Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantageŽ and AAdvantageŽ Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantageŽ credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ, AAdvantageŽAviatorŽ Silver, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Red, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Blue, and AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽBusiness credit card that post to your AAdvantageŽ account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantageŽ bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
I have a Citi AA card that closed on 5/1. The statement miles appear on aa.com as million miler. I definitely will be changing the closing date on that one before December.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ptsailor
This may be useful for end of year decision making...
What do you intend to do?
Old May 18, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
What do you intend to do?
nothing specific... but if I need to return anything in November and can wait until December, I may.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my Citibusiness statement closed and my points posted in my account. I noticed that there isn't a specific MM entry. I do see how much MM was added to my balance only when I log into my AA account on my desktop. In the bottom left corner of the row, it's stated how much was added to my MM balance in addition to my award miles. If I log into my AA account via the app or mobile browser, I don't see anything about MM balance.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So my Citibusiness statement closed and my points posted in my account. I noticed that there isn't a specific MM entry. I do see how much MM was added to my balance only when I log into my AA account on my desktop. In the bottom left corner of the row, it's stated how much was added to my MM balance in addition to my award miles. If I log into my AA account via the app or mobile browser, I don't see anything about MM balance.
When I open up the app on my phone, at the top is a box with my name, EXP, and available award miles. The arrow on the right side takes me to a more detailed page with million miles and then below the wallet link is a link to "your activity" where it shows the credit card add with MM. I hope I am understanding your point/comment.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taxare
When I open up the app on my phone, at the top is a box with my name, EXP, and available award miles. The arrow on the right side takes me to a more detailed page with million miles and then below the wallet link is a link to "your activity" where it shows the credit card add with MM. I hope I am understanding your point/comment.
Oops, I don't know how I missed that!
Old May 24, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Looks like my success with a refund cost me in MM miles. Refund requested in Apr, completed May 1, and that value was subtracted from the MM miles I would have received from my May spend. Seems a little unfair since the refund request was actually in April and the initial spend for that flight was several months ago. I wonder if the refund had been completed in April whether I would have kept my entire May spend as MM miles.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hbtr
Looks like my success with a refund cost me in MM miles. Refund requested in Apr, completed May 1, and that value was subtracted from the MM miles I would have received from my May spend. Seems a little unfair since the refund request was actually in April and the initial spend for that flight was several months ago. I wonder if the refund had been completed in April whether I would have kept my entire May spend as MM miles.
Same situation here.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hbtr
Im worried about the nuances of the small print. My statement is due on the 15th of the month. Since AA still has no lounges open, I am downgrading my Citi Exec card to MileUp on the 31st. I wonder if that means I lose the bonus miles I was earning on a targeted promo with the card and the Million Miler miles from 5/15-5/31. That would be really sneaky on Citi's part. Does anyone know if that might happen? I am going to pay off my bill before I downgrade the card...in case that makes a difference.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:55 am

Got all my May 25th closing date miles posted. 46,000 MM's which includes the 10,000 EQM's.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdix
Got all my May 25th closing date miles posted. 46,000 MM's which includes the 10,000 EQM's.
The EQM bonus from the Citi Executive count towards MM?
Old May 28, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
The EQM bonus from the Citi Executive count towards MM?
No. I think sdix meant 46k MMM AND 10k EQM.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
No. I think sdix meant 46k MMM AND 10k EQM.
46K in one statement cycle? Wow.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Edited: Ok, I see the that my purchases and see that they are MM miles.

Last edited by firespirit; Jun 18, 2020 at 11:25 pm Reason: Found the MM
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:38 am

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Lifetime miles is only via AA branded credit cards or also other cards?

I read somewhere that American Airlines is now allowing (thru December) the miles earned on their credit card to be counted for lifetime miles.
Is it only on miles earned on their credit cards or also on miles transferred in from other credit cards?

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.