Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Kitmick1
Just a quick update...I just got off the phone with Citi no determination has been made on any of the above issues other than they are still in discussion regarding our concerns. Their systems are down so they cannot process any payments, etc.. at this time. I voiced my concerns about Citi being very late to address these issues as the major airlines as well as Chase and Amex have already made announcements as to what they will do to assist their customer during these unprecedented times.
But Chase and AMEX really havent. They are not offering anything currently related to annual fees with the United Club Card or the Delta Reserve Card
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Five Star
I believe both Amex and Chase extended their time requirement to meet the minimum spend to qualify for the point bonus. In addition Chase offered a $100.00 credit on their CSR Card. I am not sure how that applies to the UA of DL card as I do not have either one of those cards.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I called Citi about 5 days ago or so to ask about the Annual Fee/Admiral's Club issue. Mine renews in about a month and a half. I was told that they would not prorate my fee. I was told that they were in talks with AA on how they wanted to handle it, but no decision had been made. I was told they could drop me to a lower card, but there would be no reason for me to do it now because they would not prorate the fee. We both agreed that I should check back a couple weeks before my renewal fee to see if anything has changed and then drop to the lower card if nothing had.

I just logged onto my citi account and I see 2 cards. The first one has 0 balance. It says that my card is in the process of being converted to a new card. Looks like that agent went ahead and processed it for me, but that is not what we discussed at all.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by ksucats
I called Citi about 5 days ago or so to ask about the Annual Fee/Admiral's Club issue. Mine renews in about a month and a half. I was told that they would not prorate my fee. I was told that they were in talks with AA on how they wanted to handle it, but no decision had been made. I was told they could drop me to a lower card, but there would be no reason for me to do it now because they would not prorate the fee. We both agreed that I should check back a couple weeks before my renewal fee to see if anything has changed and then drop to the lower card if nothing had.

I just logged onto my citi account and I see 2 cards. The first one has 0 balance. It says that my card is in the process of being converted to a new card. Looks like that agent went ahead and processed it for me, but that is not what we discussed at all.
Depending on how old your card is Citi could just be converting it to contactless card. I know that is happening with me.

Safe Travels
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Depending on how old your card is Citi could just be converting it to contactless card. I know that is happening with me.

Safe Travels
Yeah, that could be it. I guess I will wait until it shows more. Heck, in the end it may not matter. I would say chances of me traveling and being able to use an Admiral's Club prior to my renewal date are very slim.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GTITAN

Safe Travels
Yes same here. I've had the same message now for almost two weeks and haven't gotten my new card. While I'm at it, what does this contactless card mean to me? Nothing. I already have Apple Pay so why do I need a new card??
Old Apr 19, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by RideThe22A
I called Citi yesterday and they cheerfully offered to change my card to the AAdvantage MileUp card which has zero annual fee and obviously fewer benefits. If and when things return to normal, I can call again and get my Executive card again. I was also promised a prorated refund of my $450 annual fee. Maybe I was just lucky, but the agent I spoke to was surprisingly pleasant and helpful.
The only issue that I have with the above approach is the following....

The Executive card gives the holder AC membership for $450/year, which in my mind is the only valuable benefit (RDUs and EQMs are of questionable value). For non-card holders without status, the fees for membership renewal are $650/year and even with highest Elite status, are $550/year. This doesn't include family members either (added cost for households). The credit card allows AUs access for no additional fee.

In summary, the card already gives any non-status holder a nice 20% discount off the price an ExPlat would pay and even greater discounts for if one holds lower or no staus And again that does not take into account the additional savings that family members obtain when they ride along as AUs on your credit card. This is the only reason that I keep the card(s)

My biggest concern about downgrading the card is that Citi will not allow me to upgrade it when all returns to normal. Or....if they do it will be a new card with higher fees and more restrictions. IOWs, cardholders who keep their card get grandfathered, but those that cancel get pushed into the new product.

At this time, an AA ExPlat who wants a household AC membership will fork over $1100/year for the privilege. I pay $450/year for me and 4 others in my household. All AA and Citi have to do is say "nope" when the downgrader wants to reup, and it doesn't take too many years (like 1) for the savings that the downgrader initially achieved, to go down the drain. (presuming that they want what I currently have).

Lucky for me, I don't have to make a decision for at least 7 months, so I can sit back and watch what happens. I certainly hope that it turns out okay, but the way Citi has been behaving over the past 6 months, I am very uncertain as to outcomes.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I called Citi yesterday to (1) transfer to my bank account a big credit balance from a slew of AA refunds, and (2) ask about compensation for not being able to use the main card benefit for a period of time. #1 was no problem, and regarding #2 the rep tried to assure me that management is looking at this question very carefully and would "take care of its customers". Nothing specific, and no time frame, of course, but she said they are getting many calls about it.

I suppose if they started getting a lot of cancellations they would move faster. In that case, unfortunately, the ones who don't cancel get the benefit of any fee reduction or membership year extension that might come along.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
I called Citi yesterday to (1) transfer to my bank account a big credit balance from a slew of AA refunds, and (2) ask about compensation for not being able to use the main card benefit for a period of time. #1 was no problem, and regarding #2 the rep tried to assure me that management is looking at this question very carefully and would "take care of its customers". Nothing specific, and no time frame, of course, but she said they are getting many calls about it.

I suppose if they started getting a lot of cancellations they would move faster. In that case, unfortunately, the ones who don't cancel get the benefit of any fee reduction or membership year extension that might come along.
I think it probably ends up being a wash - mine just billed and even if they announce a 6-month extension of benefit, I suppose I would just get the card again in 6 months' time. But, at least they won't have had my $450 for six months without me getting any value out of it. Plus, there's no telling what the coming months hold for us in terms of travel so there's more certainty of $ in my pocket versus Citi's. The primary downside probably being some elimination of the multiple user benefit that made this advantageous over a standard Admirals Club membership.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
So tired of people complaining about the credit card annual fee. If you’re so worried about losing out on a couple of months of AAdmirala club membership and having to pay for it, maybe you should stay home.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
So tired of people complaining about the credit card annual fee. If you’re so worried about losing out on a couple of months of AAdmirala club membership and having to pay for it, maybe you should stay home.
Or stay out of this thread altogether. You'll sleep better at night.
renila, GTITAN, Stripe and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes same here. I've had the same message now for almost two weeks and haven't gotten my new card.
I started getting those messages several weeks ago and the charges started showing up under the new card # quite some time ago. New cards finally arrived just last week. The old card numbers supposedly will continue to work for a few more months for online purchases and bills, so I have some time to decide whether to shift my online purchases to the new card number, or to cancel that card and shift my online activity to a completely different card,
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Why is it so tiring? People complaining about status extensions which don't really matter until Feb 1, 2021, was tiring.

In this case, the top benefits which Citi markets for the $450 are either unavailable or drastically reduced. Given that the fee covers these benefits, logic says Citi should quickly step up and make some concessions.
JJeffrey, renila, ksucats and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes same here. I've had the same message now for almost two weeks and haven't gotten my new card. While I'm at it, what does this contactless card mean to me? Nothing. I already have Apple Pay so why do I need a new card??
Lucky you - for some mysterious reason (I suspect the "mystery" is some form of backroom deal) the Citi AA cards work with Apple Pay but not Google Pay. So this is a nominal improvement from my point of view.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hbtr
I started getting those messages several weeks ago and the charges started showing up under the new card # quite some time ago. New cards finally arrived just last week. The old card numbers supposedly will continue to work for a few more months for online purchases and bills, so I have some time to decide whether to shift my online purchases to the new card number, or to cancel that card and shift my online activity to a completely different card,
I also asked about this on my call with Citi on Saturday. The rep said the mailout of the new cards had been delayed and that mine went out on Friday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.