Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Parker sees Americans “regularly flying again” by September 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker sees Americans “regularly flying again” by September 30th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA will no doubt turn into Spirit Airlines. Every C19 related measure will be a very convenient reason to cut and never restore (PDB, food, etc).
I'm no Douggie fan, but when has he ever implemented a unique policy, not already implemented by DL and UA? There are very valid reasons to be skeptical, suspicious, but even he relented on charging for soft drinks on US when passengers revolted.

AA is not in a position to overtly alienate elites even further - they do it often enough due to incompetence.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by jcain
I wonder what % of customers even pay for MCE versus getting it for free with status. But yeah, if paying for it the free drinks may be a decent part of the value.
That is why I would be surprised to see that go away. And sure, the majority of MCE is probably customers with status, but it doesn't take losing very many paying customers to offset the free drinks. The markup on them is incredibly high. My guess it just takes a couple paying customers on a flight to offset the cost of all of the free drinks in MCE.
jcain likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by diver858
AA is not in a position to overtly alienate elites even further.
They were until about six weeks ago. It will take airline execs time to adjust to the shoe being on the other foot.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA will lead in this area. No meals in F under 2,200 miles, no PDBs, no blankets and pillows in F, smaller meals in F for flights over 2,200 miles, no alcohol in MCE, closing of smaller lounges, etc.
Spiff and enviroian like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation

Moderator warning:

Posts of the following nature have been deleted:
- meta discussion about this thread (if you do like this topic, you are free to move along and not post)
- Doug Parker bashing (these posts are disruptive and do not contribute to the discussion at hand)
- off-topic / snark (https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules...sivedisruptive)

We shall see if we can continue this thread open, but any future tangents will lead to thread closure and potential disciplinary action for members who continue to disrupt threads. /Moderator
aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:47 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Archive link @ When will travel return to normal? American Airlines' CEO weighs in - Business Insider
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by BearX220
We're going to see crippling second waves of COVID illnesses / deaths in states that relax too fast.
You are assuming that the "confirmed cases" numbers are a good estimate of the "total cases" numbers, which include unconfirmed and unreported cases, where either the patient did not qualify for testing or had COVID-19 but did not get sick enough to justify even a doctor's visit. That assumption may not be even remotely valid.

Preliminary antibody survey results, from studies that just got started, seem to indicate that assumption to be very much unwarranted: the positive antibody test numbers are far higher than the confirmed case numbers. (Stanford's study of Santa Clara County indicated that there were somewhere between 50x and 85x as many total cases as there were confirmed cases, all of them recoveries. A study of one street in Chelsea MA had 64 positive antibody tests out of 200 random residents on that street, or 32% of that subpopulation.)

It is entirely possible that the virus is already running out of people to infect, at least in some regions. This appears to be what is happening in New York City right now.

The implication is that the actual pandemic may be OVER long before anyone is ready for it to be over.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by zarkov505
You are assuming that the "confirmed cases" numbers are a good estimate of the "total cases" numbers, which include unconfirmed and unreported cases, where either the patient did not qualify for testing or had COVID-19 but did not get sick enough to justify even a doctor's visit. That assumption may not be even remotely valid.

Preliminary antibody survey results, from studies that just got started, seem to indicate that assumption to be very much unwarranted: the positive antibody test numbers are far higher than the confirmed case numbers. (Stanford's study of Santa Clara County indicated that there were somewhere between 50x and 85x as many total cases as there were confirmed cases, all of them recoveries. A study of one street in Chelsea MA had 64 positive antibody tests out of 200 random residents on that street, or 32% of that subpopulation.)

It is entirely possible that the virus is already running out of people to infect, at least in some regions. This appears to be what is happening in New York City right now.

The implication is that the actual pandemic may be OVER long before anyone is ready for it to be over.

Last edited by Lenflyer64; Apr 20, 2020 at 10:40 am Reason: Deleted
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zarkov505

We only know for sure how many have died, we don’t know how many have been infected because of testing restraints. I tested positive for the virus back in February after returning from two weeks in the Veneto region of Italy. I had no symptoms and was only tested because of my exposure risk from where I had traveled and I went into quarantine. I’m not young nor am I Superman so there must be plenty like me who are asymptomatic walking around. If that’s the case we could be at 50% infection rate and getting back to normal before vaccines is a real possibility and Parker is correct with his guess.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
The doubting Thomas in me believes that when we come out on the other side of this AA will use it as a way of giving even less in service and of course hard product.
I just don't understand poor customer service! And sadly, I believe the people working with passengers want to do more. Unfortunately,, corporate ties their hands.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Without going OT the first studies being done would suggest an infection rate of between 2.8% and 4%. Higher than the seasonal flu. However, the death rate is around .01%, just about at the flu level. The need for medical care is also about the same. Again, more test across the country need to be done. But right now it infects a greater proportion of the population but the vast majority of the infected feel no to light symptoms.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by tomj888
The doubting Thomas in me believes that when we come out on the other side of this AA will use it as a way of giving even less in service and of course hard product.
Of course it will. I said the same upthread. When this has passed or at least AA and the public have gotten used to the new normal AA will use C19 as the excuse for everything --I am convinced just about everything that has been cut due to C19 will never come back, period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.