Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
AA does not charge any fees to change an award ticket, or to cancel an award ticket and redeposit the miles and refund any taxes and fees. This policy applies to all award tickets booked with AAdvantage miles on AA flights as well as all partner carriers.

In order to be eligible for a refund of the miles and taxes/fees you must cancel the award before the first flight on the itinerary departs.

For most awards canceled at aa.com the miles and taxes/fees are automatically refunded, however in some cases you may still have to call to have an agent manually process the redeposit and refund. Typically if you do not see the miles automatically redeposited within a few minutes you will have to call.

AA policy (see "Manage Your Award Travel" section)
Print Wikipost

Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by enviroian
of course I am. The title if the post should be more accurate then.

“new award changes and mileage redeposit fees (except EXP)” would be more accurate.
LOL, says the king of starting threads with cryptic 3 word thread titles...
uncommonsensical likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules
When you say "existing rules", the way I read it is award travel booked prior to 5/31/2020 for travel thru 9/30/2020 can be changed/reinstated without penalty. Is that not right?

Quote from aa.com: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
When you say "existing rules", the way I read it is award travel booked prior to 5/31/2020 for travel thru 9/30/2020 can be changed/reinstated without penalty. Is that not right?

Quote from aa.com: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
That's how I originally read it too. On rereading, it depends on whether the first sentence that you quote stands alone, or whether it's merely set-up for the second paragraph. I'd say it's ambiguous. Right now might be the time to get old tickets redeposited, before AA corrects that ambiguity.

Last edited by siankaan1; Apr 14, 2020 at 10:10 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:57 am

AA just redeposited the miles for 4 old award tickets that I've been hanging on to, with no redeposit fee and refund of taxes. So at least for now they are treating the first sentence of yesterday's announcement as a stand-alone statement.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Called AA-Plat, answer in 30 seconds

Just to report that I called today AA-Plat to cancel flights -- answer in 30 seconds !! Never happened before.
I cancelled 2 one-way award international trips for May - no miles reinstatement fees.
I cancelled 1 paid-for domestic trip . Qualified for refund because just changed from direct to with-connection.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:21 am

I've seen blogs describe the new elite discount on fees as a positive. Unless traveling alone, it's effectively ONLY a positive for Platinum Pro.

Most of my awards are with a companion, and I'd guess that's a common case. As platinum, the old fee was $150 to cancel. Now with the "discount" it's still $150 at day 59. One week out it goes to $200. Gold and Regular have it worse. EXP is unchanged at $0.

So none of those people are getting a discount, only Platinum Pro. If 3-4 people are on your PNR, the discount is wiped out for Platinum Pro too.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules
I was referring to an award ticket booked last August for June of this year. Had I canceled a couple of months ago, I would have had until August to use the ticket or would have had to pay to have the miles reinstated. Until yesterday, I would have had through next year to use the ticket or would have had to pay to get the miles reinstated. I waited until yesterday and got the miles, taxes and fees back at no cost. I don't see how that is the "existing rules."

Edited to add: I see now that the subject refers to bookings after June 1. However, the first sentence of the posted quote refers to my situation (bookings before June). Hence, my confusion.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Apr 14, 2020 at 1:35 pm
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:44 pm

Hello all, I read the posts above. AA"s announcement is a little confusing.

I purchased an Award ticket in January-2020 (all flights on QR), for travel in November-2020.
I will most likely have to cancel this trip (even though its months away).
The flights are still on schedule. No schedule changes, etc.

I am not sure if I can cancel this without any penalty based on today's announcement.
Looks like the announcement only refers to travel before Sept-30??

Miles came from AA-Platinum elite.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello all, I read the posts above. AA"s announcement is a little confusing.

I purchased an Award ticket in January-2020 (all flights on QR), for travel in November-2020.
I will most likely have to cancel this trip (even though its months away).
The flights are still on schedule. No schedule changes, etc.

I am not sure if I can cancel this without any penalty based on today's announcement.
Looks like the announcement only refers to travel before Sept-30??

Miles came from AA-Platinum elite.
I think there would be a reinstatement fee since travel is after September 30. But you can always try...let us know what happens!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1
I think there would be a reinstatement fee since travel is after September 30. But you can always try...let us know what happens!
Yes..i also feel there will be a fee. I am going to wait for a month or two...maybe something will change.....or a massive schedule change will happen.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Cancelling Award After 6/1/20

I have a OW award ticket for 2 pax for travel on 7/29/20 to Tokyo which I want to cancel.I do not have status so I would incur $175 in fees if I cancel before 6/1 when the new no fee policy takes effect. To cancel for free after 6/1, travel must be more than 60 days out, AA has a rule that you can change your award ticket for up to 21 days for no fee. If I move my ticket just a few days later, then can't I cancel for free? If so, what is the best way to contact AA for this?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
AA Twitter support is ridiculous. My booking wasn't covered under any of the waivers, nor is it under the new policy as it was ticketed last year.

"Hi Twitter support, I have booking X can you cancel and give me back my miles?"
"Sure, done. You'll have them within 72hrs."

And they're already back in my account. I wish all companies had agents who just did what you asked regardless of actual policy.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rxgeek
I have a OW award ticket for 2 pax for travel on 7/29/20 to Tokyo which I want to cancel.I do not have status so I would incur $175 in fees if I cancel before 6/1 when the new no fee policy takes effect. To cancel for free after 6/1, travel must be more than 60 days out, AA has a rule that you can change your award ticket for up to 21 days for no fee. If I move my ticket just a few days later, then can't I cancel for free? If so, what is the best way to contact AA for this?
You can cancel now for free:
"We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by rxgeek
My understanding is that this can be cancelled up until day of travel with free redeposit, right?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:26 am

So I'm a little confused about their new policy.
What happens if I make an award booking today, for travel next March?
I don't fall under the policy of booking made before May for travel to Sept.
I also don't fall under the policy about bookings made after June 1, 2020.
Or do they mean any tickets booked to fly on or after June 1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.