Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings — link

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020 (note: policy has been revised, was originally supposed to take effect June 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated. (No discount for additional flyers on same award.)Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 20, 20, 10:46 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
You still can’t change a web special, only cancel and reinstate the miles and then book the new ticket. (Or more likely, put the new flight on hold, then cancel/reinstate the old one, then buy the new one.) But the end the result is the same provided you’re changing your plans 60+ days out.
That is what I thought the process would be but I have seen some other travel blogs that are stating that you can change them. If I can find that blog I will post a link. Maybe they are thinking it is the manner you say (hold new, cancel old, book new = change) which is what I thought it would be, but the writer did say they were changeable which I know the end result is change but I don't think saying they are changeable is accurate.

thanks,
Old Apr 21, 20, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
AA Twitter support is ridiculous. My booking wasn't covered under any of the waivers, nor is it under the new policy as it was ticketed last year.
And they're already back in my account. I wish all companies had agents who just did what you asked regardless of actual policy.
Their Twitter team continue to be great -- I've had to cancel two award tickets this spring, and both times it's taken less than an hour to get a reply. With each, the miles were back in my account the same day, and the fees back to my credit card soon thereafter. The process took less of my time than I would have spent just listening to the phone tree menu if I had called.

The great customer service here definitely earns AA a gold star in my book for when it's time to get back to flying again.
Old Apr 21, 20, 10:44 pm

Programs: QR/VA Gold, QF Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If I book an award post 1-June, and then cancel the booking for free and get points back, do I reset the account miles expiry date?
Old Apr 22, 20, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kamchatsky View Post
If I book an award post 1-June, and then cancel the booking for free and get points back, do I reset the account miles expiry date?
Until 1 June, when somebody tries it, it will be pure speculation
Old Apr 22, 20, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kamchatsky View Post
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Until 1 June, when somebody tries it, it will be pure speculation
Agree, however as the system works now any activity, including an award mileage redeposit, resets the miles expiration clock.

Looking at my account, my last activity was an award redeposit on Mar 26, with miles expiration date now of Sep 26, 2021.

So, booking an award ticket outside of 60 days then canceling for a reseposit should become the new easy no-fee way to keep miles from expiring. With DL and UA having no expiration, its not as if this is really that big of a loophole anyways.

I can think of about a million things AA's IT department needs to work on before they update anything regarding what counts as a mileage activity, so I'm going to assume (hope) things won't change in this regard.
Old Apr 22, 20, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yes that's correct. You cancel, the cancel is notated but you have to call in to have them redeposit your miles. It took all of 5 minutes including hold time for me. They said they would be back within 7 days, but I got my miles back in 20 minutes. Still waiting on the taxes refund as that goes through the normal "refund" process.
I wish. I cancelled an award ticket over the phone on April 6 because AA cancelled the PHL-LIS leg of my August flight. After repeated calls, the co-pays were credited to my credited to my credit card three days ago, but the miles are still not back in my account. AA says they should be back by May 1.
Old Apr 23, 20, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP, MR Plat
If your flight is canceled, do you even need to call in?

You can call anytime in the future to get your miles and taxes refunded.

Will they let you switch to any new set of flights getting you from the same origin to the same destination?
Old May 4, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Hi all-- just want to make sure I understand the new rules around awards before I make changes. I currently have partner award tickets booked back in January for travel to India/Sri Lanka this August. I'm looking to push the trip off to next March, and currently award seats are available. I know that under the waiver, I can cancel this trip and redeposit my miles. I think I then have 2 choices:
1) Book the March trip immediately to grab the seats. If it tickets by the end of May (my last partner awards took more than 4 weeks to actually ticket from the time I booked them with an agent), I'm under the old rules, meaning I can change the dates of travel at any time, as long as origin and destination remain the same, but I won't be able to cancel and redeposit the miles without fees. If issuing the ticket happens to take more than 4 weeks, I'll end up in under the new rules instead.
2) Wait until June 1 and book the tickets (if they are still available). Then my trip will be definitely be changeable/cancellable up to 60 days before departure, but I'll pay fees for any changes within the 60 day window.

