Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
Yeah, most of the time, it's not worth it to bother with seatguru. They're terrible at updating. Of the 4 versions of 757 shown on seatguru, only 1 of them is still current (the 16 seat one).

And yes, the 16 seat version is the international version. It's used extensively on domestic hops, as well.

These are the current threads for the 2 versions in the AA fleet:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ter-thd-2.html

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...seats-etc.html[/left]

This is semi-on topic, semi-aside here, so forgive me if it's found to not be relevant.

I think as not only displayed in this thread, but in similar threads related to aircraft and configurations, it may be worth considering having maybe a separate dashboard sticky that specifically relates to aircraft configurations, legitimate seat maps, and maybe even routes. Then in the current one keep the airport/lounge/hub kind of things as they're being planned.

I say this as there seems to be quite a bit of confusion from old information that is no longer applicable (like the 757 configs, or angle flats, or what have you) to any aircraft in the fleet. I'm going to speculate that most of these new questions come from a result of a google/engine search, which leads to an older thread, and that doesn't help much when it just confuses the person asking the question as they get bad information. It may be worth consideration that in the listing of current aircraft that any outdated thread be closed with the last post referencing that the information is outdated and a link to the aircraft dashboard.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
This is semi-on topic, semi-aside here, so forgive me if it's found to not be relevant.

I think as not only displayed in this thread, but in similar threads related to aircraft and configurations, it may be worth considering having maybe a separate dashboard sticky that specifically relates to aircraft configurations, legitimate seat maps, and maybe even routes. Then in the current one keep the airport/lounge/hub kind of things as they're being planned.

I say this as there seems to be quite a bit of confusion from old information that is no longer applicable (like the 757 configs, or angle flats, or what have you) to any aircraft in the fleet. I'm going to speculate that most of these new questions come from a result of a google/engine search, which leads to an older thread, and that doesn't help much when it just confuses the person asking the question as they get bad information. It may be worth consideration that in the listing of current aircraft that any outdated thread be closed with the last post referencing that the information is outdated and a link to the aircraft dashboard.
Good idea. It's being worked on. ^
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
Good idea. It's being worked on. ^
I did see a note about dashboard rework and a moderator workshop, so hopefully good things come from that. It still won't completely clear search results, but maybe the thread lock (which I see JD already locked the old 757 thread) and link would help. Even if it only helps 50%, that's better than none.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Current Business Class Seat Details - Trans Atl (to merge)

I'm having a check of a time getting a non-AA description of seats on trans Atlantic business class seats on AA. A bunch of blogs have the details, but they're a year old or older. I'm trying to figure out what type of seat is on specific current routes i.e., PHL - VCE or MIA - Milan. Am I missing a decent, useful section of aa.com or can someone otherwise help me figure out what product (along with a good review) is on what route?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dingo
I'm having a check of a time getting a non-AA description of seats on trans Atlantic business class seats on AA. A bunch of blogs have the details, but they're a year old or older. I'm trying to figure out what type of seat is on specific current routes i.e., PHL - VCE or MIA - Milan. Am I missing a decent, useful section of aa.com or can someone otherwise help me figure out what product (along with a good review) is on what route?
All transatlantic aircraft have fully flat seat-beds. What kind depends on the aircraft:

A330, B777, B787 all have individual “pod” type, all aisle access seats.
B757 has lie flat seat, but they’re in pairs
B763 have different seats, but lie flat and all aisle access

Every one of them spanks BA Club World seats.

Look in the Wikipost at the top of the pages for links to threads regarding specific aircraft and seats selection; see Post #2 fir a list of AA all aircraft with lie-flat Business and First class seats.

We have merged this query into the existing thread. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The aa.com booking engine will give you the plane type for you travel date/time
For VCE-PHL, this is generally the AIrbus 330-300
AA Airbus A330-300 / 333 [master thread]
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks. A few years back we were on a flight from Milan - Miami that was supposed to have had lie flat seats. They sucked. They were nearly lie flat in a 2x2x2 configuration. I forget if it was a 777 or 767 but it felt like it should have been one of the old US 757's they to run to Brussels from PHL. Basically, economy plus.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:25 pm

Thanks. A few years back we were on a flight from Milan - Miami that was supposed to have had lie flat seats. They sucked. They were nearly lie flat in a 2x2x2 configuration. I forget if it was a 777 or 767 but it felt like it should have been one of the old US 757's they to run to Brussels from PHL. Basically, economy plus.
That was then, this is now. You can View post #2 and see what kind of seat you have.

The old 767-300ER “NGBC” seat is long gone.

(OTOH, you can fly BA transatlantic and can rely on the “weight bench” width seat with folding ottoman foot rest the pruvacy partitions they serve food through and climbing over - or being climbed over - a reclining passenger for aisle access, even on their newest aircraft.)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Aircraft offering fully horizontal lie flat seats in Business / First.

See links to threads on specific aircraft and seating in Wikipost, above.

NOTE: All* widebody aircraft are being fitted with Premium Economy seating. In some instances, the required seat reduction is from Main Cabin Extra. All AA widebody aircraft and international 757-200s offer lie flat Business seats, other than US-Hawaii 757s offering standard recliners. All lie flat seats other than the 75L and 321T Diamond Parallel Seats are all aisle seat access.

Aircraft type - timetable designation - seat type (notes)

• Airbus A330-300 / 333: Zodiac - Sicma "Envoy Suite" (*No Premium Economy - leaving fleet by 2019)

• Airbus A330-200 / 332: Zodiac - Sicma "Envoy Suite"

• Airbus A321-200 Transcontinental / 321T: Zodiac Sicma solo suite (F - as 77W J seat); B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel seat pairs (J) (NOTE: aa.com lists A321T and reclining seat AA A321s with “Sharklets” wingtip devices variants as “32B” on aa.com; US non-Sharklets A321s are listed as “321”)

• Boeing 787-9/ 789: B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Solo (reverse herringbone, face forward)

• Boeing 787-8 / 788: Zodiac Concept D Business Suite (face fore and aft)

• Boeing 777-300ER / 77W: Zodiac Flagship Suite (F); Zodiac "Cirrus" Business Suite (J)

• Boeing 777-200ER/ 772: B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Solo (reverse herringbone, face forward)

• Boeing 777-200ER/ 772: Zodiac Concept D Business Suite (face fore and aft)

• Boeing 767-200ER / 763: Thompson Vantage 1 - 2 - 1 layout all aisle access

• Boeing 757-200 International / 75L: B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel 2 x 2 paired seats

Link - The AA Cargo Site offers Widebody schedules

Link - The (unofficial) AA Fleet Site offers configuration by individual aircraft registration (“tail”) number

Initial booking results on aa.com reveal aircraft types operated on routes
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by marnold3
I have a trip planned to Amsterdam in April that includes domestic legs on the A332. The outbound is flight 2083 (seat 1A) departing LAX at 8:25 AM and arriving PHL at 4:54 PM. The connecting flight is 204 (seat 2A) departing PHL at 6:40 PM and arriving AMS at 8:45 AM the next day. The return is flight 203 (seat 4J) departing AMS at 10:50 AM and arriving at PHL at 1:30 PM. The connecting flight is 700 (seat 1A) departing PHL at 3:50 PM and arriving LAX at 6:54 PM. Both transatlantic legs are on a 763 while both domestic legs are on the A332. I'm looking forward to this trip as I have never been on an American Airlines A332.
With this trip, I have now experienced every current premium international seat in the AA fleet. My very subjective ranking of them would be as follows:

77W F > 77W J ~ 789 J > 788 J > 332 J > 763 J
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:09 pm

772???
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
772???
covered by 788 / 789 above. 788 are the Zodiac motion/ocean seats on small set of the 772s and the 789 B/E diamond seats are on the balance (and majority) of the 772s
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
covered by 788 / 789 above. 788 are the Zodiac motion/ocean seats on small set of the 772s and the 789 B/E diamond seats are on the balance (and majority) of the 772s
But can the seats be exactly the same when the 787 cabin is 16 inches narrower than the 777 cabin?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:10 am

Not exactly, no.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
But can the seats be exactly the same when the 787 cabin is 16 inches narrower than the 777 cabin?
In theory they can be just angled differently (e.g., slightly more forward-facing on the narrower aircraft), although that probably has some knock-on effects on things like the shape of the footwell and the size of the console/shelf. Not sure if the bed length is any different, although I think that varies by seat, especially on the Zodiac. I don't think I've heard much griping about the 772 Zodiac vs. 788 or 772 SuperDiamond vs 789, so maybe the 772 version gets a slight edge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.