Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Parker sees Americans “regularly flying again” by September 30th

Old Apr 16, 20, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

Link :

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...terview-2020-4
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Honestly I dont think it's going to be until sometime between Marchtember One-Teenth and June 50th of 2021.
lalala, GaryZ, JB OmahAA and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If we have 20% unemployment that's not gonna happen. Parker has a habit it seems of saying stupid, unfounded statements.
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Passengers like the new seating..... (or something to that effect).
JB OmahAA and SouthernCross like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Fifth quarter of the year.
Old Apr 16, 20, 3:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
I'm not a terribly religious person, but I pray that things get back to "normal" and that he's right. I just found out that a former colleague in her 40s died (presumably from COVID), it makes me so sad.
scoonee likes this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I consider the title of the article to be more relevant:

American Airlines' CEO said he has no idea when travel will get back to normal

aztimm, Gerbs and TPJ like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
I assume Parker also is trying to sell that bridge in Brooklyn or swampland down in Florida. Will fanatics like us fly? Of course. But I think the general public, especially those well off enough to take six to twelve holiday flights per year, and business travelers, who are seeing that video conferences, as lousy as they can be, might still be better than traveling thousands of miles away for a possibly useless meeting, are going to start curtailing their regular traveling.
Old Apr 16, 20, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver Elite, United Club, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
that aint gonna happen, how can he truly think that will. happen? WI just announced another month, and I'm sure more states will follow. Load factors will be under 50% until halloween earliest.
Old Apr 16, 20, 10:59 pm

We will be 2 quarters away from some semblance of normalcy for the next 6 to 8 quarters.
Danwriter and FAA1996 like this.
Old Apr 17, 20, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post
how can he truly think that will happen? WI just announced another month, and I'm sure more states will follow. Load factors will be under 50% until halloween earliest.
Different states relaxing restrictions, lockdowns, etc. at different rates, and in different political environments, will kick a giant dent in AA's (and the other airlines') comeback plans. We're going to see crippling second waves of COVID illnesses / deaths in states that relax too fast. Interstate travel will be inadvisable in many cases -- it will be scary-risky to fly into an unregulated hot zone suffering many COVID deaths. Without uniform national policy the country will splinter into safer and less safe zones. And that's before you account for the economic damage, unemployment, etc.

i think there is no widespread "want to fly again" sentiment for 12 to 18 months, and there is a list of high-risk cities and states in my head I will not willingly fly to for, at this writing, years to come. I expect some AA crews will feel the same.
koreanair720 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Apr 17, 20, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
Honestly I dont think it's going to be until sometime between Marchtember One-Teenth and June 50th of 2021.
I like how you did that!
Old Apr 17, 20, 5:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
It's all opinion, so no one can really say he's wrong until we're through this...but I think he's way off base here. Every day an end to this seems a LITTLE further away. Once there's a vaccine, that's when I think we'll see REAL change, to this point we don't even have testing at a 10/10, it's at like a 4/10. Also, when flu season rolls back around, it'll be another test.

If we're testing at really great rates by September, like throwing tests around. Like testing everyone multiple times, not just once...then I think we'll see stuff turn.

Full scale travel, especially leisure...boyyyy...Spring break 2021? I think that would be my "target" if I were an airline exec. One would hope business travel and some leisure travel (like me) will kick in well before that Spring Break 2021, but I don't think we're gonna have stags of 8-15 guys going down to Vegas, or Cancun...or going to visit Grandma in Florida etc until we're really through the thick of this. Until people can be confident that not only will they not get sick, but that our standards of clean are good enough.
Old Apr 17, 20, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM lifetime Platinum, Expedia +gold +++
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I like how you did that!
Hehehe, I actually took it from one of my favorite scenes in Parks and Recreation. https://www.google.com/search?q=marc...obile&ie=UTF-8

"April: Sorry, he's busy now. Doug: Can I reschedule? April: Hmm, how about June 50th? Doug: Sorry? April: Do you think you could come back today at 2:65? He's available then. Doug: What is going on? April: Looks like the only other day he has open is Marchtember oneteenth. Does that work, sir?"
Old Apr 17, 20, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
Hehehe, I actually took it from one of my favorite scenes in Parks and Recreation. https://www.google.com/search?q=marc...obile&ie=UTF-8

"April: Sorry, he's busy now. Doug: Can I reschedule? April: Hmm, how about June 50th? Doug: Sorry? April: Do you think you could come back today at 2:65? He's available then. Doug: What is going on? April: Looks like the only other day he has open is Marchtember oneteenth. Does that work, sir?"
I know!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: