Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Parker sees Americans “regularly flying again” by September 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker sees Americans “regularly flying again” by September 30th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I plan to be “regularly flying” again by October 2020 as long as international borders are open and flights are available, either AA or another airline. Fortunately, I own my business and am not subject to corporate travel policy restrictions. Of course, “regularly flying” will probably be a whole lot different whenever it starts back up again.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I watched the CNBC interview (4/15/2020)... in my mind, the most interesting quote from Doug was something that I think a lot of us suspected already...

"We’re obviously eliminating a tremendous number of expenses at this point in time, and we’ll be very careful about what gets added back."

I interpret that statement to mean potential slashing of premium services and further degradation of the overall flying experience. It seems more and more likely that when flying does come back, it truly won't be the same... and it'll be more than just social distancing and masks.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by metallo
I watched the CNBC interview (4/15/2020)... in my mind, the most interesting quote from Doug was something that I think a lot of us suspected already...

"We’re obviously eliminating a tremendous number of expenses at this point in time, and we’ll be very careful about what gets added back."

I interpret that statement to mean potential slashing of premium services and further degradation of the overall flying experience. It seems more and more likely that when flying does come back, it truly won't be the same... and it'll be more than just social distancing and masks.
I guarantee you that the airlines will be able to around social distancing measures, they already have. I see service being slashed. Meals being cut out in domestic F other than transcons, no PDB, no complimentary alcohol in MCE, no blankets in domestic F. The airlines will slash capacity to the point where it will again be a butt in every seat.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AA100k
I plan to be “regularly flying” again by October 2020 as long as international borders are open and flights are available, either AA or another airline. Fortunately, I own my business and am not subject to corporate travel policy restrictions. Of course, “regularly flying” will probably be a whole lot different whenever it starts back up again.
This is my plan also. All my customer engagements have been converted to remote until September, but I’m currently booked for a flight to Japan for 4 weeks via JAL F on 9/19, assuming they open back up, and all customer bookings starting in October are currently onsite.
AA100k likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I guarantee you that the airlines will be able to around social distancing measures, they already have. I see service being slashed. Meals being cut out in domestic F other than transcons, no PDB, no complimentary alcohol in MCE, no blankets in domestic F. The airlines will slash capacity to the point where it will again be a butt in every seat.
I am curious about the alcohol in MCE. I wonder what % of customers who pay for MCE use the complimentary alcohol as a reason to justify the $.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA sent out a video email to some people, "A message from American's CEO, Doug Parker" on Wed April 15th at 8;55pm
A non-Elite friend sent the email to me. But I never received it direct? Did others here get the email?

But here is the link.
Newsroom - CEO Doug Parker Provides a Customer Update on the Coronavirus - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by cova
AA sent out a video email to some people, "A message from American's CEO, Doug Parker" on Wed April 15th at 8;55pm
A non-Elite friend sent the email to me. But I never received it direct? Did others here get the email?

But here is the link.
Newsroom - CEO Doug Parker Provides a Customer Update on the Coronavirus - American Airlines Group, Inc.
yes I received it but the CNBC 17 minute interview was much more informative.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by ksucats
I am curious about the alcohol in MCE. I wonder what % of customers who pay for MCE use the complimentary alcohol as a reason to justify the $.
Maybe they will start selling mini bottles inside security at airports, like they do food to eat on board!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
AA will no doubt turn into Spirit Airlines. Every C19 related measure will be a very convenient reason to cut and never restore (PDB, food, etc).
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by remedy
Maybe they will start selling mini bottles inside security at airports, like they do food to eat on board!
I could probably crank out 3 rounds of bloody Mary’s with one can and 3 minis

In all seriousness though I don’t see how that could happen since it would still require the FA to serve the alcohol onboard which creates the touch points the airlines are trying to diminish.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I could probably crank out 3 rounds of bloody Mary’s with one can and 3 minis

In all seriousness though I don’t see how that could happen since it would still require the FA to serve the alcohol onboard which creates the touch points the airlines are trying to diminish.
Agree. I’ll gladly give up booze and food on flights just to get back flying again. I’m sure once it’s safe, they’ll return to normal service.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In September too, AA will likely remain my least favorite of the big 3 US airlines despite my having earned more millions of miles with AA than even with DL (and UA).
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Why inside security? You can take the 50ml bottles through security!

The real issue is the legality of consuming your own alcohol on board.

James
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I would be good with that. I like to have a couple drinks while flying.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ksucats
I wonder what % of customers even pay for MCE versus getting it for free with status. But yeah, if paying for it the free drinks may be a decent part of the value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.