Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: What will happen to AA fares once it’s safe to travel ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What will AA do about fares going forward, once it’s safe to travel?
Fares will be pretty much as before Coronavirus
19.35%
Fares will be significantly higher
31.72%
Fares will be significantly lower
17.74%
AA will follow the lead of Delta and United
27.42%
Other opinion, posted below
3.76%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Speculation: What will happen to AA fares once it’s safe to travel ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
My guess would be that AA will significantly cut capacity
I don’t disagree with the premise, but at the same time AA will be paying a bunch of debt on empty planes not generating revenue. Seems like reducing capacity will only compound their problems.

My guess is they’ll put as many butts in seats and planes in the air as they can, which translates to excess capacity and low fares.
AA100k likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
"When all is lost, and only hope remains: Market share."
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
I don’t disagree with the premise, but at the same time AA will be paying a bunch of debt on empty planes not generating revenue. Seems like reducing capacity will only compound their problems.

My guess is they’ll put as many butts in seats and planes in the air as they can, which translates to excess capacity and low fares.
That seems to be what has happened before. Back in my DL days, following 9/11 and later the Great Recession, I saw fares drop significantly until passenger traffic ramped back up. I saw international economy fares drop as much as 40% off and on until things stabilized. I do not recall domestic capacity reduction but recall some reduction in International routes after 9/11.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think they will have some kind of complicated algorithm whereby fares will be lower as long as air travel is totally in the toilet. But once they reach certain modest thresholds in terms of load factor, they will start raising prices ($50 here, $100 there). I think they will be higher a year from now that they would have been this year sans COVID.

I also feel that when they bring back the international nonstops that they have massively cut, those prices will jump as compared to the same routes (temporarily) requiring a change of plane. People will not want to go back those days if they can avoid it, and AA will be able to charge more of a premium for that convenience next year. I had flights DFW-FCO and DFW-AMS for April and July 2020; both trips are postponed until next year and I am gonna be highly annoyed if I have to change planes. (Then again, I will be grateful if I actually get to make those trips and should not complain about too much.)

I see two possibilities as far as leisure travel: if people are as desperate to travel as some imagine, they may be less price-sensitive. On the other hand, if the economy stays in the toilet and prices are not attractive, they may all be doing road trips like we did in the 1970s, because you could not afford to fly a whole family anywhere.

Last edited by monvoyage; May 8, 2020 at 3:58 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I think they will go up, down, or stay the same.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.