues have all given us serious concerns. Several local jurisdictions have put severe limits on airbnb type vacation rentals, and some beach parks now have real limits on tourist access. So now we have been forced hit the pause button in a big way, and that conversation is getting more serious about what we do long term. There is widespread support for enforcing the arrivals quarantine, and people are being arrested and sent back to the mainland for violating it. Most of the clamor in relation to the quarantine is for stricter enforcement.

We are increasingly convinced that it will be a very long time before 30,000 people per day are once again willing to get on a plane to come here . . . whether we want them to or not. Mass tourism may not be in the cards for our future. Yes, we do depend on the tourism industry for a large chunk of our economy. Yes, people are already hurting badly. But if you know much about our culture, you will know that some things are more important to us than money. This has been a big wake up call that we need to diversify out economy, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. And some people may have to leave for greener economic pastures before the new normal is established.
Mayor of Maui has been making moves to limit / reduce budget tourism for some time, most recently prohibiting county beach commercial on Sunday https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-...ndays-holidays. From what I have been told, the Mayor did not publish the public notice required for such a vote, which explains "...Only two people showed up for the public hearing and no testimony was given..."

I personally agree that 30k arrivals per day is a bit excessive, particularly when much of the recent growth in popularity is from budget, less savvy travelers, with little knowledge of, respect for the fragile ecosystem, local culture. From this perspective, there is indeed some merit to tightening things up a bit.
KeaauFlyer likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
This thread took a total turn from the Original Posting and topic.

Hard to know what AA will do in July.

Can you wait and enjoy Hawaii later in the year? I'm seeing some good deals if you use AAdvantage miles to get into the F cabin for that trip over the Pacific Ocean.

Last edited by jcatman; May 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm Reason: Bad Spelling
Old May 6, 2020, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by jcatman
This thread took a total turn from the Original Posting and topic.

Hard to know what AA will do in July.

Can you wait and enjoy Hawaii later in the year? I'm seeing some good deals if you use AAdvantage miles to get into the F cabin for that trip over the Pacific Ocean.
Unfortunately, no. My daughter goes (hopefully) back to college the second week of August, so this was the latest we could book the trip and give her a few days at home before moving back out. My son will be a senior in high school and my wife is a coach at the high school.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:35 am

I am hoping for mid August. We have a trip planned using miles and if Hawaii is still enforcing the 14 day quarantine or restaurants/bars/beaches are still closed, it looks like no Hawaii for us this year. Time will tell.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
My sister in law is holding DFW-OGG tickets for late June on AA. Did they reverse course on halting service until mid August to the neighbor islands, or are cancellations still working their way through the schedule?
Old May 12, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stewlevine
My sister in law is holding DFW-OGG tickets for late June on AA. Did they reverse course on halting service until mid August to the neighbor islands, or are cancellations still working their way through the schedule?
Hard to say, with the unsure duration of the 14-day quarantine currently being imposed on all visitors to Hawaii. It's that quarantine which is making airlines cut Hawaii schedules to the bone.

All I can say is that the nonstop flights DFW-OGG in mid-June are not yet zeroed out except for Fri & Sat both directions, while all the connecting flights DFW-OGG are zeroed every day around then for one leg or the other, per an ExpertFlyer availability check right now.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:56 pm

I have 2 separate itineraries for my family, one way DFW-OGG and one way OGG-DFW, for June 8 - 17. I am 100% sure I will not be going. I have yet to cancel as I'm unsure if I'll get a refund (various flights purchased via British Airways avios, AA points, and normal fares). My flights to Maui did get switched from a 9:10 AM flight departure to an 11:00 AM flight departure, causing arrival time to be 88 minutes later. Am I right in assuming the DFW-OGG flight will be eligible for refund based on difference in arrival (over 60 min diff per policy). Should I wait until the day before to cancel both itineraries? What do you guys suggest? I really don't want vouchers but I suppose I could live with them.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
synnyster - we are on that same flight on the 8th, but coming home on the 15th. Based upon Hawaii government news the last two days - it appears highly likely that Hawaii will extend the 14-day quarantine until 30JUN. Thus I'm assuming AA will cancel these flights and I'll get the full refund. No matter what AA does we aren’t going. We canceled the condo back in April before the 60 “pay in full” date.

I didn't think the time change was sufficient enough to fall under the schedule change rules, but I'll let others answer that for you. We will hold off until the 7th and on the off-chance AA hasn't cancelled, then yes, I'll have to do the voucher (as was cash transaction)

Last edited by Illini_Fan; May 15, 2020 at 3:17 pm
Old May 19, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
I still have my DFW-OGG-DFW flights on 8JUN and 15JUN -- wondering when AA will cancel. I can't see them actually operating this flight in June.
The flight could be still operating, but simply without you.

The other concern of Hawaiian flights is cargo.
drjoechu likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, onePass
I canceled my NS DFW-OGG flights for September 16-24th back in beginning of April......we received full refund due to the uncertainty of COVID-19. I would call AA.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Originally Posted by nalismom
I canceled my NS DFW-OGG flights for September 16-24th back in beginning of April......we received full refund due to the uncertainty of COVID-19. I would call AA.
Thanks for the data point -- I was not aware that AA would issue cash refunds if the passenger cancelled the flight -- I thought that became a voucher. I'm wanting my $6K back instead of the voucher. Worse case is if AA doesn't cancel, I will on the morning of the 7th and get the voucher.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator reminder:

The topic here is “American reducing flights to Hawaii “; let’s keep on topic.

Discussion about Governor Ige’s recent declaration, Hawaii and COVID-19, etc. should be taken to the Hawaii Forum. More general discussion about shelter in place or reopening, as well as general discussion of the novel Coronavirus, belong in the Coronavirus Forum. Off topic discussion is subject to summary deletion.

More recent posts that are general discussion of Hawaii’s reopening to tourism / visitors have been moved to the Hawaii forum, where the Moderators may choose to merge the posts into an existing thread. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...tml?reportsent.

Thank you,

aztimm likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 11, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.