Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

American Airlines Strengthens Requirement Customers Wear Face Coverings on Board

Link to full article
  • New policy is effective Wednesday, Aug. 19
  • Allowed face coverings must be worn correctly, covering the nose and mouth, and only can be removed briefly for eating and drinking
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics are also not allowed
FORT WORTH, Texas Effective Aug. 19, 2020, and following the most recent recommendations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face coverings with exhausts valves or vents will no longer be allowed for travel with American Airlines. The CDC notes that face coverings with one-way valves or vents allow exhaled air to be expelled through holes in the material. These can allow exhaled respiratory droplets to reach others and potentially spread the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Wearing a face covering is a responsibility we all share. An effective covering, worn properly, is one of the best ways we can control the spread of COVID-19 to protect our team members and customers, said Alison Taylor, Chief Customer Officer at American. Since American began requiring face coverings in early May, the vast majority of customers have welcomed our continuing efforts to strengthen the policy based on the CDCs guidance.

American began requiring face coverings on board its flights in May and, in July, announced it would only allow exemptions for customers under 2 years old. The airline requires all other customers to wear a face covering from the time they enter the airport where their trip begins until they leave the airport where their trip ends.

Based on the updated CDC guidance, below are examples of face coverings customers can and cannot wear while traveling with American.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...es-OPS-DIS-08/

Allowed:

• A well-secured cloth or mask that fits snugly against the face and covers an individuals nose and mouth. It must be made of a material that prevents the discharge and release of respiratory droplets from a person's nose or mouth.

Not allowed:

• Face coverings with exhaust valves.
  • Face coverings made with materials such as mesh or lace fabrics.
  • Face coverings that do not cover the nose and mouth.
  • Face shields without the addition of a face covering.
Only children under the age of 2 are exempt from Americans face covering policy. Customers without an approved face covering will be provided with an approved one, upon request, at the airport. Face coverings can only be briefly removed while the customer is eating or drinking. Customers will be reminded of these guidelines throughout their time traveling with American. Those unwilling to comply with Americans face covering policy at any time during their journey may be denied boarding or barred from future travel for the duration of this policy.

A face covering is required while flying on American, except for very young children or anyone with a condition that prevents them from wearing one. You also may be required by local law to wear a face covering in the airport where your trip begins, where it ends or where you connect.
  • Please bring your own face covering to use while traveling. While limited quantities of face coverings may be available at the gate, they will not be available for every customer on every flight.
  • Be sure your face covering is on before you board the plane and wear it during your flight. If youre not exempt from wearing a face covering and decline to wear one, you may be denied boarding and future travel on American.
  • Your face covering may be removed to eat or drink, but please put it back on when youre done.

Details of the updated policy for face coverings will be communicated to American Airlines team members this week, and the policy will go into effect June 16. American also requires team members to wear face coverings while at work.[/quote]

PRIOR POLICY as of 1 May 2020
Link to AA News story

Flight Attendants must wear masks as of Friday, May 1, 2020.

Passengers must wear masks as of Monday, May 11.

Print Wikipost

AA Passenger Facial Cover / Mask Use Policy 2020 (Inc. changes)

Old May 1, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I will be interesting to see reports on here on the quality and integrity of the masks that AA will hand out to passengers.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm glad to hear AA is doing this. While most of us are in good health, the use of masks is to protect others. It's nice to see AA taking some responsibility to do what they can to make flying as safe as it can be. Nothing is going to be perfect but at least they are trying.

I've seen a few people post how masks don't protect you. As other's have stated, you are protecting others and if we all wear masks then we are doing everything we can to protect ourselves.

I was sent a funny meme that somewhat puts this into perspective. Thought I'd share:

"If we all run around naked and someone pees on you, you get wet right away. If you are wearing pants, some pee will get through, but not as much. So you are better protected. But if the guy who pees also is wearing pants, the pee stays with him and you do not get wet". Obviously it's not a perfect analogy but it made me laugh and the idea is sound.
chrisny2, FAA1996 and ajf87 like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by remedy
This may be their excuse to stop serving food or drink during flights entirely!
I mostly only fly long haul, minimum 4,500 miles for the most part, usually closer to 6,500 miles, so I don't think it's realistic to expect they'll remove food and beverages from those flights. But certainly can see it on short flights. What pisses me off though is AA or (whichever carrier) passing that cost onto the passenger. Last time I was at JFK T2 in March (JL flight), all the vendors wanted near $5 for a single bottle of cola. This price gouging from airport vendors should have been banned back after 9/11 when liquids were banned through security, but that's another tread for another day. I think if AA stops service on board then they should have a cart in the boarding area selling drinks at/near cost. Or TSA could get their head out of the sand and get liquid screeners at the checkpoints like many other countries and allow passenger brought drinks into the airport.

