Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flew Domestic Yesterday and It was Very Safe

Old Apr 27, 20, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I had to visit two customers. I flew one trip with UA in the morning and another in the afternoon with AA (all within CA). Can't remember the last time I could do that!

I have to say both AA and UA are trying really hard now. The planes were santizied to the point of smelling like a hospital. The FA were handing out disinfectent wipes etc. They said even after my near empty short haul the aerosol disinfected the entire plane.

So if you have to travel then now is a good time, you've got more chance of catching this nasty virus at your local supermarket than you do on a plane. The airports are almost completley empty as well so no queueing and very little chance of coming in contact with anyone unless your staring into your phone and run into them.

*If* you have to I'd fly now rather than waiting for loads to get above 33% (i.e. more than one person in a row).
Old Apr 27, 20, 8:25 pm

I am so glad you see their was no Covid 19 virus anywhere near you. Sarcasm intended.
Old Apr 27, 20, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
I am so glad you see their was no Covid 19 virus anywhere near you. Sarcasm intended.
Sarcasm duly noted but I will say I'm amazed/disturbed but sadly not surprised by the attempt from some quarters to shame anyone who tries to give us a piece of good news tied to a return to normalcy. I've talked to my friends in the industry and in the real world and most of them a desperate to get back to work for a variety of reasons (mostly tied to economic survival) so find the attempts at shaming so strange. Life has risks, anyone who doesn't want to take a risk in the current environment should absolutely be respected but so should those who think differently. Just my opinion from someone being asked to cut yet more jobs next Monday and desperately trying to figure out how not to....but flame away.
cmd320, Spanish, g289t and 27 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by bgreenwood View Post
Sarcasm duly noted but I will say I'm amazed/disturbed but sadly not surprised by the attempt from some quarters to shame anyone who tries to give us a piece of good news tied to a return to normalcy. I've talked to my friends in the industry and in the real world and most of them a desperate to get back to work for a variety of reasons (mostly tied to economic survival) so find the attempts at shaming so strange. Life has risks, anyone who doesn't want to take a risk in the current environment should absolutely be respected but so should those who think differently. Just my opinion from someone being asked to cut yet more jobs next Monday and desperately trying to figure out how not to....but flame away.
Everyone should be able to take as many risks as they want for themselves; but that doesn't mean you have the right to risk others' lives—given asymptomatic spread, that's exactly what going back to work now is..

I don't know a single person who doesn't want to revive the economy and return to normalcy as quickly as possible. There's a clear path to that: it's mass testing and contact tracing, and it's baffling to me that the people who seem to be shouting the loudest about the return to normalcy aren't interested in what it will clearly take to get there.
Old Apr 27, 20, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Not sure you understood my point

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
My point is that I could have stayed at home over the weekend and I would have been in contact with more people than the people I came in contact with whilst I traveled.

In fact during my trip to home depot this morning I was in contact with more people in that store and waiting in line that I came in contact with during my entire Saturday trip.

So I would have had a *greater* chance at transmiting (or receving) the virus staying at home.

Originally Posted by bgreenwood View Post
Sarcasm duly noted but I will say I'm amazed/disturbed but sadly not surprised by the attempt from some quarters to shame anyone who tries to give us a piece of good news tied to a return to normalcy. ....but flame away.
Right, I meant it to be a sign of positive news. People are depending on me for a pay check and if I can travel safely why not? And I don't meant just my employees, I mean my clients are depending on me so they can pay their own employees.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 27, 20, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant View Post
My point is that I could have stayed at home over the weekend and I would have been in contact with more people than the people I came in contact with whilst I traveled.

In fact during my trip to home depot this morning I was in contact with more people in that store and waiting in line that I came in contact with during my entire Saturday trip.

So I would have had a *greater* chance at transmiting (or receving) the virus staying at home.
Not if you hadn't left your home at all as you're supposed to, according to some people.
Old Apr 27, 20, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
Everyone should be able to take as many risks as they want for themselves; but that doesn't mean you have the right to risk others' lives—given asymptomatic spread, that's exactly what going back to work now is.
Right, but if I get in contact with 50 people staying at home or 20 people traveling how is risking more lives?

I guess your saying we should just stay at home period. No work, no going out to supermarkets, exercise etc? That will be tough to do until there is a vaccine. Testing won't be very useful unless they test you each and every day.
Old Apr 27, 20, 9:25 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Contact tracing- literally a term NO ONE had ever heard of until a month or so ago, yet everyone now seems to parrot it like it’s some panacea.

We used to refer to this now sanitized term as “big brother” or “mass surveillance.”

I agree with the OP- never has there been a safer and better time to fly. Planes are the cleanest they have likely been since their days being assembled.
Old Apr 27, 20, 9:29 pm

Well as usual the shaming crowd says things that no-one else said like "not interested". etc. We're all very interested. Saying we aren't doesn't make it so...How "baffled" you are is completely up to you my friend. I for one truly appreciate the info re the steps the airlines are taking to try to make flying safe for everyone. Have an American codeshare flight (Qantas) in July to Australia to visit my ailing parents and very hopeful (but not optimistic) I'll be able to go (dual citizen so return not an issue...quarantine def is)
Old Apr 27, 20, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
Contact tracing- literally a term NO ONE had ever heard of until a month or so ago, yet everyone now seems to parrot it like it’s some panacea.

Planes are the cleanest they have likely been since their days being assembled.
I don't mind the extra surveillance, so much, but how will it work with a virus where most people don't show symptoms? What is there to trace?

Back on topic. The planes are very clean, but most importantly are completely empty. I literally wasn't within 5 rows of anyone (much more than six feet).
Old Apr 27, 20, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I had to visit two customers. I flew one trip with UA in the morning and another in the afternoon with AA (all within CA). Can't remember the last time I could do that!

I have to say both AA and UA are trying really hard now. The planes were santizied to the point of smelling like a hospital. The FA were handing out disinfectent wipes etc. They said even after my near empty short haul the aerosol disinfected the entire plane.

So if you have to travel then now is a good time, you've got more chance of catching this nasty virus at your local supermarket than you do on a plane. The airports are almost completley empty as well so no queueing and very little chance of coming in contact with anyone unless your staring into your phone and run into them.

*If* you have to I'd fly now rather than waiting for loads to get above 33% (i.e. more than one person in a row).
THERE.
I fixed your original post.

It is nice to hear that AA is taking this seriously and is apparently doing what they say in THEIR emails (about sanitizing, etc).
Old Apr 27, 20, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't mind the extra surveillance, so much, but how will it work with a virus where most people don't show symptoms? What is there to trace?

Back on topic. The planes are very clean, but most importantly are completely empty. I literally wasn't within 5 rows of anyone (much more than six feet).
I just had a return to ORD that required a connection in DFW and both flights were extremely clean. As mentioned, you could actually smell the sanitizer onboard, the AVOD on both flights were clearly wiped down before departure, and flight attendants wore masks walking the aisles. Social distancing was accommodated on both flights as well.

Lastly, realize some people have legitimate reasons to travel, even in a pandemic, so keep your chastising personal judgements off the board.
Old Apr 27, 20, 10:27 pm

Hopefully airlines keep up this cleaning well after the virus is behind us. But $omething tell$ me that won’t happen.
Old Apr 27, 20, 10:32 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Congrats on a safe flight takeoff, cruise and landing! BUT- As far as COVID safe flight, tell us that in about 7-10 days

Since you can be an asymptomatic spreader/carrier or already exposed, seeing 100 locals can be much safer overall than traveling with a handful of people plus seeing an out of towner if the cities are at different stages of the outbreak.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 27, 20 at 10:38 pm
Old Apr 28, 20, 1:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
Contact tracing- literally a term NO ONE had ever heard of until a month or so ago,
This is literally not true. Some of us had heard of contact tracing long before a month ago, and some of us even know what it means and how to do it (or try in an outbreak of this scope). That's in pretty stark contrast to most of the BS being spewed on FT, TV, and most other places.
travelmad478, MarkOK and BenA like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: