FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2015710-aa-extending-2020-status-year-swu-validity-6-months.html)

JDiver Apr 13, 2020 10:12 pm

AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months

Extending expiration of systemwide upgrades — link

Any unused systemwide upgrades with an expiration date of January 31, 2021, will be automatically extended through July 31, 2021.

While we’re not awarding new systemwide upgrades with the extension of Executive Platinum status, members who qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status in 2020 will receive 4 systemwide upgrades valid through January 31, 2022.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

fotographer Apr 14, 2020 4:55 am

planing to use them all up before the end of the year.. .. this is going to be fun.. trying to find SWU inventory space on cheaper tickets around the world some where (once it safe of course)

daron4000 Apr 14, 2020 7:15 am

Does anyone know if this applies to the previously extended SWUs now expiring 4/30/2020?

MarkOK Apr 18, 2020 11:06 am

My main concern on upgrade space is whether 77Ws are back in service on some routes. I would love to go to Tokyo in maybe spring 2021, but upgrade space is waaay more likely to be found if DFW-HND is a 77W vs a 788. My Sept DFW-HND flight which was downgraded from a 77W to 787 went to just 2 open J seats (6 months out!).

dvs7310 Apr 18, 2020 12:03 pm

I swear there was exactly the same thread already which will get merged.

Being in Tokyo I expect to find it quite challenging to use my 4 for this year, let alone the 8-10 I'll have by year's end with the lowered requirements for EXP (I fly JL codes mostly). I'll easily get the 90k EQMs (from JL flights) as long as we can travel quarantine free by October or so but have no faith in the Japanese government to re-open by then. The good thing is that I won't feel so obligated to fly JL codes since everything over 9k EQD doesn't matter this year and can actually attempt to use the abundance of SWUs. I think it's actually revenue neutral for AA, but nice for EXPs not to have to chase EQD's and be able to use the damn upgrades.

The whole EQD thing for foreign residents on AA really gives me the *****, and UA and DL waived it for obvious reasons... well UA did until last year then went to some new model which no one wants to see. As a UA 1K (before) I could use my SWUs regardless of airline code(NH, UA, LH, etc), it just had to be UA metal, or LH code/metal, then they more recently added NH with appropriate fares. That was ideal. ... what am I going to do with 8-10 AA SWUs next year that I can only use on AA code, AA metal flights that award dick in EQD (since foreign residents don't exempt) and fares are going to be dirt cheap again for the foreseeable future.? I hate a $$ based program forcing you to fly other OneWorld airline codes to earn/maintain your benefits, especially since $$ prices of business class flights are way down and will be for quite a while.

Actually considering the reduced rates for JL I fares, this may be a moot point. If most discount biz fares book into I then earning are crap too for EQD purposes. Slight advantage but barely. I call baloney on this. JL is the only JV partner who gets punished on I fares. BA, IB, AY codes are all golden. (25% eqd, no base mile punishment like JL)..

allset2travel Apr 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Yeah, good that AA get it right. I have 6 uncommitted SWUs waiting to be used.

JJeffrey Apr 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 32304500)
Actually considering the reduced rates for JL I fares, this may be a moot point. If most discount biz fares book into I then earning are crap too for EQD purposes. Slight advantage but barely. I call baloney on this. JL is the only JV partner who gets punished on I fares. BA, IB, AY codes are all golden. (25% eqd, no base mile punishment like JL)..

Way OT for this thread, but before you get even more fired up about JL earning on AA, I suggest you look at some tentative trips and the fare codes these actually book into. JL does not use the "I" fare bucket like most carriers, most discount business fares book into X, which is full earning.

355F1 Sep 25, 2020 11:30 pm

Its been almost 6 months since this thread was started.

I have 5 SWUs that were extended 6 months to July 2021......but geez.....do we REALLY think we will be able to use them before then....??

Man, I hope they extend them through the end of the year.

shd9 Sep 26, 2020 2:27 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32305032)
Way OT for this thread, but before you get even more fired up about JL earning on AA, I suggest you look at some tentative trips and the fare codes these actually book into. JL does not use the "I" fare bucket like most carriers, most discount business fares book into X, which is full earning.

This is mostly true, but starting from last year I have seen an increasing number of I fares ex-USA to Asia (usually ~$2500 tickets to China and South Korea).

It is indeed the case that I fares on AA is mapped to X fares on JAL

FlyingEgghead Nov 27, 2020 4:12 am

(1) Is the newish policy -- that SWUs can officially be applied to post-expiration flights if confirmed before expiration -- still in effect?

(2) Is there any indication that the SWUs that were extended from January 2021 to July 2021 may be extended further?

econ Nov 27, 2020 5:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 32847138)
(1) Is the newish policy -- that SWUs can officially be applied to post-expiration flights if confirmed before expiration -- still in effect?

(2) Is there any indication that the SWUs that were extended from January 2021 to July 2021 may be extended further?

(1) I was just able to do this a few weeks ago
(2) No idea

apeortdz Nov 27, 2020 5:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 32847138)

1 - Definitely - I did it three days ago.

2 - IDK.

Jay00848 Dec 5, 2020 6:32 pm

Has anyone heard of AA is going to extend the SWU to end of 2021, seems like July is not aligned with what other hotel and airline are doing.

A321T Dec 6, 2020 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jay00848 (Post 32865657)
Has anyone heard of AA is going to extend the SWU to end of 2021, seems like July is not aligned with what other hotel and airline are doing.

Even if they extend to the end of 2021, at the moment I don't know how I'm going to use 4 SWUs non-wastefully in 2021. It'd be nice if the flight were at least a transcon. Maybe toward the end of the year?

355F1 Jan 18, 2021 4:00 pm

I don’t see being able to use any of my SWUs that are set to expire July 2021.

Any word on if AA will extend them?

I am not comfortable booking any flights for summer yet.

I am HOPING to be back in Bali for thanksgiving for a month.

I just don’t see any vacations happening anytime soon. :(