Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

tickets expiring in November? (ticket expiration & extension)

Old Apr 23, 20, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club plat-Hertz 5*-AA gold-Marriott gold-Hilton silver

"Plus, if you have a ticket that is expiring between March 1 and September 30, 2020, the value of your unused ticket can be used for travel through
December 31, 2021."

The above is copied from the AA website. I don't understand why somebody with a ticket expiring on Sept. 30 has an additional 17 months to use it, but our tickets that expire 2 months later get no extension. We had to cancel our spring break trip and want to be able to use our tickets to go somewhere. But if we aren't able to travel this summer, we will not be able to use them for anything other than a quick 2 day getaway over a weekend because of school/sports.

It seems to me that the policy should be all tickets that were rebooked because of Covid can be used before 12/31/21. Hopefully, we will be able to travel this summer and it won't matter to us.
Old Apr 23, 20, 9:17 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
"Plus, if you have a ticket that is expiring between March 1 and September 30, 2020, the value of your unused ticket can be used for travel through
December 31, 2021."

The above is copied from the AA website. I don't understand why somebody with a ticket expiring on Sept. 30 has an additional 17 months to use it, but our tickets that expire 2 months later get no extension. We had to cancel our spring break trip and want to be able to use our tickets to go somewhere. But if we aren't able to travel this summer, we will not be able to use them for anything other than a quick 2 day getaway over a weekend because of school/sports.

It seems to me that the policy should be all tickets that were rebooked because of Covid can be used before 12/31/21. Hopefully, we will be able to travel this summer and it won't matter to us.
If your flights during spring break were actually cancelled by AA, you should be able to get a cash refund upon request.
Old Apr 23, 20, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
If your flights during spring break were actually cancelled by AA, you should be able to get a cash refund upon request.
I don't think they were actually cancelled. I guess it is possible they cancelled them, but we cancelled 3 or 4 days before we were scheduled to go because of Covid. None of the flights had been cancelled at that time by AA.
Old Apr 23, 20, 9:33 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I don't think they were actually cancelled. I guess it is possible they cancelled them, but we cancelled 3 or 4 days before we were scheduled to go because of Covid. None of the flights had been cancelled at that time by AA.
Can you check to see if AA cancelled the flights after you cancelled your tickets? If they did, I think you may still have the right to obtain a cash refund to the original form of payment.
Old Apr 23, 20, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Can you check to see if AA cancelled the flights after you cancelled your tickets? If they did, I think you may still have the right to obtain a cash refund to the original form of payment.
I don't know how to check to see if flights were cancelled from last month. I didn't think that would be an option, otherwise I would have tracked them better.
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
If a passenger cancels before AA, the passenger is not entitled to a refund, unless there has been a policy change I haven't seen.
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
December 31, 2021."

When did you buy your ticket? You have at least a year from the issue date.
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
When did you buy your ticket? You have at least a year from the issue date.
I bought it last fall - I think in October. We currently just have until November. Doesn't make any sense to me that somebody who bought the same ticket 2 months earlier than me would have another 13 months to use it than we do.
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Neither AA by contract or policy nor DOT by rule requires a refund if one voluntarily cancels for a credit and the flight is later cancelled by AA.

In OP's situation, I would call AA and ask. Making "it doesn't make sense" or "it's not fair" arguments to front line agents is not likely to work. Simply explain what you need and ask if it can be done. Barring that, I would figure out what I wanted to rebook to and then call back and ask if that can be done (although the schedule may not be that far out yet).
Old Apr 23, 20, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Neither AA by contract or policy nor DOT by rule requires a refund if one voluntarily cancels for a credit and the flight is later cancelled by AA.

In OP's situation, I would call AA and ask. Making "it doesn't make sense" or "it's not fair" arguments to front line agents is not likely to work. Simply explain what you need and ask if it can be done. Barring that, I would figure out what I wanted to rebook to and then call back and ask if that can be done (although the schedule may not be that far out yet).
Yeah, that is my issue. We will want to use the tickets on a summer trip. I called the other day and discussed with the gold rep (who seemed very knowledgable) my options. If I rebook them for a trip late this summer, I am locked into it (without high change fees). They only waive the change fees once per ticket. It is too soon to book anything for 2021 summer. I guess at this point, (unless AA policy changes again) I am stuck waiting until July to see what is going on. At that point, if things are open we will book somewhere to go. If not, I will try to get something for June 2021. If they don't let me do that, I will just book a 2 day getaway for November and hope something cancels or the policy changes to let me book soething I actually want the next summer.
Old Apr 23, 20, 1:12 pm

I bought it last fall - I think in October. We currently just have until November. Doesn't make any sense to me that somebody who bought the same ticket 2 months earlier than me would have another 13 months to use it than we do.
This came up in another thread. I've always been able to exchange a ticket by the one-year deadline (and thus "use" the ticket being exchanged) for travel after the one-year deadline. Some have said they've been unable to do this. However, I've done that several times in the last 20 years, including with AA agents over the phone and with travel agencies.
Old Apr 23, 20, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It seems that while expanding the change policies for Covid-19, that agent discretion has been hemmed in. Makes it easier to adjust the policy, which has happened several times and will likely happen again, without having to retrain an entire work force.
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:25 pm

Call or send an email to customer service. They may offer an E Voucher. If they give you an E Voucher it will expire in one year from the voucher issue date. We did this , now the problem is if we purchase tickets for a flight next spring we may go through this again. Next spring they may not be so generous and we'd loose all the money.
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raptor2 View Post
Call or send an email to customer service. They may offer an E Voucher. If they give you an E Voucher it will expire in one year from the voucher issue date. We did this , now the problem is if we purchase tickets for a flight next spring we may go through this again. Next spring they may not be so generous and we'd loose all the money.
Thanks. I will try calling again in a week or two and will ask about an E Voucher if the answer is still that my new flight must be prior to the end of November. (I am still hopeful that the country will open back up enough this summer that there is something we can go do. I am open to many things because we are anxious to get out of here especially with a spring break to Florida cancelled and a June cruise (still not officially) likely cancelled. We just want to make sure that whatever we do that things are open.
JPG3392 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: