Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by scolbath
Lucky you - for some mysterious reason (I suspect the "mystery" is some form of backroom deal) the Citi AA cards work with Apple Pay but not Google Pay. So this is a nominal improvement from my point of view.
Exactly this. I've heard in the past that AA and Apple made a deal for this. It's really annoying and I wish companies would quit alienating half of their customer base by picking Opt 1 vs Opt 2.

I'm happy that Citi finally made a contactless card - 5 years too late, but it's at least here. Makes it much easier overseas where contactless is the norm and I no longer have to use my watch with Samsung Pay to have it. Having it on my phone would be best.
scolbath likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
I also asked about this on my call with Citi on Saturday. The rep said the mailout of the new cards had been delayed and that mine went out on Friday.
Mine arrived Saturday - after I had downgraded earlier in the week. It took them forever to send the cards from the time they originally emailed me to advise of the new cards coming.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Fee hit... 37 days left for Citi to act, or its being dropped.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Stripe
I also asked about this on my call with Citi on Saturday. The rep said the mailout of the new cards had been delayed and that mine went out on Friday.
Got mine and for my two authorized users about 10 days ago.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Has anyone had recent success with converting to a fee-free card and keeping the same account? I'm definitely not inclined to pay the annual fee with the card benefits gutted if Citi doesn't make an adjustment, but I also worry that closing this account would sting the credit report. Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Has anyone had recent success with converting to a fee-free card and keeping the same account? I'm definitely not inclined to pay the annual fee with the card benefits gutted if Citi doesn't make an adjustment, but I also worry that closing this account would sting the credit report. Thanks
Not exactly, but I went the other direction and upgraded from the $95 card to the $450 exec card and it kept the same account. I was under the impression you could do the same in the other direction.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Are you sure that a conversion would actually show as a new account? (I know that it doesn't show as a new account when the account number is changed because of a lost card or fraudulent charge.)

I guess I'll find out, as I just converted mine to a MileUp card.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Can one hold 2 MileUp cards? I already have one, previously a AA PS, downgraded. If I only downgrade this to the PS ($99) thats still $250-351 saved. It has a good CL that I don't want to lose. Tempted to put *some* spend on it for AA lifetime miles, but that isn't a huge deciding factor. Don't see myself wanting to spend $3k a month to get their bad retention offer.

Thoughts? Leaning towards downgrade to MileUp and call it a day.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:40 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Kitmick1
I believe both Amex and Chase extended their time requirement to meet the minimum spend to qualify for the point bonus. In addition Chase offered a $100.00 credit on their CSR Card. I am not sure how that applies to the UA of DL card as I do not have either one of those cards.
Chase did give a rebate of 100$ on my CSR and my Chase PP cards. I can still convert to fee free unlimited
I converted the AA exec and the numbers did change on going to mileup - perhaps I should have kept it with a 95$ fee - perhaps the numbers would have been the same.
A minor inconvenience as I had memorized the old number as it had been stable for many years- Any data points there on keeping numbers?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Just got off the phone. The answer is no but the answer is more complicated and more negative than that.

You can downgrade from Citi Executive to a MIleUp card with no fee, but the number will change. However, as of today you cannot change back for a year. Citi rep went on to say they were in discussion with AA about making some allowance for oh say, not being able to fly and the AAdmirals Club being closed so it is virtually worthless. But nothing yet and Doug has to sign off on it.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by jayer
Just got off the phone. The answer is no but the answer is more complicated and more negative than that.

You can downgrade from Citi Executive to a MIleUp card with no fee, but the number will change. However, as of today you cannot change back for a year. Citi rep went on to say they were in discussion with AA about making some allowance for oh say, not being able to fly and the AAdmirals Club being closed so it is virtually worthless. But nothing yet and Doug has to sign off on it.
Yuck. That had better change quickly. I will call next week and ask again for myself.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by ksucats
Yuck. That had better change quickly. I will call next week and ask again for myself.
There seems to be an intermediate product called a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select for $99, which the agent I spoke with did not mention. When I upgraded to the Citi Executive card from whatever I had forever before that they let me keep the same number. I'll try an email in a minute and see if I can get a response overnight. Maybe I can go the other way, and preserve the option to upgrade without full re-application when air travel gets back to semi-normal.

(If you choose to call, and let us know if you learn anything, both the website and the phone tree warned of very long wait times and did everything but tell you to hang up it was hopeless. I think I got through when I did only because their automated voice could not understand me and dumped me on a live person).

I was so surprised by the lack of adaptability due to the obvious I didn't think to ask about any other card options. By then I needed off the phone anyway, I'm getting past being so amazed I just wanted to dump them both to thinking I have enough points to protect I shouldn't get too crazy and need to take some option to do so. While I'm at it I'll just start a standard Flyer Talk conspiracy thread, like "This is how they are planning on thinning out the packed AAdmirals Clubs", or, "they just aren't going to reopen most of them either". Pretty standard for FlyerTalk. Or at least "Goodbye, cruel credit card"! (Since City pointed fingers at AA insert a negative comment of your choice about management here).

I take it you are also from Kansas?
ksucats and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Last edited by jayer; Apr 29, 2020 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC

Im assuming that in light of no current extension, that there is nothing to stop one from cancelling the current card (my fee will hit my account in the next day, or so) and then opening up a new Exec card when travel starts back up again? Im pretty sure that Ive had the card at least 48 months and I have not received any SUB from other Citi cards in the meantime, so if I do renew, I can make the spend and see another 50-60K miles hit my account?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Im assuming that in light of no current extension, that there is nothing to stop one from cancelling the current card (my fee will hit my account in the next day, or so) and then opening up a new Exec card when travel starts back up again? Im pretty sure that Ive had the card at least 48 months and I have not received any SUB from other Citi cards in the meantime, so if I do renew, I can make the spend and see another 50-60K miles hit my account?
Sure, one could reapply (with or without a bonus). However, some of us are sensitive to remaining under 5/24 in order to take advantage of various Chase offerings, so some of us have to factor that trade--off into the equation.

Regards
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
There seems to be an intermediate product called a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select for $99, which the agent I spoke with did not mention. When I upgraded to the Citi Executive card from whatever I had forever before that they let me keep the same number. I'll try an email in a minute and see if I can get a response overnight. Maybe I can go the other way, and preserve the option to upgrade without full re-application when air travel gets back to semi-normal.

(If you choose to call, and let us know if you learn anything, both the website and the phone tree warned of very long wait times and did everything but tell you to hang up it was hopeless. I think I got through when I did only because their automated voice could not understand me and dumped me on a live person).

I was so surprised by the lack of adaptability due to the obvious I didn't think to ask about any other card options. By then I needed off the phone anyway, I'm getting past being so amazed I just wanted to dump them both to thinking I have enough points to protect I shouldn't get too crazy and need to take some option to do so. While I'm at it I'll just start a standard Flyer Talk conspiracy thread, like "This is how they are planning on thinning out the packed AAdmirals Clubs", or, "they just aren't going to reopen most of them either". Pretty standard for FlyerTalk. Or at least "Goodbye, cruel credit card"! (Since City pointed fingers at AA insert a negative comment of your choice about management here).

I take it you are also from Kansas?
When I called a few weeks ago, I had the same experience. All sorts of warnings about long wait times. I decided I didn't care because I was just sitting at my desk and could be on hold for hours. As soon as I got through the automated system, they answered immediately.

Yes, I live near McPherson. Mostly fly out of ICT, but some out of MHK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.