Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 2nd Tranche as of March 2020 w/ Super Diamonds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 3:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

The second tranche of Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner has begun to arrive. As expected, they’re delivered with the better Rockwell Collins (nee B/E Aerospace) Super Diamond Business Class seats.

This leaves AA with another split fleet in addition to the Boeing 777-200ER. 20 788 aircraft have the Safran (nee Zodiac) Concept D Business Suite (with the “motion over the ocean” seats and non-passengers adjusted privacy dividers) and 22 788 with enhanced Super Diamonds - once delivery is finished.

A look inside the newly delivered American Airlines Boeing 787-8 with ‘enhanced’ business class

Zach Griff, April 30 2020 — The Points Guy link

AA has already received two of these new planes. On March 17, the first new 787-8 Dreamliner for AA since 2017, with registration N870AX, flew from the Boeing factory in Everett, Washington to AA’s mega-hub in Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW). Since then, the plane has been parked in Tulsa (along with a good portion of AA’s fleet).And just yesterday, April 29, AA took delivery of its second new Boeing 787-8, with registration N871AY. AA expects to receive an additional 10 of these “baby” Dreamliners by the end of 2020, joining the company’s existing fleet of 20 787-8s.

But the Boeing 787-8 features an ‘enhanced’ version of the seat — never before seen on any AA jet. So, what does that mean?

Related: Best American Airlines seats ranked from best to worst

Well, AA modified its standard reverse-herringbone seat by adding a retractable privacy divider between the two center seats. American’s other planes that feature the Super Diamonds don’t have any divider between center seats, making them unpopular for solo travelers.
As well, the foot well in the enhanced version of this seat is reported to be larger than the existing 772 and 789 Super Diamond foot well.

American Airlines enhanced business class on the Boeing 787-8. (Photo courtesy of American Airlines, via TPG)

Last edited by JDiver; May 3, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Old May 2, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Nearly a 50/50 chance (eventually) between smiling or frowning when you enter that Forward Cabin on an American 787-8.

Beautiful seat.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:27 am

Seems like a missed opportunity to match new Delta or British Airways suites...
Old May 3, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
Seems like a missed opportunity to match new Delta or British Airways suites...
AA was testing business suites. Could debut in 2023.
Potential AA business suites
Old May 3, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin787
Theiretically, that would be the time the second tranche of 787-9s begin arriving.

Practically, I don’t expect AA to do much other than bring them in OTB with Super Diamonds, given the likely position AA will be in after the novel Coronavirus’ catastrophic effects on airlines.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:33 pm

Might go back to MRTC (and IFE/power at every seat) with higher fares? If I recall, it wasn’t MRTC that failed, it was several external factors around that time that were more important.

i bet suites will still come.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JDiver

I'm not sure how practical a coat hook is in that position, and I'm wondering what that thing is to the left of the hook. It looks like a giant ashtray. Overall the seat looks pretty cramped, but if it eliminates the problem with your seat rocking and rolling when the adjacent passenger moves it will be a big improvement.
JDiver and TEBraniff like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by Stripe
I'm not sure how practical a coat hook is in that position, and I'm wondering what that thing is to the left of the hook. It looks like a giant ashtray. Overall the seat looks pretty cramped, but if it eliminates the problem with your seat rocking and rolling when the adjacent passenger moves it will be a big improvement.
I don't think that is a coat hook, I think it's a hook to hang the headphones on.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:14 pm

That layout will never replace the good old 747 FC with lounge. Never having flown internationally in the last ten years I cannot image how difficult it is to find you seat in what looks like a mass parking lot.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
I don't think that is a coat hook, I think it's a hook to hang the headphones on.
It looks like a reading light to me in a 1×4 LED grid.

James
dw, DFW_CK, IflyonAA and 3 others like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:40 am

That’s a reading light and magazine/tablet holder.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Meanwhile AA is spending millions to continue to densify the rest of the 738 and A321s

Why can’t they spend this time and money to harmonize their premium cabins on their 777 and 787-8?
Old May 4, 2020, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Meanwhile AA is spending millions to continue to densify the rest of the 738 and A321s

Why can’t they spend this time and money to harmonize their premium cabins on their 777 and 787-8?
AA have speeded up the Oasis retrofitting to keep idled mech staff working.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
If recent history is any indicator, AA testing proprietary seating is a scary thought.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:26 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

The seats are quite expensive, and right now demand for J is so low that it doesn't matter.

Longer term, I would expect the split fleets to stay until AA decides that it needs a new type of seat to be competitive. Given that they are likely only going to be flying 777s and 787s (and probably A332s for a while longer), it seems like it would be reasonable to replace everything with the same new seat. But airlines hang on to J seats for a long time -- EK has 2-3-2 J with middle seats!
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.