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Yes but then will they allow people to bring on food and beverage? I do think one of the permanent features will be no beverage service in Y on sub 500 mile flights (maybe a cup of water) and no meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles.
Mainline carriers have never prevented people from bringing their own food and beverages onboard (well non-alcoholic beverages). That's an LCC thing. But if they aren't going to do any service then I'd certainly like to be allowed to open a few cans of beer (on longer flights) or bring my own mini-bottles of gin/vodka/whisky, whatever my taste is that day to make my own cocktail. If they do go that route, there has to be some give and take, a certain number of people still want to drink (adult beverages) when they fly.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
AA's video on this and other issues: https://player.vimeo.com/video/41381...tle=0&byline=0
Old May 1, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Purely a hypothetical (I'm not flying anytime soon. I'd certainly wear a mask if I had to fly -- regardless of whether it is required or not): What happens if someone simply refuses to wear a mask for whatever reason deemed not "exempt" by AA? Would AA just give them a voucher for future travel?
Old May 1, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Purely a hypothetical (I'm not flying anytime soon. I'd certainly wear a mask if I had to fly -- regardless of whether it is required or not): What happens if someone simply refuses to wear a mask for whatever reason deemed not "exempt" by AA? Would AA just give them a voucher for future travel?
I believe that the pilot has the right to refuse passage to any passenger and technically for any reason.

If there is a published rule that says you will wear a mask when you fly with us, and you choose to disobey that rule, you can be off-boarded.

Would that outcome be any different than pulling out a cigarette on a plane prior to departure and saying that you are going to smoke it as soon as the flight is airborne, whether the staff like it or not?
ajf87 likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:21 am

If I refuse to wear a mask will I not be allowed to fly? This is not mandated by the FAA.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well I'm at LAX and just heard an announcement that snack bags will be provided as paxs board. So naturally to consume it one would need to remove their masks. My flight back to MIA is over 2,2K miles so I'm not sure if F will continue to get the one tray meal or the snack bag as well. I can't imagine the snack bag is very appealing.

I've got a shock of airport prices having an AC membership all these years I've gotten food or beverage there and for out stations I've usually gotten a hotel with a complimentary breakfast. The other day an egg sandwich, some fruit and an ice coffee was over $18. That AC membership assuming you're not picky about food is well worth it. I'll kiss the floor of the MIA AC when it re-opens.
ksucats and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
RIGHT?

My guess is that AA will have gate agents checking that everybody has a mask as they board the plane.
No mask, denied boarding. I guess Hudson News will start selling them, so the GA can send you back there to buy yours if you don't have it.
No compensation for denied boarding due to not having a mask.

Of course, once on board, it will be difficult to enforce and I am sure a lot of people will put it down or store it away.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I believe that the pilot has the right to refuse passage to any passenger and technically for any reason.

If there is a published rule that says you will wear a mask when you fly with us, and you choose to disobey that rule, you can be off-boarded.

Would that outcome be any different than pulling out a cigarette on a plane prior to departure and saying that you are going to smoke it as soon as the flight is airborne, whether the staff like it or not?
Yeah, I get that you can be kicked off or denied boarding. Rather, I'm asking what your rights are -- can you just call AA up and say "you guys changed the terms on me, you sold me a ticket, now you're making me wear a mask on a 6 hour flight and I hate wearing masks and think they're uncomfortable and I think this virus thing is BS anyway, you changed the terms on me, you owe me a refund"?
ksucats likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Yeah, I get that you can be kicked off or denied boarding. Rather, I'm asking what your rights are -- can you just call AA up and say "you guys changed the terms on me, you sold me a ticket, now you're making me wear a mask on a 6 hour flight and I hate wearing masks and think they're uncomfortable and I think this virus thing is BS anyway, you changed the terms on me, you owe me a refund"?
Aren't things pretty flexible under the current rules anyway? (I have not followed in detail - not planning to fly in the next 30 days).
Old May 1, 2020, 1:15 pm

Count me out

I don't want or need to fly AA badly enough to wear a face covering.
ksucats and kingstontoon like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by kc4601
I don't want or need to fly AA badly enough to wear a face covering.
You're probably not going to have a choice if you want to fly any airline in the not too soon future.
radonc1, FAA1996 and ajf87 like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
Aren't things pretty flexible under the current rules anyway? (I have not followed in detail - not planning to fly in the next 30 days).
Good question. Even if so, what if they don't want to be stuck with a voucher and want a full refund? On one hand, AA is making a major change to the "deal" by forcing someone to wear a mask when that wasn't a term when the ticket was sold. On the other hand, AA probably has something in their T&Cs / COC that they can can cite to CYA on this one.

<response to deleted post>
ksucats likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; May 11, 2020 at 7:20 pm Reason: response to deleted post removed
Old May 1, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Here's my best guess. They will have a supply of disposable masks at the ticket counter. If someone shows up without a mask, they will hand one over.

If they run out, then the passenger will not get a boarding pass and will be asked to procure their own mask somehow. I can imagine enterprising home-sewers setting up sidewalk vending for masks, so that passenger can go outside, get a mask, then come back.

Personally, I plan, once I can start flying again, to get four or five homemade cloth masks and take them with me in my carry-on. That way I can switch to a new, fresh mask when I feel it necessary and won't have to rely on the airline-supplied masks. Once at my destination, I can wash out the dirty masks, hang them up to dry overnight and then go on my business.

Where I live, there are plenty of under- and un-employed people making a few bucks selling masks. I have no problems buying masks from them thus helping keep their families afloat.
skylady, aztimm, carlosdca and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.