Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

For nostalgia would you book mileage J class on a BA 744 vs a 772 AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For nostalgia would you book mileage J class on a BA 744 vs a 772 AA

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
I've never done it before and you obviously have the pictures to prove it, so I defer to you. I checked this before making my comment, and it confirmed what I thought to be the case: https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...rt/us-int.html
However, you would need valid documentation to transit Canada if you're not a citizen of USA or Canada.
A valid document could be an eTA or transit visa issued by the Canadian Embassy.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I will wait to pull that trigger more so as I'm worried about that plane not being around in BA inventory at that time. I am an EXP so I would be able to snag one of those coveted seats.

I already changed my Sunday DFW-RDU-LHR flight to another Sunday flight but DFW-ORD-LHR primarily because it was 43K miles vs 57.5 and it leaves later in the evening.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by enviroian
I will wait to pull that trigger more so as I'm worried about that plane not being around in BA inventory at that time. I am an EXP so I would be able to snag one of those coveted seats.
In that case keep an eye out for saver F awards on the BA 747. Per my note above it would be well worth the difference. I believe the saver F award is 85K versus 57.5 for J, but it may go for less as a web special. As an EXP you can get 1 A or K on the 747. BA releases those seats in advance only to their Gold card holders and OW Emeralds. They won't budge for anyone else, even for lower status companions.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stripe
In that case keep an eye out for saver F awards on the BA 747. Per my note above it would be well worth the difference. I believe the saver F award is 85K versus 57.5 for J, but it may go for less as a web special. As an EXP you can get 1 A or K on the 747. BA releases those seats in advance only to their Gold card holders and OW Emeralds. They won't budge for anyone else, even for lower status companions.
I didn't think that that web specials are offered on partner airlines, so would be 85k vs 43k - BA 1st class is a pretty decent business class, but no way would I pay much more for BA 1st - save the miles for use on a decent airlne
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I didn't think that that web specials are offered on partner airlines, so would be 85k vs 43k - BA 1st class is a pretty decent business class, but no way would I pay much more for BA 1st - save the miles for use on a decent airlne
LOL. Plus the BA YQ. US$410 from YVR. $684 from DFW.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Plus the BA YQ. US$410 from YVR. $684 from DFW.
Actually - to UK, it seems to be surprisingly lower ( as mentioned by OP ) at $260 - but $260 plus 42,000 miles would be an insane (imo) rate to pay to move from business on AA to 1st on BA
Old May 3, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Actually - to UK, it seems to be surprisingly lower ( as mentioned by OP ) at $260 - but $260 plus 42,000 miles would be an insane (imo) rate to pay to move from business on AA to 1st on BA
I was quoting YQ for BA F from AA.com, plus 85K.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
OP was willing to pay the higher YQ for BA J, and the YVR-LHR routing had other advantages to him, so if he ultimately decides to go with BA the incremental 27,500 miles to sit in 1 A or K on the 747 would be worth it IMO.
hp12c likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Web specials are not available on partners as mentioned above. And BA F awards still charge the crazy high fees, its only business that has been reduced.

So the choices would essentially be:

BA F award: 85k miles + $680
BA J award: 57.5k miles + $280
AA J web special: 42k miles + $5.60

This is a no brainer, AA web special by a mile, as the OP has done thankfully.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
BA F award: 85k miles + $680

I didn't realize the YQ delta was this much.

Yeah, okay decision made I will thoroughly enjoy my AA 772 for $5.60 tax. That's literally throwing money away.

Thank you for your tips and suggestions.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 5:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Hopefully you'll be going for more than 2 weeks to make the trip worthwhile:
The UK government plans to bring in a 14-day quarantine for arrivals from anywhere except the Republic of Ireland, airlines say
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52597437
Old May 9, 2020, 5:18 am

Things may change in 6 momths though, but it is something to be aware of as a risk
Old May 9, 2020, 8:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aztimm
Hopefully you'll be going for more than 2 weeks to make the trip worthwhile:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52597437
the quarantine requirement is likely published tomorrow and looks to begin the end of this month, rumor is no end date allowing government fthe flexibility to announce an end date when ready. Transit will apparently remain unaffected, assuming a traveler has somewhere to go where they’ll be accepted or will accept quarantine.

But as was posted elsewhere,

I don’t know who is thinking they will go to the U.K. to have a nice vacation.

The entire country is locked down. Nobody is allowed to leave home except for food, medical attention, or essential work. No tourist attractions are open. Restaurants are closed.

The U.K. has no constitutional right for people to travel freely nor do they have a 4th amendment. Police can and do randomly stop people for no reason at all except to inquire about their travel plans. Those traveling unnecessarily are ticketed and/or charged.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...an-and-cant-do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.