FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2016994-archive-help-desk-general-questions-re-aircraft-equipment-fleet-seats-ife-etc.html)

TWA884 Mar 13, 2017 9:26 am

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 28029442)
It's a nice place, but since OP's in Y, (s)he won't have access to it.

Actually, LHR-JFK in J and Y on the way back.

For the current thread, please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ife-etc.html

enviroian Jan 14, 2018 9:28 am

AA1295 Tomorrow

Tomorrow flying DFW-SEA I'm in 24B which according to AA.com is a bulkhead with no one in front of me. However, on seatguru this row doesn't exist and what is shown is as 3 class 321 (??) what the hell plane is that? J0 for this flight.

also will this plane have power outlets? I was on a mad dog Friday night from DTW-DFW in F and the outlets appeared to be the old cigarette lighter adapter.

AAMillionaire Jan 14, 2018 9:44 am

Seatguru is not very accurate and is not up to date. Trust aa.com.

Which flight are you on? It looks like on 2 of the non-stops row 24 is not an exit row.

enviroian Jan 14, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by AAMillionaire (Post 29291579)
Seatguru is not very accurate and is not up to date. Trust aa.com.

Which flight are you on? It looks like on 2 of the non-stops row 24 is not an exit row.

Flight 1295 at 1500

Antarius Jan 14, 2018 9:54 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29291585)
Flight 1295 at 1500

This looks like a LAA a321. 24 is the second exit row.

And yes, it has full IFE and power (normal) in all seats. The mad dogs are the only ones left, I believe, with cigarette lighter style plugs.

Also, it is J0, but 3 seats appear open, so cross your fingers!

enviroian Jan 14, 2018 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29291607)
Also, it is J0, but 3 seats appear open, so cross your fingers!

Thanks for the info!

Those seats are seats that have not been assigned. J0 = zero seats up front available or for sale.

Antarius Jan 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29291635)
Thanks for the info!

Those seats are seats that have not been assigned. J0 = zero seats up front available or for sale.

Or Y is near oversell and they have held some J or one seat was potentially mechanical but could be fixed or someone bought a flexible J and may not take the flight... etc.

J0 typically means you are SOL, but there is a small chance if there are unassigned seats. One can hope!

ashill Jan 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 29291525)
However, on seatguru this row doesn't exist and what is shown is as 3 class 321 (??) what the hell plane is that? J0 for this flight.

also will this plane have power outlets? I was on a mad dog Friday night from DTW-DFW in F and the outlets appeared to be the old cigarette lighter adapter.

Three-class A321s are used for JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO premium service. They occasionally show up on other routes which touch JFK, LAX, or SFO, but I don’t think they ever go to routes which touch none of those three like DFW-SEA. Yet more evidence never to trust SeatGuru.

Pretty sure the MD-80s are the only planes left in the fleet (maybe besides some old LAA 757s) that have DC power. No Airbus planes from LAA or LUS have cigarette lighter DC power.

enviroian Jan 15, 2018 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29292604)
Or Y is near oversell and they have held some J or one seat was potentially mechanical but could be fixed or someone bought a flexible J and may not take the flight... etc.

J0 typically means you are SOL, but there is a small chance if there are unassigned seats. One can hope!

Pretty much a moot point now as the entire flight is zeroed out!

Boarding chaos here we come.

okamzikprosim Jan 16, 2018 4:18 am

Can someone explain how a bit more how the boarding process on AA works?

1) I paid for MCE on the first leg and was Group 5, however I was instructed to board behind Group 8 due to my "row number." Boarding involved two lanes and there was no signage except for a sign that said "American Airlines Boarding" in between the two (no group numbers like at the gate of my second segment). Upon trying to board with people holding Group 8 tickets, I was placed into the back of a separate third line that formed behind more Group 8 ticket holders (while others were allowed to board) and told to wait 5 minutes by the agent - all while people continued to board via both lanes with all group numbers. There were no announcements of any kind until after I got to the podium and then the agent made an announcement saying "Rows 16 and above only" on the loudspeaker, like I did something wrong. Any ideas what was going on here?

2) On my second segment, I was Group 8 (not MCE seat on this segment). I moved three seats back and got Group 6 all of a sudden. An announcement was also made at the gate telling passengers without a group to board as Group 7, ahead of my original ticket. What exactly is the difference between Groups 6, 7, and 8? I know group 9 is basic economy, but what are the other main boarding groups other than 5? I really don't get it.

TWA884 Jan 16, 2018 9:28 am

Originally Posted by okamzikprosim (Post 29298667)

Groups 1-4 are First, Business and Premium Economy classes passengers, elite AAdvantage members, as well as active US military members, AAdvantage® Executive MasterCard holders, and passengers who bought Priority boarding.

Group 5 is for MCE passengers and holders of other AAdvantage credit cards.

Groups 6-8 are coach passengers.

Group 9 is Basic Economy.

(Source)

Antarius Jan 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by okamzikprosim (Post 29298667)

1) I paid for MCE on the first leg and was Group 5, however I was instructed to board behind Group 8 due to my "row number." Boarding involved two lanes and there was no signage except for a sign that said "American Airlines Boarding" in between the two (no group numbers like at the gate of my second segment). Upon trying to board with people holding Group 8 tickets, I was placed into the back of a separate third line that formed behind more Group 8 ticket holders (while others were allowed to board) and told to wait 5 minutes by the agent - all while people continued to board via both lanes with all group numbers. There were no announcements of any kind until after I got to the podium and then the agent made an announcement saying "Rows 16 and above only" on the loudspeaker, like I did something wrong. Any ideas what was going on here?

2) On my second segment, I was Group 8 (not MCE seat on this segment). I moved three seats back and got Group 6 all of a sudden. An announcement was also made at the gate telling passengers without a group to board as Group 7, ahead of my original ticket. What exactly is the difference between Groups 6, 7, and 8? I know group 9 is basic economy, but what are the other main boarding groups other than 5? I really don't get it.

1. Where were you flying from/to on flight 1? That isn't the standard boarding process

2. Group 6,7,8 are normal boarding and have to do with specific rows, seats and positions. This article is really old, but explains how it works (or used to).. except this does not include elites. A New Variation in Boarding an Airplane - Graphic - NYTimes.com

okamzikprosim Jan 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 29300352)
1. Where were you flying from/to on flight 1? That isn't the standard boarding process

HOG-MIA

tfizzle Jan 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Lie Flat from west coast to Was DC

Are there any lie flat beds from the west coast to any of the DC airports...?

wetrat0 Jan 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Not on AA. Delta flies LAX-DCA with lie-flats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...flights-5.html) and UA operates _some but not all_ SFO-IAD and LAX-IAD with lie-flats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lat-seats.html).