Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

Old May 16, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I did the same calculation. I'd have to pay $900 to get $225 back with no realistic expectation of travel or clubs in 2020 I cancelled and they are mailng me a check for $450.

I find this whole situation indicative of Citi's poor customer service and I can't see that I'll come back when I can get a 2% cash back card from a competitor. More and more the airlines and their partners are pushing folks to be airline agnostic. Just buy the best airline schedule/fare you find.
My statement from May 3rd showed a balance of -$1450 after the fee hit the account as I had finally received my AA refund on my UK flights for Easter right before the cycle closed. Looks like they will be cutting me a check for $1900 in the next week, or so.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:33 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by wjj
I wonder if they realize yet that if they gave the rebate now to all card holders as of March 31 whose AF hit after that date they would not lose so many outright. I would have hung on to the card if I got the rebate in June or July this year and not 2021. Now, I am gone.
I closed the card. The only retention offer was a $100 credit for charging $3K in the next 90 days. I declined. I moved nearly all of my spend to CSR after Citi gutted the travel benefits last year, so I am not surprised that they did not come up with a better retention offer. I can reapply when the clubs open again and I guess take advantage of any miles bonus offers since I have had the card for over five years which is the last time I got a sign up bonus.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am waiting until three weeks past my annual fee (so that I can continue to earn miles for MM status) and then plan to downgrade to MileUp card. Also, I am booking several Reduced Mileage awards for the future to take advantage of that benefit while I still have it. Anyone having a problem getting annual fee back within 30 days? I would love for it to come back as a refund check (rather than credit) so that I can get the AA miles for it, too!
Old May 24, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My annual fee hit in January, little did I know then.

Retention offer was lousy, but if I'm flying AA, I want club access for IRROPs at least. But no love lost for Citi.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by wjj
Just got off the phone with Citi. My renewal fee hit in April, payment due in a couple weeks. Agent on the phone said there were no rebates or other offers. I asked her to check with a manager and when she came back she said that there will be a $225 rebate starting June 1 and that it would take one to two billing cycles for it to hit my account. But her wording was vague when I pressed her about whether I would have to wait until next year or if I would get a credit in June or July 2020.
Originally Posted by wjj
Citi / AAdvantage Executive cardmembers who had an open account as of March 31, 2020 will be issued a 1-time courtesy credit of $225 upon card renewal. Existing Citi/AAdvantage Executive accounts will be eligible for a $225 courtesy credit at the time their next annual fee bills, beginning June 1, 2020. This will continue for renewals through May 31, 2021. The courtesy statement credit will appear within 2 billing statements after the annual fee bills to their account.
Received this email from American Airlines:

Important news about your Citi / AAdvantage Executive Card Statement Credit
We recognize that due to the COVID-19 pandemic it may be difficult to utilize some of the benefits that come with your Citi / AAdvantage Executive card, including your Admirals Club membership.

As a one-time courtesy, you will be receiving a $225 statement credit to your card account upon renewal*. If you opened your Executive card account prior to April 1, 2020, look for the credit to post to your account within 1-2 billing cycles after your next renewal date. Thank you for your continued card membership.

*Terms and Conditions
To qualify for this one-time $225 statement credit, your Executive Card Account must have opened on or before March 31, 2020, have an assessed Annual Fee of $350 or more at your next renewal and be open at the time the statement credit is posted. The statement credit will post 1-2 billing cycles after your next Annual Fee is charged to your Card Account.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I got my 0 fee mile up. If/when i decide to visit an AC, I will either use miles or BusinessExtra points, most likely.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I got the $225 credit email too. That's nice to hear and I appreciate it. My renewal isn't until January so I'll look for the credit early next year.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I got the email today and am quite underwhelmed. My renewal was in March, and I paid the $450 which covered the coming year. A big chunk of that will go to waste, and now I'm told that if I give them another $450 next March they will rebate me $225 a couple of months after that. A rebate right now is obviously the appropriate compensation.
renila and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
I got the email today and am quite underwhelmed. My renewal was in March, and I paid the $450 which covered the coming year. A big chunk of that will go to waste, and now I'm told that if I give them another $450 next March they will rebate me $225 a couple of months after that. A rebate right now is obviously the appropriate compensation.
They're pretty much telling you the $225 credit is only valid if you renew.
ksucats likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I too received the email this morning, even though I had cancelled my card last week. Obviously the system take a little time to update. (No shock there) Despite the agent saying that they would cut me a check for the $450 fee, they ended up crediting it back to my account which actually had a positive balance as I received a refund for some AA flight that were cancelled in April. I’m still waiting on Citi moving those funds over to my Costco credit card as promised.

All my flights for for the remainder of the year are international J and F, so I would get lounge access anyway, assuming both that the flights operate and that the lounges are open.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: PSA, Air Cal, Tarom Glam Miles (pre-devaluation)
My renewal was in March and I'm moderately pissed at myself for not cancelling. I may even cancel in 2021 with the discount.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 8:00 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
I am ORD based and normally buy P fares and so flying AA vs UA for me is really based on price and schedule. I am LT PL on AA and made UA Silver without really trying. When it has been a close call with price and schedule I usually went with AA due to having lounge access through the Citi Executive card. The comparable UA card (Chase Club Infinite) is now being offered with a SUB of no AF for the first year. So after closing my Citi account I opened the Chase account and now have UA Club access free for one year. Now close calls go to UA and not AA. And with the lower elite qualification levels at UA this year, I could get to Gold which is essentially the same as AA PL if I move all trips to UA the rest of the year. I wonder how many others have made the same decision where AA vs UA is a toss up. Not that AA or UA really care a lot about a mid tier elite buying a dozen domestic P RTs each year, but UA is getting a serious look whereas I probably would have just stuck with AA absent this mishandled rebate issue.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Citi Executive Card "courtesy credit"

Checking my Citi balance this morning brought an unexpected surprise after seeing a odd balance:

" Courtesy Credit for COVID-19 impact "

$225.00.

Good, I was -seriously- contemplating downgrading this card since the annual fee just hit. Ironically a refund for a canceled trip ($900+) just hit as well. Too bad this will likely count against my lifetime earnings.....
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn’t see it on mine. I’ll monitor it over the few days.

thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This was announced several months ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.