Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings — link

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020 (note: policy has been revised, was originally supposed to take effect June 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated. (No discount for additional flyers on same award.)Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 16, 20, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
You are confusing them, they are referring to this new policy:

"We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."

This should mean that they can re-instate for free. But they should call and confirm.
Or just get the miles reinstated and fees back.

(Edited to add - Oh, guess that's what you meant. I read it wrong initially. )
nk15 likes this.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Apr 16, 20 at 5:19 pm
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA
Update! I just called AA (no wait) and they reinstated my miles without a fee and refunded all my money!! So happy!!
JDiver, renila and nk15 like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:46 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by robin13 View Post
Update! I just called AA (no wait) and they reinstated my miles without a fee and refunded all my money!! So happy!!
Yey! Congrats! Finally a clear data point to confirm this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by robin13 View Post
Well, I did the same the day the new policy was announced. I got the miles back, still waiting on the money. I'm sure it's forthcoming.
Old Apr 16, 20, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
I got the miles back, still waiting on the money. I'm sure it's forthcoming.
Might want to be prepared to wait a while. I'm at 2 weeks and counting to get the taxes/fees back from a cancelled award reservation. I'd expect this long wait if it were a paid reservation, but this is definitely longer than what I'm used to for an award reservation.
Old Apr 16, 20, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
This policy reminds me of the old AS policy which I liked. It has some positives and some negatives, but overall a positive change.
Old Apr 17, 20, 8:33 am

So after reading through all the scenarios, I'm still confused on one. What if I book a new award ticket between now and May 31 but the flight is AFTER September 30 what rules am I held under?
Old Apr 17, 20, 9:24 am

I am also confused after reading all of this. For tickets booked after Jun 1 are date/time change still going to be free or not?
Old Apr 17, 20, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UserMark View Post
I am also confused after reading all of this. For tickets booked after Jun 1 are date/time change still going to be free or not?
No, it will generally cost money — with the exception for EXPs — unless done 60+ days In advance of ticketed travel date.

AA plans to milk customers with fees for doing date/time changes on award tickets , with the exception of AA EXPs.

Give it to AA to make an increasingly bad frequent flyer program into an even worse program when travel demand is very low and few are paying attention to yet another customer-unfriendly change to the program.
Old Apr 17, 20, 7:12 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
So after reading through all the scenarios, I'm still confused on one. What if I book a new award ticket between now and May 31 but the flight is AFTER September 30 what rules am I held under?
My understanding is tickets issued before June 1 are old rules / fees. Exception to that is the up to September 30 waiver. So tickets prior to June 1 for travel after September 30 are current (pre-change) rules and fees.
Old Apr 17, 20, 7:18 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I tried to ask this earlier and did not see an answer.

Post June 1 web special - I would have thought still no changes. But since I asked previously I have read a travel blog (afraid I don't know which one) that said web special awards fell under the new rules allowing changes 60 days or more out... I find that hard to believe but wondering what others thought.
Old Apr 18, 20, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
I tried to ask this earlier and did not see an answer.

Post June 1 web special - I would have thought still no changes. But since I asked previously I have read a travel blog (afraid I don't know which one) that said web special awards fell under the new rules allowing changes 60 days or more out... I find that hard to believe but wondering what others thought.
If you buy your ticket after June 1, yes, otherwise no... you fall under the current fee structure (though depending on your actual date of travel you may fall under a COVID-19 fee waiver.
Old Apr 18, 20, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
If you buy your ticket after June 1, yes, otherwise no... you fall under the current fee structure (though depending on your actual date of travel you may fall under a COVID-19 fee waiver.
Thanks! I really am surprised that they are making the web special awards changeable (but guess it makes sense since you would just be able to cancel and rebook.) My thinking was since agents could/would not touch a web special in the past and since there is not the ability to change any reservations online that it would not be possible. Wonder how they will handle changes. Will agents be able to book web specials now?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 18, 20, 3:51 pm

My understanding is tickets issued before June 1 are old rules / fees. Exception to that is the up to September 30 waiver. So tickets prior to June 1 for travel after September 30 are current (pre-change) rules and fees.
Well, I might have screwed up, we booked a ticket for November when this came out. However, there is also this comment "Buy a new trip March 1 – May 31, 2020, for all future travel, you can also change it a later date without change fees". So, maybe that also applies to award tickets booked now. Then.... starting June 1st the new rule starts.

On my November ticket booked this month, I do have the option for:

Canceling your reservation?

You can cancel your trip online, and your miles will be safe. There’s no need to call right now. When you're ready to travel again, or simply want your miles back, you can contact us.

I'm not 100% clear if that means that it would allow a redeposit with no fee.
Old Apr 19, 20, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks! I really am surprised that they are making the web special awards changeable (but guess it makes sense since you would just be able to cancel and rebook.) My thinking was since agents could/would not touch a web special in the past and since there is not the ability to change any reservations online that it would not be possible. Wonder how they will handle changes. Will agents be able to book web specials now?

Thanks again.
You still can’t change a web special, only cancel and reinstate the miles and then book the new ticket. (Or more likely, put the new flight on hold, then cancel/reinstate the old one, then buy the new one.) But the end the result is the same provided you’re changing your plans 60+ days out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: