Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

Old May 9, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Has anyone seen anything in writing from Citi (as opposed to the various news/blog reports or hearing from an agent on a phone call) regarding this credit? And is it automatic or something you need to call in to get?
Old May 9, 2020, 1:39 am

deleted

Last edited by tbone14; May 9, 2020 at 11:46 am Reason: changed forum
Old May 9, 2020, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tbone14
The annual fee for my Cit AAdvantage Executive Mastercard posted on March 4. I paid the annual fee on my April due date. When I called a few weeks ago, they were not able to do anything. If I am unable to get the $225 credit until March 2021 and decide to cancel, what is the minimum time I must wait before applying again to get the sign on bonus? The website states:

https://creditcards.aa.com/citi-executive-card-american-airlines-direct

Does that mean I have to wait just 65 days (8/65/95 rule), if my account was open more than 48 months ago? Or do I need to wait a full 48 months? Which interpretation is correct?
This type of question needs to be directed to the Citi forum...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...u-rewards-739/
Old May 10, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
OMAAT reporting $225 statement credit when your annual fee comes due for anyone with an active account as of March 31...

OMAAT - Citi Executive Gets $225 Credit
I did not get such a credit on a membership fee due in April. Statement closing date was May 1.

I planned on changing to another card and changing back when I could start flying again, so paid full fee 5-1. Full payment mostly because it took so long to get through and answers were not at all definitive about whether there was a card product that did not require a year to pass before I could switch back. I didn't have time to deal with it further and planned on revisiting later.

But oddly I can't see a May statement online at all.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by wjj
she said that there will be a $225 rebate starting June 1 and that it would take one to two billing cycles for it to hit my account.
Well that's good news for me since my annual fee won't hit my account until August. However, I just paid off my Citi balance and normally I would just pay off the $450 fee right away so it doesn't incur interest. I guess I'll have to wait a couple of months for the credit to hit before I can pay it all off, so I don't have a negative balance (credit) again by overpaying.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
My annual fee hit last month and is due next week, but apparently I won't get the credit until April of 2021. Does it make sense to keep the card or should I cancel until they reopen the clubs and sign up again to get a new sign up bonus?
Old May 15, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink
My annual fee hit last month and is due next week, but apparently I won't get the credit until April of 2021. Does it make sense to keep the card or should I cancel until they reopen the clubs and sign up again to get a new sign up bonus?
Well, what do you think you should do? It's your money after all...

Regards
Old May 15, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
I cancelled mine in March when the fee became due. The agent said it would be easy to reinstate the card when the clubs re-open but that I "probably" wouldn't get a sign-up bonus.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:12 am

Wonder how many Exec card holders CITI lost to cancelation because they dragged their feet on a credit.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Received the following confirmation during online chat with Citi CSR; my AF posted earlier this week, payment due in early June:
Yes that is correct we will be issuing the credit of $225 because of the current situation on the account.
As the fee is charge on 05/11/2020
The credit will be on the account within 1-2 billing cycle from this date.
For this no request is needed it will be done automatically.

Be rest assured credit will be applied and citi will do that as it is notified.
Please wait for the time frame i shared above.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
Received the following confirmation during online chat with Citi CSR; my AF posted earlier this week, payment due in early June:
Yes that is correct we will be issuing the credit of $225 because of the current situation on the account.

Thanks--that is very reassuring..
Old May 15, 2020, 12:32 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum

Well, I just endured a painful 90 minute chat with someone at Citi who did not even know what the AA Exec card was. After sending him back to his manager 3 times, here was his response. And it is worse than what has been discussed here and contrary to the message above. It says that since my fee hit the account before June 1 (it hit on April 15), I will not get a rebate until 2 cycles after my next fee hits in April 2021. So I get nothing now and only get the rebate in June 2021 if I renew again next year. So I have to pay $900 to get a $225 rebate to belong to a closed club. This is much different than what diver858 was told above. I confirmed that result with the rep since I could not believe that was true. I will be closing the card tomorrow since I am still in the 37 day window. This is a pathetic effort by Citi. Just reinforces that I was right to move all my spend to CSR last year when Citi gutted the travel benefits.

Citi / AAdvantage Executive cardmembers who had an open account as of March 31, 2020 will be issued a 1-time courtesy credit of $225 upon card renewal. Existing Citi/AAdvantage Executive accounts will be eligible for a $225 courtesy credit at the time their next annual fee bills, beginning June 1, 2020. This will continue for renewals through May 31, 2021. The courtesy statement credit will appear within 2 billing statements after the annual fee bills to their account.

Last edited by wjj; May 15, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Old May 15, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
This is great - thank you! It seems reasonable given the circumstances. Amex is doing something similar (if you call to ask about it) since the Centurion lounges are closed.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by wjj
Well, I just endured a painful 90 minute chat with someone at Citi who did not even know what the AA Exec card was. After sending him back to his manager 3 times, here was his response. And it worse than what has been discussed here and contrary to the message above. It says that since my fee hit the account before June 1 (it hit on April 15), I will not get a rebate until 2 cycles after my next fee hits in April 2021. So I get nothing now and only get the rebate in June 2021 if I renew again next year. So I have to pay $900 to get a $225 rebate to belong to a closed club. .
I did the same calculation. I'd have to pay $900 to get $225 back with no realistic expectation of travel or clubs in 2020 I cancelled and they are mailng me a check for $450.

I find this whole situation indicative of Citi's poor customer service and I can't see that I'll come back when I can get a 2% cash back card from a competitor. More and more the airlines and their partners are pushing folks to be airline agnostic. Just buy the best airline schedule/fare you find.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:27 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I did the same calculation. I'd have to pay $900 to get $225 back with no realistic expectation of travel or clubs in 2020 I cancelled and they are mailng me a check for $450.

I find this whole situation indicative of Citi's poor customer service and I can't see that I'll come back when I can get a 2% cash back card from a competitor. More and more the airlines and their partners are pushing folks to be airline agnostic. Just buy the best airline schedule/fare you find.
I wonder if they realize yet that if they gave the rebate now to all card holders as of March 31 whose AF hit after that date they would not lose so many outright. I would have hung on to the card if I got the rebate in June or July this year and not 2021. Now, I am gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.