Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 2nd Tranche as of March 2020 w/ Super Diamonds

Boeing 787-8 2nd Tranche as of March 2020 w/ Super Diamonds

Old May 17, 20, 2:15 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IND/NYC
Programs: AA EXP BA Silver SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Whatís with all the dislike about the Concept D seats? I actually look forward to each time I get to fly in them. My favorite ones are the rear facing seats. Iíve never noticed any motion over the ocean problems (weíre on a plane thatís going to be bumpy in turbulence anyways!). Can someone help me understand what makes these seats so undesirable? Iíve flown in the 77W business seat and Iíve experienced the super diamond on both the 789 and 772 as well and Iíve experienced the 321T F seat. I find my favorite is the Concept D rear facing seat because of the rear facing concept and find it to just be a more comfortable flying experience.
Mainly, the size coupled with rocking, lack of privacy, and storage. I'm not the biggest guy, but at 6' I still feel cramped. I do like the novelty of the backwards window seat but will take a 77W or B/E seat any day over concept D. I remember reading somewhere that what was planned for concept D versus the executed version is night and day (due to cost cutting).
saltytheseagull is offline  
Old May 17, 20, 4:01 pm
  #32  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 7,344
My shoulders always seem to be bumping into the side wall too....plus the ridiculous seat rocking is such a design flaw.....does anyone at AA actually sit in these seats before they buy them (Oasis fiasco as well)?
AANYC1981 is offline  
Old May 17, 20, 4:31 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Whatís with all the dislike about the Concept D seats? I actually look forward to each time I get to fly in them. My favorite ones are the rear facing seats. Iíve never noticed any motion over the ocean problems (weíre on a plane thatís going to be bumpy in turbulence anyways!). Can someone help me understand what makes these seats so undesirable? Iíve flown in the 77W business seat and Iíve experienced the super diamond on both the 789 and 772 as well and Iíve experienced the 321T F seat. I find my favorite is the Concept D rear facing seat because of the rear facing concept and find it to just be a more comfortable flying experience.
They're small, poorly appointed, lack storage, and IMO they're really not that comfortable. The 77W seat was far superior and AA should have stuck with that from the beginning.
AANYC1981 likes this.
cmd320 is offline  
Old May 17, 20, 4:57 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 3,600
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Whatís with all the dislike about the Concept D seats? I actually look forward to each time I get to fly in them. My favorite ones are the rear facing seats. Iíve never noticed any motion over the ocean problems (weíre on a plane thatís going to be bumpy in turbulence anyways!). Can someone help me understand what makes these seats so undesirable? Iíve flown in the 77W business seat and Iíve experienced the super diamond on both the 789 and 772 as well and Iíve experienced the 321T F seat. I find my favorite is the Concept D rear facing seat because of the rear facing concept and find it to just be a more comfortable flying experience.
Lack of space, especially leg room is the biggest negative for me. I've never been able to get a decent sleep on an overnight flight in those seats.

I find them tolerable on day flights (e.g. westbound TATLs), but still way inferior to 77W or B/E seats.
econ is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 6:46 pm
  #35  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LAX
Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Posts: 1,442
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
You donít mind your seat/bed shaking on and off for 8-10 hours while youíre trying to sleep?
How would you even notice compared to all the plane shaking from the outside air? i've never noticed anything.
matrixwalker2012 is offline  
Old May 23, 20, 6:56 pm
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
How would you even notice compared to all the plane shaking from the outside air? i've never noticed anything.
Thatís sort of like saying how can you even tell the difference between a kid poking the crap out of the touchscreen on your seat back and light turbulence. Theyíre just very different feelings.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Nov 6, 20, 10:38 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: None
Posts: 105
N872AN is the first of these new 787-8s to enter service. Beam5192 posted a tour on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The 787-8 also has new Economy Class seats.
Prospero likes this.
Ishrion is offline  
Old Nov 7, 20, 2:35 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,265
Originally Posted by Ishrion
N872AN is the first of these new 787-8s to enter service. Beam5192 posted a tour on his story: https://www.instagram.com/beam5192/

The 787-8 also has new Economy Class seats.
could you screenshot please? Iím not on insta
gateH15 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 20, 3:10 pm
  #39  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 21,768
Originally Posted by gateH15
could you screenshot please? Iím not on insta
You can use the ImgInn shadow feed
https://imginn.com/beam5192/
Prospero is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 1:26 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,265
Originally Posted by Prospero
You can use the ImgInn shadow feed
https://imginn.com/beam5192/
Y cabin looks beautiful so as J. I wonder if first row of 1 will have a cutout in the bulkhead. Didnít see it captured on the video
gateH15 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 4:38 pm
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Iíve still been unable to view these images. YMMV
cmd320 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:22 pm
  #42  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,501
So there's probably a 1% chance you'll get this new seat and a 99% chance you'll get the older seats? Flying on a 787-8 next month up front.
FlyDeltaMD88 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 7:44 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: None
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
So there's probably a 1% chance you'll get this new seat and a 99% chance you'll get the older seats? Flying on a 787-8 next month up front.
At the moment, AA has 23 787-8s in its fleet. Of these, four are stored including one of the new 787-8s.

Two of the new 787-8s are currently active. They may rotate off and on from cargo-only flights. Statistically, you've got a 10.5% chance of flying one of the new 787-8s assuming no more 787-8s are stored or brought out of storage, but that's highly likely going to change next month.
Ishrion is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 8:56 pm
  #44  
CLT
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DCA/CLT/HKG
Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Posts: 704
Those new Y seats look bloody uncomfortable compared to the present ones found on the long-haul fleet. It also looks like they did away with the IFE remote in Y.
CLT is offline  
Old Nov 9, 20, 9:07 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Posts: 1,885
Originally Posted by CLT
Those new Y seats look bloody uncomfortable compared to the present ones found on the long-haul fleet. It also looks like they did away with the IFE remote in Y.
"Something special in the air....."
jcatman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread