Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: What will happen to AA fares once it’s safe to travel ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What will AA do about fares going forward, once it’s safe to travel?
Fares will be pretty much as before Coronavirus
19.35%
Fares will be significantly higher
31.72%
Fares will be significantly lower
17.74%
AA will follow the lead of Delta and United
27.42%
Other opinion, posted below
3.76%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Speculation: What will happen to AA fares once it’s safe to travel ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
AA is always a follower, hence D!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:55 pm

D Follow the legacy airlines by signals sent out Sunday night with new fare increases. If other airlines follow the increase you stick to the customer that just bailed you out and hold the higher new fare. It's like smoke signals
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I wouldn't hesitate to travel now, but too many routes down better to wait.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:28 pm

Domestic fares in China are significantly lower than before even though China is now pretty much back to normal. Airlines need to cover their losses and so they sell discounted tickets to get more people buying tickets in advance.It would take a long time to recover the demand even when it is safe to travel.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:11 am

Programs: Free agent
The price, as always, will be dictated by the market.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Seems to me like post-9/11 data would be a pretty decent comparison point. At least a start point. I was still in HS at the time and really have no first hand experience.

Personally I would love to get my personal travel back on track once this has all been flushed out. However, having been forced to use almost all of what little PTO I have to sit at home, I'm not sure if I'll even have the opportunity until at least a year from now
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomj888
There is always a dark side to these pandemics.
You don't say. Sorry, but I suspect "air fares going up after it's over" is not one of the things most people think about when they consider pandemic "dark sides".
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I think large segments of the economy will take years to recover, and with it a lot of leisure travel demand is going to just evaporate. People were still traveling in 2008 but by 2009 belts were tightening.

It will come down to the amount of lift that the airlines are forced to fly. If that exceeds demand, ticket prices will be low.

I mean, leased planes have to fly if the lessor won't take them back, because otherwise it's just burning cash. Owned planes can be grounded or stored. Outstanding deliveries can potentially be deferred (not sure about the 737 MAX deliveries that are on hold).
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
For now there are some good deals out there. Booked DCA-SNA F class for late August for $800 r/t.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
There's too many variables still left undetermined for me to make a choice...and I would imagine that is the case at revenue management as well.

My considerations, however, would take into consideration that government loans/grants/etc will come with no/reduced layoff caveats. That said, if I were managing an airline and took a loan that required me to maintain my flight crews on the payroll, I would schedule them for their minimum contracted duty hours. That base for flight attendants is either 71 (lineholder) or 75 (reserve) hours per month. That would be the minimum amount of flying I would do. After that, the market would dictate the pricing...if flights are running more full, increase the price and/or frequency/gauge. If flights are running at lower capacity, reduce the price and/or gauge.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The schedule changes in May are something totally bizarre. One x two hub to hub flights a day. Some routes not operating on certain days, for example no direct MIA/ATL on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. In May the only way for me to leave ATL in the afternoon is to connect through DFW arriving back at MIA at 1:22AM or a double connection through CLT and DCA. Lot's of business people are going to look at these schedules and say "digital remote." I know it will come as a shock but most road warriors don't obsess on whether 3F or 4F is the better seat on a 738. Nor do they want to spend their days visiting multiple airports particularly if ACs are closed.

I think Parker has been hitting the sauce too much to think things will be back to normal by September.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I submit that the vastly most important question is: "Vaccine, or no vaccine?"
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
I submit that the vastly most important question is: "Vaccine, or no vaccine?"
+1. Same here.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
The price, as always, will be dictated by the market.
Something will have to give after the current loan terms expire, airlines are no longer required to retain staff, as there will simply be too much capacity - well beyond what ULCC fares can fill. Virgin Australia and South African are done, the list will continue to grow - even negative oil prices can't help.

Under the current conditions, airlines are no longer too big to fail, US Treasury cannot print enough money to keep them all afloat indefinitely. While it will be painful, it is time for the US Government to step back, allow market forces to decide which carriers survive, what they will look like. At that point, it will be reasonable to expect fares to increase relative to pre-Covid19 levels, settle back down once new competitors enter the market.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by DANNHEY88
What do you think about booking Chicago to Maui in December? Buy now, or wait?

Also what do you consider good rates?

Thanks!
If it were me? Buy now. I’ve continued to fly to support my small business. Fares are the best I’ve seen in years. I’ve purchased my twice a month travel through to the 4th quarter. I plan on buying the remainder of the year this month.
The fact that my EP status carries over is also helping by not having to buy up or purchase FC fares to make the EQD requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.