Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thundermonkey
so much for appreciating the people that actually gave them $$ in 2020
They have to extend those. And it was a big blunder not to do it at the same time.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EP
Deleted

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Jun 9, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
They were extended 6 months.
SWUs earned in 2020 have not been extended at all. They expire Jan. 31, 2022.
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by DltaSchmlta
Are SWUs still able to be used if they have not expired but you lost status?
Interested to know the answer to this too. Seems like retaining the ability to use them would be consistent with the current ability to apply SWUs to reservations of non-status passengers.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Kacee
SWUs earned in 2020 have not been extended at all. They expire Jan. 31, 2022.
For now.....
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, 5yr CK, Flying Blue, Delta, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Curious how to read the wallet relative to what is the real expiration date. I have 3 in my wallet. I earned 8 in 2019 and used what I thought was the last two of those from OGG in May before the extension was implemented. I just had one of 4 earned in 2020 apply for a DFW to LHR upgrade to F. The 2020 show expiration 31 Jan 2022 and the 2019 show valid to 31 July 2022.

So are my three coming out of the 2020 earned or will AA account for them as the last 3 to expire which would make them 2019 earned?

Last edited by winterjs; Jun 20, 2021 at 7:14 pm Reason: fix grammer
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by winterjs
Curious how to read the wallet relative to what is the real expiration date. I have 3 in my wallet. I earned 8 in 2019 and used what I thought was the last two of those from OGG in May before the extension was implemented. I just had one of 4 earned in 2020 apply for a DFW to LHR upgrade to F. The 2020 show expiration 31 Jan 2022 and the 2019 show valid to 31 July 2022.

So are my three coming out of the 2020 earned or will AA account for them as the last 3 to expire which would make them 2019 earned?
If you're asking what I think you are... AA will automatically pull the SWUs with the closest expiration date when you have one applied. In this case, oddly, it will now be the ones earned in 2020 since the 2019 SWUs expire later. The way they display the SWUs in your wallet is confusing (especially if you have deposits in there from multiple years). If you call AAdvantage Customer Service, you can get a more detailed count of how many you have left for each individual expiration date. I always track mine in a separate spreadsheet, because it is difficult to keep track of them on AA.com - especially if you have any mid-year deposits that aren't earned from elite or MM qualification.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
In this case, oddly, it will now be the ones earned in 2020 since the 2019 SWUs expire later.
Right. The 2019 SWUs have six months more validity than those earned in 2020 (July 31, 2022 vs. January 31, 2022). I find it surprising (perhaps I shouldn't) that AA has not fixed this anomaly.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:49 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
Wanted to get some advise on my situation - so I had an SWU applied to a ticket which after flight cancellations this year (and because of the current ban on EU citizens to US), I requested for a refund. I was told by the agent that together with the refund, the SWU will be re-instated back to my account.
I checked but did not see any SWU re-instated yet - wondering if
- should I wait a couple more days and check again
- call the usual AA reservation team or I have to write in to AAdvantage service?

Btw I am not ExecPlat anymore, just Plat.

Cheers!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I checked but did not see any SWU re-instated yet - wondering if
- should I wait a couple more days and check again
- call the usual AA reservation team or I have to write in to AAdvantage service?
You're going to want to call in to AAdvantage Customer Service. I would not count on the SWU being automatically reinstated - especially if the expiration date (when it was applied) has already passed. If at all possible, I try to leave the SWUs attached to the cancelled reservation and not request a refund. That way, it's easier for the agents to just apply the existing SWU to a new itinerary when I'm ready to rebook. Obviously, that's harder if you're in the EU and have limited opportunities to fly AA during the ongoing pandemic. Good luck!

-FlyerBeek
nldogbert, fotographer and dciolli like this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Has anyone heard anything about potential extension of Jan 22 expiring SWUs?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
JonNYC is reporting extension of 1/31 SWUs to 7/31

Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by Animgif
JonNYC is reporting extension of 1/31 SWUs to 7/31

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/1460257923599319043

has this been confirmed? my friends still show expired 1/31/22 and that tweet doesnt exist anymore lol
Old Dec 12, 2021, 3:42 pm

There was also a TPG article a few months back that reported the same as JonNYC's tweet: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...wide-upgrades/

My remaining SWUs (from 2020 requalification) still show a Jan 31, 2022 expiration date, so as best I can tell none of mine have been extended.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond / MGM Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
There was also a TPG article a few months back that reported the same as JonNYC's tweet: https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...wide-upgrades/

My remaining SWUs (from 2020 requalification) still show a Jan 31, 2022 expiration date, so as best I can tell none of mine have been extended.

-FlyerBeek
Morning All, I have been following this and nothing new seems to have been reported and worse yet, nothing updated by AA.
I ready the article when it was published.
I called AA a while back and the agent confirmed the extension of my Jan. 2022 would show up with a new extension date at some point.
Still nothing.
What is everyone doing? Booking flights to use and/or extend or waiting on AA to extend on their system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.