Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

AA Citi Executive Card - $225 fee rebate, EQM extension, etc. changes?

Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by dave_261
Citi, and especially for this card, is usually very willing to engage in retention offers to reduce or refund the annual fee (I supposed based on spend and payment record).

I suspect this year will be no exception.
That used to be the case but not anymore. As a holder of this card and a peruser of the Citi CC form, we have been all getting the paltry, spend $3000 every month for three months and get a 100 credit. Wasn't a fan .....

Safe Travels
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm curious how many people are Admirals Club members via direct membership versus this card. Unless they are paying with miles, isn't the cash outlay always cheaper going the Citicard route? Even more so with authorized users?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I have this card and the only reason I keep it is as a reduced cost instrument for Admirals Club admission.

Citi sucks. They completely gutted all the travel benefits.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by dave_261
Citi, and especially for this card, is usually very willing to engage in retention offers to reduce or refund the annual fee (I supposed based on spend and payment record).

I suspect this year will be no exception.
Back when I could find saver TATL award flights in J, I would use the card as my everyday card to earn miles and would more often than not have enough spend on the card to get the 10K EQM which has on occasion helped me retain status. As those awards became more and more scarce, I used the card a lot less and now with the reduced card benefits, I charge around 20 bucks a month to the card. I donít see me getting a retention offer come renewal time early next month.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:38 pm

Someone asked the importance of 37 days. The 37 day from fee posting is the number of days you have to cancel or downgrade to get 100% of your fee refunded back to you. You can find several verified people.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
My annual membership fee posted on Mar 13, with the description saying "MEMBERSHIP FEE MAR 20-FEB 21". So I should still be able to call and cancel and get the fee removed?

The Admirals Club membership and access for three other family members was the main reason for holding the card. With the AC closed and no need for more AA miles and no need for the 10,000 EQM I don't see any sense in keeping the card. I assume they will let me reapply in a couple of months if/when things open up.
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by Stripe; Apr 14, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:03 pm

Thumbs up Product Change

I called Citi yesterday and they cheerfully offered to change my card to the AAdvantage MileUp card which has zero annual fee and obviously fewer benefits. If and when things return to normal, I can call again and get my Executive card again. I was also promised a prorated refund of my $450 annual fee. Maybe I was just lucky, but the agent I spoke to was surprisingly pleasant and helpful.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:03 pm

My annual fee is due in August, so I was going to call them in July to see if they are offering any incentives at that time. I figure by then, things will either be on the their way to getting better, or still be in pretty bad shape as they are now.

I'm also one who primarily uses the card for only AC access now, as I paid off my balance earlier this year and haven't been using it since the current 19.74% APR is higher than all of my other cards. But then I'm also not traveling as much for work any more, and really the past couple of years of AC use has mostly been with my family when we're traveling a few times a year.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Chase just announced it was extending its minimum spend period by 3 months for anyone who signed up Jan 1 thru March 31 2020. It would be nice to see if Citi follows the lead of Amex and Chase
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Pretty disappointing that Citi and AA haven't come up with anything to do things right for Citi Executive cardholders.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'm curious how many people are Admirals Club members via direct membership versus this card. Unless they are paying with miles, isn't the cash outlay always cheaper going the Citicard route? Even more so with authorized users?
I think that option is used by those whose membership is paid for with OPM. But also, some people may not want, or cannot get, the Citi Exec card.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This. There are tons of people who are reimbursed for club memberships but not credit card fees. Whether that is economically sensible is irrelevant. The former costs the individual $0 while the latter costs $450.
OskiBear likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm glad this thread was started. I'm up in August so have some time. I have the card specifically for the AC membership. I am allowed to book my business flights on it so double miles help. The 10k EQM is nice but this year won't matter to me. Luckily, my company splits the fee for me so I suppose I can justify it for another year assuming travel is back to normal in 2021. Hopefully some sort of reduced fee is in order.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RideThe22A
I called Citi yesterday and they cheerfully offered to change my card to the AAdvantage MileUp card which has zero annual fee and obviously fewer benefits. If and when things return to normal, I can call again and get my Executive card again. I was also promised a prorated refund of my $450 annual fee. Maybe I was just lucky, but the agent I spoke to was surprisingly pleasant and helpful.
Mine just billed and I called and did the same thing. Asked if there were any other retention offers, but no dice. Maybe it's the fact that I never spend on this card except for AA in-flight purchases to get the 25% discount. Oh well, it'll be an AAdvantage MileUp card for now.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Just a quick update...I just got off the phone with Citi no determination has been made on any of the above issues other than they are still in discussion regarding our concerns. Their systems are down so they cannot process any payments, etc.. at this time. I voiced my concerns about Citi being very late to address these issues as the major airlines as well as Chase and Amex have already made announcements as to what they will do to assist their customer during these unprecedented times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.