Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Marriott Data Breach and Locking, Changing AAdvantage Accounts

Marriott Data Breach and Locking, Changing AAdvantage Accounts

Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
same here
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
+1

I declined the "opportunity" to change my AAdvantage number.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Everything seems to have worked out

Everything appears to have been merged into my new account.
And as a data point, I did not use the same log in credentials for Marriott and for AA.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
Originally Posted by card1953
Everything appears to have been merged into my new account.
And as a data point, I did not use the same log in credentials for Marriott and for AA.
My credentials were also not the same either although I did have to call Marriott to be able to access that account. It's possible the passwords were the same at some point in the past.

Other than total miles in AAdvantage account, nothing else has transferred. How long did it take for your info to completely merge?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA Lifetime Plat., Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Took AA about 6 days to get it all transferred. Does anyone else think that AA has a problem and is not telling anyone?? My accounts were not tied together, my passwords and user names were different. I just get a feeling we are not getting the whole story from AA
Old May 1, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Houston Infinite Platinum
Took AA about 6 days to get it all transferred. Does anyone else think that AA has a problem and is not telling anyone?? My accounts were not tied together, my passwords and user names were different. I just get a feeling we are not getting the whole story from AA
Finally at day twelve, all but reservations appears to be transferred. I have at least 1 trip per week and the not having access to reservations online in the AAdvantage account has been awful. EXPLAT line changed all my reservations over manually today! Big Thank you for that!
Old May 1, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
I just got the email about Marriott and my AAdvantage account. I have no recollection of tying my AA account to Marriott and my earning preference has always been "points". I have a 7-number AA account since the day they started the AAdv program that's been drilled into my head for 39 years now. I have no desire to change it.

BTW: Happy Birthday AAdvantage!!!
Old May 4, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsieds
Finally at day twelve, all but reservations appears to be transferred. I have at least 1 trip per week and the not having access to reservations online in the AAdvantage account has been awful. EXPLAT line changed all my reservations over manually today! Big Thank you for that!

How many times did you have to call in to nudge them along? For me, today it's been 6 calendar days, and redeemable miles have finally transferred, but NONE of the following: status, MM, EQMs/EQDs, Member Since, profile info, contact info, KTN, etc.

Should I give it more time or call now? Thanks! (and yes, I know I will have to call in when the process is over to have them manually add the new number to all existing PNRs)
Old May 4, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
How many times did you have to call in to nudge them along? For me, today it's been 6 calendar days, and redeemable miles have finally transferred, but NONE of the following: status, MM, EQMs/EQDs, Member Since, profile info, contact info, KTN, etc.

Should I give it more time or call now? Thanks! (and yes, I know I will have to call in when the process is over to have them manually add the new number to all existing PNRs)
I called again at day 12 when I everything but the flights transferred.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by inlanikai
I just got the email about Marriott and my AAdvantage account. I have no recollection of tying my AA account to Marriott and my earning preference has always been "points". I have a 7-number AA account since the day they started the AAdv program that's been drilled into my head for 39 years now. I have no desire to change it.

BTW: Happy Birthday AAdvantage!!!
I got hit too. Sad that I have a new AA# after 20+ years. How long will it take me to memorise the new one, esp. with the lack of travel. Sad day
Old May 5, 2020, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Redhead
I got hit too. Sad that I have a new AA# after 20+ years. How long will it take me to memorise the new one, esp. with the lack of travel. Sad day
I took the option of declining the new number. I have one which is all numbers (no letters) and that means a lot to me.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
I took the option of declining the new number. I have one which is all numbers (no letters) and that means a lot to me.
It wasn't presented to me as an option. I was just told they would be changing it. As long as I don't lose my "member since" date, I can deal with it.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by ESpen36
It wasn't presented to me as an option. I was just told they would be changing it. As long as I don't lose my "member since" date, I can deal with it.
They are trying to not phrase it as an option, but I knew from research that the option existed. It comes with a statement that IF you are hacked they reserve the right NOT to replace the miles. But all they got, from Marriott, was my AA number, not my password. And I use all "complex" passwords which are different for every site I access. So, since people can already get my AA number in many different places I was willing to accept some risk.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:22 pm

Got locked out today. 800 number call escalated to Executive Liaison where I was told about the hack,

I had to give up my AA number that was 35 years old so now I'm a "new" member.

Like others:

New Password
New User name
New Email.

Miles transferred at once but status and MM count not there yet.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdix
Got locked out today. 800 number call escalated to Executive Liaison where I was told about the hack,

I had to give up my AA number that was 35 years old so now I'm a "new" member.

Like others:

New Password
New User name
New Email.

Miles transferred at once but status and MM count not there yet.
I'm not sure I understand the "New Email" part, although I would think just changing the password would have been enough anyway.. I mean, they are not asking you to change your email address for communications with AA, are they?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.