FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2015666-award-change-miles-redeposit-fees-issues-1-jul-2020-consolidated.html)

whimsey21 May 5, 2020 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Desirees (Post 32351971)
I read over this and the site and hoping you can help me clarify. So if I book award tickets for Jan now 2021 now - that means I fall under the covid 19 cancellation and can do so without penalty or fees. But if I book the same after June 1 - then I get charged the fees unless I cancel 60 days out?

this is the same basic question that I was asking earlier in this thread. I think the answer depends on when the tickets are actually issued, not when you book, since the language in the policy change specifies “ticketed” before/after June 1. This wouldn’t matter for most AA awards, but there can be a significant lag between booking and ticketing for partner awards.. If I’m misreading that, someone please let me know.

bonchien May 10, 2020 9:44 pm

I'm confused by AA's wording on whether fees that will be charged for my flights if I cancel before May 31st. On January 23rd, I purchased two one way flights for my wife and myself using my miles for SFO-FCO on July 18th, and two one way flights for FCO-SFO using my wife's miles on August 20th. If I'm reading the AA.com requirements correctly the tickets don't qualify for no fee automatic reinstatement cancellation because the reservations are for more than one person. Per their policy for more than one person I would have to pay $175 for each trip, $350 total, to reinstate the miles if I cancel the trips. I do not have executive or any premier status with AA. Is this correct?

Canceling / reinstating flight awards

If your trip is not eligible for automatic reinstatement of your miles, contact Reservations for help with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.
  • You can request to have your AAdvantage® mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage® award if your reservation is canceled before departure and if the ticket has not expired.
  • The reinstatement fee is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 fee per ticket.
  • Cancellations of the original ticket purchased 2 or more days before departure will have up to 24 hours for a full ticket refund including mileage reinstatement.
  • If you cancel the ticket on aa.com, you must call Reservations to request the mileage reinstatement and pay the applicable award reinstatement fee.
  • This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.

avatexrs May 12, 2020 10:54 pm

Web special reinstatement

The new AA policy states that, if I book an award ticket after June 1 for travel in 2021, I can cancel it more than 60 days out and get the miles reinstated without a fee. Does that also apply to web specials if I’m only Platinum and not Executive Platinum?

PeaceandPost May 17, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm considering a booking for 2 from DFW-HND-BKK on JL and then BKK-DOH-DFW on QR in mid October. The dates would be just outside of the free cancellation and reinstatement policy set to end September 30. I don't think it matters if these awards are on separate PNR's for purposes of the reinstatement fee, but just wanted to clarify. If I do 4 separate PNR's for this (each one way as it's own PNR) this would cost $150 + $25 x 3 = $225 to reinstate, correct? Thanks

hawkfan7314 May 17, 2020 5:05 pm

Looking for help to see if I’m understanding timelines right. I booked award flight 4/20 for travel 02/18/21. I want to change the destination. I don’t qualify for any COVID waivers because I travel after Sept 2020 and I don’t qualify for the new $0 change fee because I got the award flight June 1st. So I will have to pay the $150 fee correct? Or will it be the $0 if I try to do the change after June 1st?

bonchien May 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by bonchien (Post 32365125)
I'm confused by AA's wording on whether fees that will be charged for my flights if I cancel before May 31st. On January 23rd, I purchased two one way flights for my wife and myself using my miles for SFO-FCO on July 18th, and two one way flights for FCO-SFO using my wife's miles on August 20th. If I'm reading the AA.com requirements correctly the tickets don't qualify for no fee automatic reinstatement cancellation because the reservations are for more than one person. Per their policy for more than one person I would have to pay $175 for each trip, $350 total, to reinstate the miles if I cancel the trips. I do not have executive or any premier status with AA. Is this correct?

Posting this follow up for others in the same situation. I called AA reservations yesterday and asked if I could cancel the trips without fees to get our miles and fees back. After the CSR put me on hold for a short time, she told me yes and cancelled our flights. The miles are back in our accounts today. Waiting on the fees to be credited back now.

davesam12 May 24, 2020 6:11 am

Booked a F RT award DFW-HNL-DFW in early January for my spouse for July 10-24 travel. Two weeks ago, called AA, got agent on line in a couple minutes. He, without question canceled the flights. Points were back in my account within an hour. He said fees/tax would be credited back to my credit card. Now, I have yet to cancel the paid RT F ticket DFW-HNL-DFW booked at the same time for myself. We were booked on flight #123 which is canceled and moved to #5 (which last time I checked looked 75% full -distance seating?). So, will see how that goes when I call to cancel. Or if #5 gets canceled also because of continued Hawaii travel restrictions.

gregillinois May 25, 2020 12:16 pm

So for next April to Europe options to cancel award tickets?

Please confirm if I am weighing my options correctly. If I book to Dublin in May I will be under the old rule ie:$125 1st ticket, $25 second ticket but I retain the valuable option of being to cancel up to April. I am leaning to that option so I can make decision to cancel at last minute for a total fee of $150. If I book June 1 then I benefit from the no fee 60 days out but risk the virus vaccine issue being unresolved if I have to decide in Feb. 2021 (60 days before April flight). Then if I cancel within 60 days it is $125 fee for each ticket or $250 total. As I decide this week are my numbers correct and anyone else weighed the pros and cons of which fee penalty to risk? Thanks.

Dave Noble May 25, 2020 2:20 pm

I would think it feasible that you would be able to make in February, a reasonable assessment of whether to take the the trip in April . I would go with the booking in June and be able to cancel free of charge up until 60 days before departure

tom_MN May 26, 2020 9:57 am

Situation:

Used wife's AA account on Feb 5 to book award travel for wife end of June returning July. This nonstop on AA metal but probably operated by a regional carrier (MSP>>DCA) is no longer running, but the new itinerary has not yet been posted.

From what I gathered from AA.com, if I cancel these flights in her account then the miles will be redeposited for free, correct? What about the $11 or so fee charged ($5.50 each way), is that refunded? Is there any advantage to waiting before canceling?

avatexrs May 27, 2020 1:39 pm

The AA policy on redepositing miles for trips booked after June 1 is confusing to me.

Suppose I book an award ticket after June 1 for travel through AA.com with a leg on Iberia. AA's policy initially says that if you're EP, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online, and travel is on American Airlines flights only. Since I'm not EP and one leg is on Iberia, that won't apply to me.

AA's policy then says that if your trip is not eligible for automatic reinstatement of your miles, you can change or reinstate your miles by paying the applicable fee, depending on your status and how far in advance of the flight it is. So if I'm PL and it's more than 60 days out, there would be no fee to do that.

But does that the fact that one leg of my flight is not on American change that? Or does that matter only for automatic reinstatement?

saaveraward May 28, 2020 9:38 pm

Per TPG, does anyone know if this is fact or fiction? And does"changed" include cancel and re-deposit? Does not seem to be a definitive answer in this thread.

With these updates (which kick in June 1, 2020), AA will allow Web Special awards to be changed for free if you modify your itinerary 60 days or more before departure.

JPG3392 May 29, 2020 9:19 am

Originally Posted by tom_MN (Post 32404834)
Situation:

Used wife's AA account on Feb 5 to book award travel for wife end of June returning July. This nonstop on AA metal but probably operated by a regional carrier (MSP>>DCA) is no longer running, but the new itinerary has not yet been posted.

From what I gathered from AA.com, if I cancel these flights in her account then the miles will be redeposited for free, correct? What about the $11 or so fee charged ($5.50 each way), is that refunded? Is there any advantage to waiting before canceling?

For the dates that I somewhat arbitrarily checked (25 June--1 July), AA is offering MSP-DCA award travel on one nonstop each way daily, as well as several one-stop options if your wife still wishes to make the trip. But if you cancel, your fees will be refunded to the original form of payment.

nk15 May 29, 2020 3:07 pm

There has been an extension for tickets booked by May 31 to June 30, for change fees. Does anyone know if this extension also wave the award redeposit fees? We know that this was clearly stated for tickets booked by May 31, but is this clear for award tickets booked by June 30?
Here is the new AA extension link:
Newsroom - American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers in June - American Airlines Group, Inc.

avatexrs May 29, 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 32414181)
There has been an extension for tickets booked by May 31 to June 30, for change fees. Does anyone know if this extension also wave the award redeposit fees? We know that this was clearly stated for tickets booked by May 31, but is this clear for award tickets booked by June 30?
Here is the new AA extension link:
Newsroom - American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers in June - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Per aa.com:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. For all other trips, contact Reservations to have your miles reinstated.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ourawardtravel