Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Extending 2020 Status Year SWU Validity 6 Months

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
I am not comfortable booking any flights for summer yet.
See upthread, you can use them for post-expiration travel. Just find something for late 2021/early 2022 with confirmable upgrade space. Might be hard for Bali (you'd only be able to use them as far as HKG etc and I think even nowadays there's not much C availability on DFW-HKG)... Europe likely easier (incl 77W on LAX-LHR, etc.).
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:37 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
See upthread, you can use them for post-expiration travel. Just find something for late 2021/early 2022 with confirmable upgrade space. Might be hard for Bali (you'd only be able to use them as far as HKG etc and I think even nowadays there's not much C availability on DFW-HKG)... Europe likely easier (incl 77W on LAX-LHR, etc.).
Used to use them (and miles+copay) on LAX-HKG-LAX a few times a year.

I will miss this flight so much.
platbrownguy and hbtr like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:17 pm

Really hope they extend these again at least until year-end... don't suppose anyone has heard rumors?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EP
Nothing has been said. Personally, I do hold much luck when they will allow future bookings past 31 Jul to use an expiring SWU if confirmed by 7/31

Originally Posted by djdw905
Really hope they extend these again at least until year-end... don't suppose anyone has heard rumors?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I am on the phone with AA now and they say that they can put all 4 (2 expired and 2 expiring July 2021) and they said they could put all four back in my account for a canceled May athens trip.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Please let us know if put back in your account if expiration dates have been changed. It is my understanding from AA customer service, if applied prior to 7/31 and flight is after 7/31 and later cancelled by customer, you are unable to reinstate system wide upgrades
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:13 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I am on the phone with AA now and they say that they can put all 4 (2 expired and 2 expiring July 2021) and they said they could put all four back in my account for a canceled May athens trip.
I had this happen with 1 SWU that was set to expire Jan 31, 2021. They put it back in and unfortunately it expired.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by djdw905
With June approaching, I went ahead and put my two 7/31/21-expiring SWUs onto a PHL-DFW-HKG roundtrip for March 2022. I was pleasantly surprised at the wide availability of C-upgrade space that coincides with the $443 roundtrip Main Cabin fare. Used a trip credit for the ticket, so it seems like a reasonable hedge. If SWUs get extended before 7/31/2021, I can always think about canceling and reallocating.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA has extended all my Plus Points (earned in 2019) to Jan. 31, 2022. Would be nice to see AA match.
dvs7310 and 355F1 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
With June approaching, I went ahead and put my two 7/31/21-expiring SWUs onto a PHL-DFW-HKG roundtrip for March 2022. I was pleasantly surprised at the wide availability of C-upgrade space that coincides with the $443 roundtrip Main Cabin fare. Used a trip credit for the ticket, so it seems like a reasonable hedge. If SWUs get extended before 7/31/2021, I can always think about canceling and reallocating.
do you think Hong Kong will be open next summer? then again for $443 it's not much risk! I might just have to book one of these.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
do you think Hong Kong will be open next summer? then again for $443 it's not much risk! I might just have to book one of these.
Who knows whether HK itself will be open -- if so, I'll enjoy a 4-day weekend there. If not--and if transit rules allow for it--then I'll enjoy a 4-day weekend anywhere in the vicinity that is open with good connecting flights. Just being able to apply the SWUs to DFW-HKG-DFW felt great.

If none of that is possible then I imagine the whole route will get scrapped or pushed back and we'll have to see what if anything can be done to use the ticket/SWUs at that time, but it's all a very low risk I'm willing to take.
355F1 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just checked out Wednesday - Sunday main cabin fares dfw-hkg in March 2022. They are coming in at $2062 return. What dates did you snag that fare??
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:50 pm

just checked out Wednesday - Sunday main cabin fares dfw-hkg in March 2022. They are coming in at $2062 return. What dates did you snag that fare??
Wow, the $400 fares are gone. Crazy! They have been around for a month or so, maybe they will come back. I booked PHL-DFW-HKG on 3/3 and HKG-DFW-PHL on 3/8.

I am now seeing $700 fares from PHL and CLT. Example: https://www.google.com/travel/flight...FE0Rm5ESnBRUT0

Regardless, I don't think those fares ever existed on just DFW-HKG-DFW... the discount comes with a connection. Sometimes positioning to AUS/GGG/OKC etc can do the trick but that doesn't appear to be enough for this one.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, the $400 fares are gone. Crazy! They have been around for a month or so, maybe they will come back. I booked PHL-DFW-HKG on 3/3 and HKG-DFW-PHL on 3/8.

I am now seeing $700 fares from PHL and CLT. Example: https://www.google.com/travel/flight...FE0Rm5ESnBRUT0

Regardless, I don't think those fares ever existed on just DFW-HKG-DFW... the discount comes with a connection. Sometimes positioning to AUS/GGG/OKC etc can do the trick but that doesn't appear to be enough for this one.
thanks for checking. I checked out routes to China in March next year all $2K plus in main cabin with no SWU availability. LOL

There must be some DFW- flight to Asia in March I can redeem a SWU at a good fare no?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:01 am

thanks for checking. I checked out routes to China in March next year all $2K plus in main cabin with no SWU availability. LOL

There must be some DFW- flight to Asia in March I can redeem a SWU at a good fare no?
Nonstops will be hard to find good fares unless there's a sale or fare war

If you can position to Killeen, here's ICN with confirmable SWUs at $800rt in late Feb: https://www.google.com/travel/flight...JJRRIGCAEQABgA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.