Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantage® credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantage® and AAdvantage® Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantage® credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your Citi® / AAdvantage®, AAdvantage®Aviator® Silver, AAdvantage® Aviator® Red, AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue, and AAdvantage® Aviator®Business credit card that post to your AAdvantage® account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantage® bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
VFTW reporting that bonus categories will apply to lifetime miles.
No, it doesn’t. The article explicitly says they won’t.

• Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning would count and not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JDiver
No, it doesn’t. The article explicitly says they won’t.

Under earn rate, Gary seems to suggest that it does.
JDiver, renila and Flyertalker1 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
seems odd that no other blogger seemed to ask or report on that specific part around spending bonus
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:33 pm

Thanks for correcting me - I misread and took cues from some others. Credit card acquisition bonus miles do not count, but lies based on the earn rate.

I’m hoping to see this verified by members using the AA shopping portal, because some vendors occasionally offer 20 or even more miles per dollar spent. And this is FkyerTalk, so we will know; someone will figure a major MM mile score and post, I’m sure.

lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:17 pm

I'm not convinced that Gary is correct with 2X earnings on the bonus categories counting 2X towards MM. No other blogger is stating that. I guess we shall see when statements begin to close in May.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT103
I'm not convinced that Gary is correct with 2X earnings on the bonus categories counting 2X towards MM. No other blogger is stating that. I guess we shall see when statements begin to close in May.
Exactly, but I'm actually hoping he's right because that makes this even more lucrative.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:34 pm

Exactly, but I'm actually hoping he's right because that makes this even more lucrative.
I couldn’t agree more.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
My statement always shows the 2x categories (including AA) as "Bonus" Miles seperately from "Purchase" Miles. I am not getting my hopes up.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by DesertRat
FWIW, 60 percent of my AA lifetime miles were actually from America West (1988-05), and another 30 percent were US Airways, so at least they went back a ways on those.
I washed a boatload of Amex MR into TWA's program right before the Advantage consolidation, that was another predecessor program.

LT PLT has certainly been devalued. What i like best about it now is the luggage allowance (applied to all pax on a record, with 2 kids and a nanny i routinely check 10 bags with no fees), and fee free BA seat assignments (especially the 744 UD.)
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm still well down in the MM food chain (600,000+) miles, but I do load up about 75,000 a year in credit card spend. If I pay my property tax, car payment, mortgage, car tax, and the like with the CC (assume a 2.5% fee from Plastiq), that would be an additional 35,000 million miler points. Hmmm...... Almost all of my utilities are done via credit card (no fee).
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I washed a boatload of Amex MR into TWA's program right before the Advantage consolidation, that was another predecessor program.

LT PLT has certainly been devalued. What i like best about it now is the luggage allowance (applied to all pax on a record, with 2 kids and a nanny i routinely check 10 bags with no fees), and fee free BA seat assignments (especially the 744 UD.)
How has LT PLT been devalued over the years?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:28 pm

How has LT PLT been devalued over the years?
How much time do you have? Don't even know where to start
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdix
Haha. Are we not stuck at home? I'm curious how AA devalued it's program over the years.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by sdix
This could be fun. Number one for me is the creation of the PltPro level, with no way to get there under the LT program. Number two is reduced mileage accrual relative to other elite levels.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle

Perhaps I missed this, but have these interpretations of the promotion rules actually been officially confirmed by AA or Citi? I don't recall credit card spending promos working like this in the past (posting dates trump spending dates), and it seems somewhat arbitrarily punitive to those who have an early-in-the-month posting date as those people will not get any credit for a lot of Christmas spending in December which will be replaced instead by stay-at-home, reduced spending in the second half of April. (And yes I realize this is the first time that AA has offered a LT million-miler promo since it made significant changes to the program years ago.)
AA has not, as far as I’m aware, published anything more than what we can see via the links. But Gary Leff / View From the Wing, as quoted in the Wikipost, did verify the terms and conditions stated. We hope others, whether members here or bloggers, will be able to verify or discount the claim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.