Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unsure of award choices to Japan. AA or JL / JAL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unsure of award choices to Japan. AA or JL / JAL?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by dkc192
EF does not support JL award/upgrade classes, so your alert would never fire even if Z did open. You'll want an Award Nexus subscription instead.
Sorry... I meant that the alert is set up for Z on AA. Did a couple of test runs and noted that it will pull awards for the AA codeshare JL flight.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Sorry... I meant that the alert is set up for Z on AA. Did a couple of test runs and noted that it will pull awards for the AA codeshare JL flight.
Awards must be booked on prime/operating carrier flight numbers and into prime flight inventory. The fact that there is Z on the AA codeshare flight number is irrelevant. You need Z on the JL flight number and that alone.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for the information in this thread. We are going on a leisure trip to Japan next April, booked RSW-DFW-HND,AA-JL, J Class, for 45K and then
HND-DFW-RSW, All AA, F Class for 70K (J was 60). Even though I understand the AA F is nothing special, I thought my spouse would enjoy it
for only 10K more.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Piggybacking on this thread, I’ve never flown JAL F, but if you were doing a quick 4 day turnaround (losing 24 hours of that on flights) on points to Japan assuming borders were open and given that the hypothetical you spent a couple times a year in Japan in a normal year, would it be worth it to you to spend 13 extra hours in Japan and save 12,000 miles (68k vs 80k) flying AA J, or losing 13 hours and flying in JAL F from either LAX or SFO?
Old May 27, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by seigex
Piggybacking on this thread, I’ve never flown JAL F, but if you were doing a quick 4 day turnaround (losing 24 hours of that on flights) on points to Japan assuming borders were open and given that the hypothetical you spent a couple times a year in Japan in a normal year, would it be worth it to you to spend 13 extra hours in Japan and save 12,000 miles (68k vs 80k) flying AA J, or losing 13 hours and flying in JAL F from either LAX or SFO?
At that point the mileage requirements are almost irrelevant, it really comes down to whether you want/need an extra 13 hours on your trip or not, and only you can make that call.

That said, sAAVer business to Japan is only 60k, so at 68k you're paying AA inflated "web special" pricing; For only a 12k delta for JL F I'd be leaning that way for sure if the extra time wasn't a big deal.
seigex likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
At that point the mileage requirements are almost irrelevant, it really comes down to whether you want/need an extra 13 hours on your trip or not, and only you can make that call.

That said, sAAVer business to Japan is only 60k, so at 68k you're paying AA inflated "web special" pricing; For only a 12k delta for JL F I'd be leaning that way for sure if the extra time wasn't a big deal.
Granted, it's my call but I'm wondering what others would do in my situation as I can't seem to decide on this one. Going there for a turn around to finish my JTTP application before it expires and I lose my recency travel requirements and have to start the process all over again and to get out of the house and back on an overseas flight, assuming I'm even able to go, so time isn't that necessary as long as I get there.

I booked the 68k web special (now up to 78k), as the 1:30am flight for the day I leave has no sAAver space (if it shows up i'll definitely take it), AAnytime space for that flight is 450k miles , and no other AA metal directs available on miles.

I'm definitely leaning towards the JAL F though heading there, thanks for the thoughts.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
I am guessing that all First class travel will suffer until this pandemic is over.My limited experience flying in the US domestically has shown me that the only thing that will matter is the seat and possibly the IFE. Lavish meal service and other F perks are probably gone for awhile.Hopefully someone will post the current service levels/meals on JAL in F so we all can decide what to do.

Originally Posted by seigex
Granted, it's my call but I'm wondering what others would do in my situation as I can't seem to decide on this one. Going there for a turn around to finish my JTTP application before it expires and I lose my recency travel requirements and have to start the process all over again and to get out of the house and back on an overseas flight, assuming I'm even able to go, so time isn't that necessary as long as I get there.

I booked the 68k web special (now up to 78k), as the 1:30am flight for the day I leave has no sAAver space (if it shows up i'll definitely take it), AAnytime space for that flight is 450k miles , and no other AA metal directs available on miles.

I'm definitely leaning towards the JAL F though heading there, thanks for the thoughts.
econ and seigex like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007
I am guessing that all First class travel will suffer until this pandemic is over.My limited experience flying in the US domestically has shown me that the only thing that will matter is the seat and possibly the IFE. Lavish meal service and other F perks are probably gone for awhile.Hopefully someone will post the current service levels/meals on JAL in F so we all can decide what to do.
This is a great point. I'll have to do some twitter/JAL forum research to see how things are looking right now.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:22 pm

Looks like the decision was made for me. All of the JAL F availability that was there yesterday is gone today. So unless it comes back, looks like LAX-HND (AA J ) and HND-LAX (JAL F).
Old May 27, 2020, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
JL F > JL J > AA J > AA F

Assuming AA roll a 77W on this it's a close call between JL J and AA J. I would even say I prefer the AA J hard product. JL certainly has better service and food, so it depends what is more important to you. AA F is frankly terrible, and after my last few experiences with the product, I would much rather be in 3A on the 77W than AA F. I wouldn't fly AA F unless I had an expiring SWU and absolutely nothing else to use it on and no one who wanted me to gift it to them.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:50 pm

The AA flight is 789 (AA169).. but turned out the flight I wanted in JAL F was still open, which adds an LAX-SFO leg and a short layover at SFO before taking JAL1 (773) to HND. I’ll get there at 3pm which is 2.5 hours earlier than the LAX-HND JAL F, gives me enough time to do what I need to do and then enjoy the city before I head back.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
i read somewhere that japan might pay you to visit them. if that's the case, just paying cash might make more sense.
Old May 27, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by dunno282
i read somewhere that japan might pay you to visit them. if that's the case, just paying cash might make more sense.
There was talk about that, but it turned out it was just for domestic travel, didn’t apply to international travel.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
JL F > JL J > AA J > AA F

Assuming AA roll a 77W on this it's a close call between JL J and AA J. I would even say I prefer the AA J hard product. JL certainly has better service and food, so it depends what is more important to you. AA F is frankly terrible, and after my last few experiences with the product, I would much rather be in 3A on the 77W than AA F. I wouldn't fly AA F unless I had an expiring SWU and absolutely nothing else to use it on and no one who wanted me to gift it to them.
After reading a few bloggers experience with first and business class travel today I would not pay extra for F. What they describe is almost a hospital like service and amenities.All meals sealed in bags etc,no wine etc. It is looking pretty poor for now.I am unsure of what it will be like in 2021 but for now it looks grim.
Old May 29, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007
After reading a few bloggers experience with first and business class travel today I would not pay extra for F. What they describe is almost a hospital like service and amenities.All meals sealed in bags etc,no wine etc. It is looking pretty poor for now.I am unsure of what it will be like in 2021 but for now it looks grim.
Are you talking on AA or JL? Can you post a link to the blog? Would be interested to read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.