Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings — link

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020 (note: policy has been revised, was originally supposed to take effect June 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated. (No discount for additional flyers on same award.)Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 15, 20, 8:53 am
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,342
Originally Posted by Bleepo View Post
So I'm a little confused about their new policy.
What happens if I make an award booking today, for travel next March?
I don't fall under the policy of booking made before May for travel to Sept.
I also don't fall under the policy about bookings made after June 1, 2020.
Or do they mean any tickets booked to fly on or after June 1?
You’ll be subject to the current fees, not the new ones, because of the date you bought the ticket ... and you’re not eligible for a COVID-19 change fee waiver because your travel is too far in the future.
javabytes is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 9:00 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL, LHR
Posts: 157


Can someone explain what this means? I have an award reservation that was changed - they basically cancelled one leg of a 2-leg flight...so i want to cancel and get my miles back but this graphic concerns me. What does it mean "or simply want your miles back, you can contact us" - this makes it sound like when I hit cancel, my miles, in lieu of being returned to my account for free, will exist in some limbo world and I'll have to track them down - hence "contact" them - when I want to use them again?
PHLondoner is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 9:11 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flyertalk.com-vbulletin/1016x123/screen_shot_2020_04_15_at_10_45_14_am_ea7ebcd516ab 7405615a3884affb1ef2862b40ad.png

Can someone explain what this means? I have an award reservation that was changed - they basically cancelled one leg of a 2-leg flight...so i want to cancel and get my miles back but this graphic concerns me. What does it mean "or simply want your miles back, you can contact us" - this makes it sound like when I hit cancel, my miles, in lieu of being returned to my account for free, will exist in some limbo world and I'll have to track them down - hence "contact" them - when I want to use them again?
Yes that's correct. You cancel, the cancel is notated but you have to call in to have them redeposit your miles. It took all of 5 minutes including hold time for me. They said they would be back within 7 days, but I got my miles back in 20 minutes. Still waiting on the taxes refund as that goes through the normal "refund" process.
Stickboy46 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 12:57 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CMH
Programs: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott/BW Plat; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez (OK, some are +1's)
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post

You can cancel now for free:
"We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
Thanks for the reply. I was confused by by AA's language and this thread shows I wasn't the only one. To be safe, I called, got a short hold and cancelled with no fees. Now I'm waiting for UA to make my return rev ticket cancellation free.
rxgeek is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 1:22 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PHL, LHR
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yes that's correct. You cancel, the cancel is notated but you have to call in to have them redeposit your miles. It took all of 5 minutes including hold time for me. They said they would be back within 7 days, but I got my miles back in 20 minutes. Still waiting on the taxes refund as that goes through the normal "refund" process.
​​​​​​​lol, so if I have to call to get them reinstated...why does it say "there's no need to call right now" especially since I'm looking to re-book asap... I can't believe their back end can't support a web cancel and reinstatement without a time-wasting phone convo.
PHLondoner is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 1:58 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
lol, so if I have to call to get them reinstated...why does it say "there's no need to call right now" especially since I'm looking to re-book asap... I can't believe their back end can't support a web cancel and reinstatement without a time-wasting phone convo.
They are trying to lighten the load on their reps. If you aren't going to rebook for 6 months, they don't want you to call now. If you are going to rebook now, then call. Though i agree, I don't see why it's not automated.
Stickboy46 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:01 pm
  #52  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: PHX and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 76,494
Originally Posted by Stickboy46 View Post
They are trying to lighten the load on their reps. If you aren't going to rebook for 6 months, they don't want you to call now. If you are going to rebook now, then call. Though i agree, I don't see why it's not automated.
Despite the "high call volume," people are getting through right away. Why not call now? All businesses are saying the same thing. I haven't had any trouble getting through to any of them I've tried.
JDiver likes this.
ILuvParis is offline  
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:27 pm
  #53  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,711
DM the Twitter team @AmericanAir.
JDiver is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 2:55 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post


You’ll be subject to the current fees, not the new ones, because of the date you bought the ticket ... and you’re not eligible for a COVID-19 change fee waiver because your travel is too far in the future.
Would someone mind posting the current fees at least the ones that are different from the new fees in this thread so that all of the information is here? I know one difference is in how extra pax are charged. I'm booking now for trip in Nov.
rayfes is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 8:10 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,918
Originally Posted by rayfes View Post
Would someone mind posting the current fees at least the ones that are different from the new fees in this thread so that all of the information is here? I know one difference is in how extra pax are charged. I'm booking now for trip in Nov.
The current fees are still listed in the same place at aa.com (AA.com Award Travel) as well as in post #3 of this thread.
rayfes likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 9:49 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 6,343
For two people on the same record, if cancelled more than 7 days but less than 60 days, and the miles come out of a Platinum, cancel and redeposit went from $175 ($150 for the first plus $25 for each additional) to $150 (2 x $75). If less than 7 days, it goes to $200. So that part isn't a big deal for me.

For a family of 4 (miles coming from a Platinum account), it goes from $225 to $600. That's gonna be tough on a lot of folks.

However, the fact that changes/redeposits are free until 60 days means I can make lots of speculative bookings just like I was when I was ExPlat. While the average member won't do that (most won't want to deal with that level of flexibility), among Plats and higher (i.e., folks whose travel life is already more complicated than average), it is a real plus for us and a negative for those that now have so much more competition for these award seats.

For me, whether it offsets the fee for formerly free date and time changes remains to be seen. I used that a lot.
beachfan is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 1:05 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 59
Web Special Award Ticket Question

I booked an award "Web Special" one way ticket to LHR from DFW for 7/16/20 back in February. The taxes were only $5.00 but I also paid for MCE which was an extra $112. I have transferred the cruise to October but to tell you the truth I have no idea if that one will be a go or not. At this point I just want to get my 20k miles back and a refund for the $117. I don't want to rebook for October just yet as I want to see what happens in the next couple of months. Would the new policy of not having to pay a change fee to reinstate my miles apply to me as well since this was a "Web Special"?
robin13 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 1:22 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,253
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
Is it just me or does this look oddly like Alaska's old award policy?
I had the same thought as well. Under the old AS policy, I cancelled several AS award partner bookings before the 60 day mark and got all miles and taxes back with no fee and all could be done online without calling in. I don't think the $25 partner booking fee was refunded though.
dldkjones is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 1:58 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,918
Originally Posted by robin13 View Post
I booked an award "Web Special" one way ticket to LHR from DFW for 7/16/20 back in February. The taxes were only $5.00 but I also paid for MCE which was an extra $112. I have transferred the cruise to October but to tell you the truth I have no idea if that one will be a go or not. At this point I just want to get my 20k miles back and a refund for the $117. I don't want to rebook for October just yet as I want to see what happens in the next couple of months. Would the new policy of not having to pay a change fee to reinstate my miles apply to me as well since this was a "Web Special"?
Web Special or not, the new policy is only for tickets booked after June 1.

There are oodles of other threads and data points covering what to do for existing tickets like this that you want to change or cancel due to the current situation.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Apr 16, 20, 4:31 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 5,069
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Web Special or not, the new policy is only for tickets booked after June 1.

There are oodles of other threads and data points covering what to do for existing tickets like this that you want to change or cancel due to the current situation.
You are confusing them, they are referring to this new policy:

"We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."

This should mean that they can re-instate for free. But they should call and confirm.
nk15 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: