Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unsure of award choices to Japan. AA or JL / JAL?

Unsure of award choices to Japan. AA or JL / JAL?

Old May 3, 20, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
JAL F is a special experience: the meticulous service, the food/beverage (especially from JAPAN) and the hard product is top notch, and really gets you a feel of Japan before you get there.

For AA J you get just paying for a flat bed. AA F gets you a bigger flat bed + Flagship First Dining in DFW/LAX. The AA service is a hit or miss. The food is generally a miss (though they are apparently doing a collaboration with JAL chefs for the Japanese meal).

Everyone has a different value towards things, so it is hard to say which is the best. That being said I would personally choose AA J, but I think all three options are reasonably priced with respect to their value.
AA Japanese meal in J I had last summer was top notch.
Old May 3, 20, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex_I View Post
AA Japanese meal in J I had last summer was top notch.
I have never had a J meal on AA that was "top notch", but the same goes for JL and NH.

F is where JL (and NH, to a lesser but still significant extent) puts AA to shame.
Old May 18, 20, 7:59 pm

What if your choices were AA J @ 45k, AA F @ 55k or JL J @ 60k from DFW-HND/NRT? Which would you go with? We have ~350k AA miles, but are trying to stretch them as best as possible. Planning to fly to PPT before returning to the US so Japan-US route not an option.
Old May 18, 20, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by BCasc View Post
What if your choices were AA J @ 45k, AA F @ 55k or JL J @ 60k from DFW-HND/NRT? Which would you go with? We have ~350k AA miles, but are trying to stretch them as best as possible. Planning to fly to PPT before returning to the US so Japan-US route not an option.
Personally, Iíd take AA J. 45k to Japan in J is a really good deal. I wouldnít bother with AA F.

If the J mileage rates were the same, I might be inclined to pick JL since it has has superior food & service, but as far as the seat itself, I prefer AA (unless itís the Zodiac seat). JLs IFE isnít that great either.
BCasc likes this.
Old May 19, 20, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BCasc View Post
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Personally, Iíd take AA J. 45k to Japan in J is a really good deal. I wouldnít bother with AA F.

If the J mileage rates were the same, I might be inclined to pick JL since it has has superior food & service, but as far as the seat itself, I prefer AA (unless itís the Zodiac seat). JLs IFE isnít that great either.
Agree that 45k for TPAC J is probably the winner in terms of value here. Forget about AA F.
BCasc likes this.
Old May 20, 20, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
I ended up booking to go back on AA in J for 45k as I could get get any of the JAL F routings that made sense .AA switched planes to a 777-200 on the way there which is a disappointment.Hopefully I will not get the rocking seats.We are on the 777-300 on the way back.Let us see if the 777-200 sticks for the departure
Old May 20, 20, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tilto007 View Post
I ended up booking to go back on AA in J for 45k as I could get get any of the JAL F routings that made sense .AA switched planes to a 777-200 on the way there which is a disappointment.Hopefully I will not get the rocking seats.We are on the 777-300 on the way back.Let us see if the 777-200 sticks for the departure
If you can get yourself on a 789, those are guaranteed to not have the rocking seats (in addition to the 77W).
Old May 21, 20, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Curious to know if anyone has had success with the following: splitting a 2 leg award trip into two classes of service

Currently, we're booked on a return from SIN to SFO. We have a layover in HND. We're in J all the way as I was able to snag saver awards a few weeks ago (Trip isn't until Feb 2021). I checked AA.com last night and noted that JL has F awards seats available, but it's only J out of SIN to HND and F from HND to SFO. CX was listed as an option but it also only offer J from SIN to HKG then F to HND to connect to the JL flight with F available.

Is it possible to keep the J award for the SIN to HND leg but seek to have F leg for the HND to SFO portion?
Old May 21, 20, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
Curious to know if anyone has had success with the following: splitting a 2 leg award trip into two classes of service

Currently, we're booked on a return from SIN to SFO. We have a layover in HND. We're in J all the way as I was able to snag saver awards a few weeks ago (Trip isn't until Feb 2021). I checked AA.com last night and noted that JL has F awards seats available, but it's only J out of SIN to HND and F from HND to SFO. CX was listed as an option but it also only offer J from SIN to HKG then F to HND to connect to the JL flight with F available.

Is it possible to keep the J award for the SIN to HND leg but seek to have F leg for the HND to SFO portion?
Sure it's possible the the cost will still be an F award. If it's an already ticketed booking then I believe it would cost you a change fee + difference in points between a J redemption and an F redemption. So for SIN-SFO J on partner airlines is 70k and F is 110k. Going from J to F will cost an extra 40k miles and a change fee (if modifying an existing ticket). It would be J from SIN-HND and F from HND-SFO.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by quitecryptic View Post
Going from J to F will cost an extra 40k miles and a change fee (if modifying an existing ticket).
AA waives change fees when moving up into a different cabin, so in this case OP will just need to pay an extra 40k miles.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 1:22 am

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Hawaiian Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham/Caesars Diamond
JL in F/J if it's available. I would only entertain AA in F if I was on a miles budget and got to experience Flagship Dining - even then I'd lean JL unless the AA itinerary had notably more favorable departure/arrival times or I was traveling with a partner. Most people who've flown JL have said it's hands-down the best in-flight dining experience, even in J. And they're known for having very private cabins, even in their 2-3-2 business class (even the middle seat has direct aisle access due to their unique layout).
Old May 22, 20, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ajf87 View Post
JL in F/J if it's available. I would only entertain AA in F if I was on a miles budget and got to experience Flagship Dining - even then I'd lean JL unless the AA itinerary had notably more favorable departure/arrival times or I was traveling with a partner. Most people who've flown JL have said it's hands-down the best in-flight dining experience, even in J. And they're known for having very private cabins, even in their 2-3-2 business class (even the middle seat has direct aisle access due to their unique layout).
I wholeheartedly endorse JL F, and at 80k miles one-way from Japan/Korea to the US it is a worthwhile experience. That said, while I would certainly choose JL J over AA J if the prices were equal, I'm not sure I'd say the same when AA J is 25% cheaper (45k vs 60k miles, as indicated upthread). At the end of the day, IMHO F is all about a luxurious splurge and fun experience, whereas J is primarily about getting to one's destination in a comfortable manner, with frills like dining and lounges a distinct secondary concern.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
At the end of the day, IMHO F is all about a luxurious splurge and fun experience, whereas J is primarily about getting to one's destination in a comfortable manner, with frills like dining and lounges a distinct secondary concern.
Depending on how soon the flight is, I'd hesitate on spending more on F rather than J, only because I'd assume that F experience these days (perhaps others can confirm recent JL F experience) isn't as enjoyable as it once was a short while ago.

Or perhaps, at least the difference between J & F may not be worth as much.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by econ View Post
Depending on how soon the flight is, I'd hesitate on spending more on F rather than J, only because I'd assume that F experience these days (perhaps others can confirm recent JL F experience) isn't as enjoyable as it once was a short while ago.

Or perhaps, at least the difference between J & F may not be worth as much.

Thanks.... This was a thought I had when I checked today and noted that I "missed" the opportunity to snag F seats for the HND-SFO return. Two days later, it's an option. But we're not interested in being in Japan for two days even with the perk of knowing we'd be in F on JL for the return. It's a 20+ day pre/post- vacation already that includes a 14-day cruise prior to us leaving SIN at this point. Next time... But I've set up an EF alert in case Z fares become available for the last leg of the trek.
Old May 23, 20, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post
But I've set up an EF alert in case Z fares become available for the last leg of the trek.
EF does not support JL award/upgrade classes, so your alert would never fire even if Z did open. You'll want an Award Nexus subscription instead.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: