Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months

AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months

Old Dec 17, 21, 7:22 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
Morning All, I have been following this and nothing new seems to have been reported and worse yet, nothing updated by AA.
I ready the article when it was published.
I called AA a while back and the agent confirmed the extension of my Jan. 2022 would show up with a new extension date at some point.
Still nothing.
What is everyone doing? Booking flights to use and/or extend or waiting on AA to extend on their system?
I had 2 Roundtrips between the US and LHR for Dec and Jan, so just used the expiring ones on that. The radio silence on the issue was concerning, so definitely wanted to use them.
Old Dec 17, 21, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
What is everyone doing? Booking flights to use and/or extend or waiting on AA to extend on their system?
If they don't extend, I'm going to lose one or two of them to expiration.

The reality is I don't find upgrade certificates - either AA or UA - that useful anymore. It's much easier just to buy discounted J on a top tier carrier than to twist my schedule around to use an upgrade on an inferior product (AA or UA). The only use I've had for my AA SWU the past two years has been J to F on premium t-cons.

Just for comparison's sake, I'll note that UA has now rolled expiration of my PlusPoints earned in 2019 over to Jan. 31, 2023. AA by contrast is really shafting EXPs on the SWU expiration by refusing to extend the ones we earned in 2020.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Dec 18, 21, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The reality is I don't find upgrade certificates - either AA or UA - that useful anymore. It's much easier just to buy discounted J on a top tier carrier than to twist my schedule around to use an upgrade on an inferior product (AA or UA). The only use I've had for my AA SWU the past two years has been J to F on premium t-cons.
That's a great point. In years (decades) past I would book my longhaul travel around being able to use my VIPOWs/eVIPs/SWUs. Now I just consider it a win if I can apply them to a F premium transcon upgrade or even a regular domestic transcon flight (previously unthinkable). The proliferation of affordable (and higher-quality) longhaul J has really reduced the value of SWUs for me.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 21, 21, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
For what it's worth, I called to make a change to a reservation that had "July 2022" SWUs attached when I have "Jan 2022" SWUs still in my account. When I asked about this, the agent specifically noted that she'd heard as recently as a week ago that they were extending but still didn't know when that was being reflected. She didn't want to risk swapping the SWUs (it was the weekend so customer service wasn't around) so instead she notated my PNR with that in case there is an issue. Not sure that adds much to the discussion...but FYI.
Old Dec 21, 21, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
If they don't extend, I'm going to lose one or two of them to expiration.

Just for comparison's sake, I'll note that UA has now rolled expiration of my PlusPoints earned in 2019 over to Jan. 31, 2023. AA by contrast is really shafting EXPs on the SWU expiration by refusing to extend the ones we earned in 2020.
Hopefully they do extend them but they dont have to go to waste ! you can donate them to flyertalk users under no obligation if you know they are going to be 'wasted' anyway and earn some amazing karma lol.
SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2022 giveaway thread (NO ASK; terms & conditions)
Old Dec 21, 21, 11:12 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
That's a great point. In years (decades) past I would book my longhaul travel around being able to use my VIPOWs/eVIPs/SWUs. Now I just consider it a win if I can apply them to a F premium transcon upgrade or even a regular domestic transcon flight (previously unthinkable). The proliferation of affordable (and higher-quality) longhaul J has really reduced the value of SWUs for me.

-FlyerBeek
Interesting. I'm still finding great use for them. Some won't clear way in advance, but I've never missed an SWU as an EXP.

Managed to even get 3 passengers upgraded a couple of days ago in peak season (was Y to J with miles, but conceptually the same thing as it's in the C bucket)
Old Jan 18, 22, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just saw in my wallet that remaining 2020 earned SWUs have been extended through July 31, 2022. This was the right move, but they should have done it six months ago.
Old Feb 6, 22, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz PresCir
How likely is it that AA extends the 2020 elite year (earned in 2019) SWUs beyond their current July 31, 2022 expiration date?

I've still got all four and since it's nearly impossible to find SWU inventory in advance that seems to mean that I need to find a way to actually fly and have them clear shortly before departure before July 31st. I've got some potential vacation ideas that would use them but it's also frustrating that AA's shortage of widebodies means I'd potentially be burning them on a seven hour flight on a 321neo to sit in a domestic first seat.
Old Feb 6, 22, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Check View Post
I'd potentially be burning them on a seven hour flight on a 321neo to sit in a domestic first seat.
Yep, definitely not SWU worthy on those crap planes.

Search this Thread