Does that seem like the correct reading? In both cases, I'm assuming that the critical date is the date the ticket numbers are issued and miles are pulled from the account, rather than the date I book the ticket online or with an agent. I think the new rules will actually work out better for me so I have an escape clause from the trip if needed, but don't want to wait until June 1 and risk losing the seats (currently showing available) if I'm misreading the situation.
Thanks!
Old May 4, 20, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I currently have an award ticket from MLE-DOH-ORD in J scheduled for October 15th. AA wont waive the reinstatement charge per their policy (theyre being totally inflexible, ive called like 3 times and absolutely nothing... and i really dont want to pay 150 dollars cuz that seems a bit absurd given the situation).

this might be sketchy... but if i ask to move this flight from october 15th to any day before september 30th, lets say september 10th, would i then be able to cancel this ticket and get my miles reinstated free of charge?

Last edited by rvlcr; May 4, 20 at 5:36 pm
Old May 4, 20, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by rvlcr View Post
I currently have an award ticket from MLE-DOH-ORD in J scheduled for October 15th. AA wont waive the reinstatement charge per their policy (theyre being totally inflexible, ive called like 3 times and absolutely nothing... and i really dont want to pay 150 dollars cuz that seems a bit absurd given the situation).

this might be sketchy... but if i ask to move this flight from october 15th to any day before september 30th, lets say september 10th, would i then be able to cancel this ticket and get my miles reinstated free of charge?
There isn't anything absurd about it - the airline has a published policy for where it will offer a waiver - moving it now than it will not have been a ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020 , but a ticket purchased for travel October 15

You could wait and see whether, if things do not change, that AA will extend the waiver option and then get the redeposit for free

It is actually good , imo, to see agents acting consistently and not being a case of agent roulette on whether rules are followed or ignored
Old May 4, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
There isn't anything absurd about it - the airline has a published policy for where it will offer a waiver - moving it now than it will not have been a ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020 , but a ticket purchased for travel October 15

You could wait and see whether, if things do not change, that AA will extend the waiver option and then get the redeposit for free

It is actually good , imo, to see agents acting consistently and not being a case of agent roulette on whether rules are followed or ignored
thanks for your reply. sorry if my comment on being "absurd" sounded pretentious - it was not related to the agents (who were rightfully doing their job), but rather to AAs policy.. all other airlines ive dealt with are reinstating miles free of charge but of course AA has to be difficult about it. it is what it is.

follow up question.. why do you say April 7th? I am seeing may 31st as the ticketed by date per they website: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
Old May 4, 20, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by rvlcr View Post
thanks for your reply. sorry if my comment on being "absurd" sounded pretentious - it was not related to the agents (who were rightfully doing their job), but rather to AAs policy.. all other airlines ive dealt with are reinstating miles free of charge but of course AA has to be difficult about it. it is what it is.

follow up question.. why do you say April 7th? I am seeing may 31st as the ticketed by date per they website: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
I was just looking at one of the threads rather than going to the source - if things are still screwed for end September then it may well extend to October
Old May 5, 20, 1:51 pm

I have a flight july 22 LAS-DAL-SYD-PER booked in business saver for wife and I, so 80K american miles per person +~$100 pp in fees. We were still cautiously planning on going, but just got a non-targeted generalized email from qantas saying they will cancelling all international flights through end of july. What is the likely outcome here? Will they redeposit my miles and refund the fees automatically when they cancel the flight or do is it better I proactively do something? I would happily move the award flight to next year but there is zero availability in the award calendar for the same number of miles all the way though the schedule. They won't move it unless there is saver award space, correct?
I booked the flight back in january, I'm unclear what would be the outcome if I call them on the phone now and cancel myself. Sorry for the newbie questions, this was part of a huge three continent trip and I'm juggling a bunch of stuff with it and getting stressed on best strategies.
Old May 5, 20, 3:06 pm

I infer that you have tickets for travel prior to end of July - I think it is pretty much a given that AU will not be allowing people from US anyway, so would write off the chance of travelling anyway. Once the flight is actually cancelled, you will be able to get the booking cancelled and miles redeposited without a fee

If the flight isn't yet cancelled, then you will ( I believe ) need to pay the redeposit fee

The refund will not occur automatically, you will need to call and request it
Old May 5, 20, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
I read over this and the site and hoping you can help me clarify. So if I book award tickets for Jan now 2021 now - that means I fall under the covid 19 cancellation and can do so without penalty or fees. But if I book the same after June 1 - then I get charged the fees unless I cancel 60 days out?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: