Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA web and mobile app only show flights from the past two years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I haven't flown AA in a while. I think the last time I flew with them was in 2017. I was just going through my account today and I noticed that I can't see any of my past flight activities. Only the two years are displayed? What happened to my flight history? Deleted from AA's servers?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Archived. You won’t be able to access older data online, but you can be sure AA still keeps it around for their own internal purposes. No different than your bank, really.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Archived. You won’t be able to access older data online, but you can be sure AA still keeps it around for their own internal purposes. No different than your bank, really.
So how do I access that information if I want it?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by lsquare
So how do I access that information if I want it?
You can try calling AAdvantage Customer Service (NOT reservations), but I'm not sure they'll be to able to give you a "full dump." They were most helpful to me when I wanted to know my status dates over the years. They were happy to go back to when I joined, first hit Gold, first hit Platinum, first Exp, MM dates and renewal dates. But still, only 20 dates or so - not flights, dates, cities, class etc.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
You can try calling AAdvantage Customer Service (NOT reservations), but I'm not sure they'll be to able to give you a "full dump." They were most helpful to me when I wanted to know my status dates over the years. They were happy to go back to when I joined, first hit Gold, first hit Platinum, first Exp, MM dates and renewal dates. But still, only 20 dates or so - not flights, dates, cities, class etc.
I don't understand why they would limit flight history to the last two years. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't understand why they would limit flight history to the last two years. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Technical reasons. The databases are massive. AA transports over 200 million passengers a year, and has to store many data points about each of those enplanements. For comparison, take a look at Microsoft Excel - a spreadsheet is kind of like a simple database. It can only go up to 1 million rows of data, and if you've ever tried to open a large file, it probably brought your computer to its knees with far less than 1 million rows actually populated with data. It's a bit of an oversimplication, because a spreadsheet is not a database, but that can still give you an idea of the magnitude of the challenge enterprise data architects are up against.

It becomes quite expensive to keep all that online and also there are performance challenges as the size of the data grows. For example, when you log into your account and pull up your account history, it has to go and query all those hundreds of millions of records to find the activity that belongs to your account. And you expect that to occur quickly. The bigger the data set, the longer it takes to store or retrieve records. Most customers have no actual need (beyond idle curiosity) to go back more than two years in their account history. Why slow down everyone's access to recent data because a few people want to see 10-20 year old data? Also, the bigger the data set, the more resources are required to process, store, and retrieve it, which gets quite expensive when performance requirements are high. This is why companies with massive data sets often maintain high performance primary storage for recent data that is accessed frequently, and cold storage for older data that is rarely accessed but may need to be kept around for business or compliance reasons... it is acceptable to businesses that retrieval times for data in cold storage can be significantly slower, which allows for lower infrastructure complexity and reduced spend. So long story short, it's a technical best practice to ensure that frequently accessed data remains readily available, while also reducing the costs of storing older data long-term.

I've never asked AA for a full account history. I've gotten a full summary from Starwood back in the day when my account balances weren't adding up. It took them a few days to process the request and they emailed me a file. You can be sure AA maintains the data internally, but whether they are willing to produce it for you is another matter.
lsquare and ksucats like this.

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 16, 2020 at 12:13 am
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Technical reasons. The databases are massive. AA transports over 200 million passengers a year, and has to store many data points about each of those enplanements. For comparison, take a look at Microsoft Excel - a spreadsheet is kind of like a simple database. It can only go up to 1 million rows of data, and if you've ever tried to open a large file, it probably brought your computer to its knees with far less than 1 million rows actually populated with data. It's a bit of an oversimplication, because a spreadsheet is not a database, but that can still give you an idea of the magnitude of the challenge enterprise data architects are up against.

It becomes quite expensive to keep all that online and also there are performance challenges as the size of the data grows. For example, when you log into your account and pull up your account history, it has to go and query all those hundreds of millions of records to find the activity that belongs to your account. And you expect that to occur quickly. The bigger the data set, the longer it takes to store or retrieve records. Most customers have no actual need (beyond idle curiosity) to go back more than two years in their account history. Why slow down everyone's access to recent data because a few people want to see 10-20 year old data? Also, the bigger the data set, the more resources are required to process, store, and retrieve it, which gets quite expensive when performance requirements are high. This is why companies with massive data sets often maintain high performance primary storage for recent data that is accessed frequently, and cold storage for older data that is rarely accessed but may need to be kept around for business or compliance reasons... it is acceptable to businesses that retrieval times for data in cold storage can be significantly slower, which allows for lower infrastructure complexity and reduced spend. So long story short, it's a technical best practice to ensure that frequently accessed data remains readily available, while also reducing the costs of storing older data long-term.

I've never asked AA for a full account history. I've gotten a full summary from Starwood back in the day when my account balances weren't adding up. It took them a few days to process the request and they emailed me a file. You can be sure AA maintains the data internally, but whether they are willing to produce it for you is another matter.
Fair enough and thanks for the explanation, but unless I'm mistaken, I can see more than two years of flight history with Delta....just saying!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
You can query a piece of data in a 1,000,000 piece dataset and find or not find a match in at most 16 steps. The query is very quick.

James
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
but unless I'm mistaken, I can see more than two years of flight history with Delta....just saying!
Three years. I have to think the the number of people needing flight data from between two and three years ago is miniscule.

lsquare and ksucats like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 16, 2020 at 2:54 am
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You can query a piece of data in a 1,000,000 piece dataset and find or not find a match in at most 16 steps. The query is very quick.
It's non-zero. And the more records that you are searching, the longer it takes. For every single query by every single user. Plus the disk for storage. Trading off with the asymptotically approaching zero need to provide the capability. Smart DBA's and their business counterparts make tech/business trade-offs wisely.

fwiw, AA records 1,000,000 passenger-flight records in about two days. And the data likely isn't stored in a single table.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 16, 2020 at 2:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.