Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Experience with AA reprotecting C class to BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

In the past, when AA has had IRROPS on a transatlantic C class flight (ie, using eVIP), AA has reprotected onto BA metal (booked as either the AA codeshare or even onto the BA flight number). That happened to me twice, on day of departure. Has anyone had an actual experience (rather than speculation), when AA has cancelled its flight several months in advance and the AA metal alternative (in this case, 8 hours earlier), won't work? The first agent I spoke with said they won't reprotect in BA business, but will if I downgrade. It's my understanding that the AA/BA joint venture does provide for reprotection in the originally ticketed cabin (ie, business).
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
In the past, when AA has had IRROPS on a transatlantic C class flight (ie, using eVIP), AA has reprotected onto BA metal (booked as either the AA codeshare or even onto the BA flight number). That happened to me twice, on day of departure. Has anyone had an actual experience (rather than speculation), when AA has cancelled its flight several months in advance and the AA metal alternative (in this case, 8 hours earlier), won't work? The first agent I spoke with said they won't reprotect in BA business, but will if I downgrade. It's my understanding that the AA/BA joint venture does provide for reprotection in the originally ticketed cabin (ie, business).
No, for schedule changes in advance, AA will not rebook you in the upgraded cabin on another carrier.

In this case your originally ticketed cabin is economy, so the agent was correct in that if you wanted to downgrade back to economy then they could rebook you on BA (most likely as the AA codeshare flight number).

There's a big difference between schedule changes in advance and day of departure irrops.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Every time my SWU / VIP has been protected on BA (going back to when one couldn’t earn AA miles flying BA USA-UK or v.v.) has been during IROPS / OSO. A couple of times there were schedule changes the upgrade was maintained only on AA metal, though that required less desirable changes.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP himself points out that his prior experience has been with IRROPS. This is not IRROPS.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EP
Generally no. But was recently rescheduled on a cxld lAX Dfw FCO with a SWU to LAX LHR FCO and agent booked LHR FCO and AA protected the upgrade on the BA leg.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Wow -- I'm surprised AA provided business on the BA leg. So AA does sometimes does reprotect C onto a BA flight.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I had a trip to HK in August (fingers crossed I can take it), cleared with SWU when booking, then the DFW>HKG flight cancelled. We were rebooked on CX in J.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:30 pm

same here - DFW-NRT cancelled on AA with an SWU. Protected on JL (I)
mcdullhk88 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Irroped to BA once, worked out great as became direct flight and even ended up getting J miles/eqd not Y
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
to AA for evidently relaxing this policy a bit given the current situation. Makes sense given the lack of AA metal long haul options.
asnovici and JDiver like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I had a trip to HK in August (fingers crossed I can take it), cleared with SWU when booking, then the DFW>HKG flight cancelled. We were rebooked on CX in J.
Months ago, my AA HKG-LAX (UG to J with SWU) was cancelled. I was rebooked on CX in J as well.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Months ago, my AA HKG-LAX (UG to J with SWU) was cancelled. I was rebooked on CX in J as well.
During IIRROPs they definitely have a lot of latitude to rebook. My IAH-LAX was delayed due to MX and then WX resulting in missing LAX-SYD and I was booked on
1. LAX-SYD the next day2. LAX-HKG-SYD
3. LAX-MEL-SYD

All in J. Basically jump on the first one that I could.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:20 am

They did in the past but who knows what the future holds.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Aeroplan 75K
My YVR-LAX-NRT-HKG AA/JL (Y>J SWU) flights in mid March were cancelled. Surprised that they rebooked me on the direct CX flight in J.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I didn't have luck in mid-March.

I was forced to fly Hkg KUL NRT DFW DCA btv all in J class in AA codeshare or AA in the end. No dice on hkg JFK xxx btv.

But I got 4500 EQD instead of 350 EQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.