Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings — link

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020 (note: policy has been revised, was originally supposed to take effect June 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated. (No discount for additional flyers on same award.)Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 14, 20, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
of course I am. The title if the post should be more accurate then.

“new award changes and mileage redeposit fees (except EXP)” would be more accurate.
LOL, says the king of starting threads with cryptic 3 word thread titles...
uncommonsensical likes this.
Old Apr 14, 20, 9:45 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules
When you say "existing rules", the way I read it is award travel booked prior to 5/31/2020 for travel thru 9/30/2020 can be changed/reinstated without penalty. Is that not right?

Quote from aa.com: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
Old Apr 14, 20, 10:05 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by AlphaTango View Post
When you say "existing rules", the way I read it is award travel booked prior to 5/31/2020 for travel thru 9/30/2020 can be changed/reinstated without penalty. Is that not right?

Quote from aa.com: "We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
That's how I originally read it too. On rereading, it depends on whether the first sentence that you quote stands alone, or whether it's merely set-up for the second paragraph. I'd say it's ambiguous. Right now might be the time to get old tickets redeposited, before AA corrects that ambiguity.

Last edited by siankaan1; Apr 14, 20 at 10:10 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 14, 20, 10:57 am

AA just redeposited the miles for 4 old award tickets that I've been hanging on to, with no redeposit fee and refund of taxes. So at least for now they are treating the first sentence of yesterday's announcement as a stand-alone statement.
Old Apr 14, 20, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Called AA-Plat, answer in 30 seconds

Just to report that I called today AA-Plat to cancel flights -- answer in 30 seconds !! Never happened before.
I cancelled 2 one-way award international trips for May - no miles reinstatement fees.
I cancelled 1 paid-for domestic trip . Qualified for refund because just changed from direct to with-connection.
Old Apr 14, 20, 11:21 am

I've seen blogs describe the new elite discount on fees as a positive. Unless traveling alone, it's effectively ONLY a positive for Platinum Pro.

Most of my awards are with a companion, and I'd guess that's a common case. As platinum, the old fee was $150 to cancel. Now with the "discount" it's still $150 at day 59. One week out it goes to $200. Gold and Regular have it worse. EXP is unchanged at $0.

So none of those people are getting a discount, only Platinum Pro. If 3-4 people are on your PNR, the discount is wiped out for Platinum Pro too.
Old Apr 14, 20, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules
I was referring to an award ticket booked last August for June of this year. Had I canceled a couple of months ago, I would have had until August to use the ticket or would have had to pay to have the miles reinstated. Until yesterday, I would have had through next year to use the ticket or would have had to pay to get the miles reinstated. I waited until yesterday and got the miles, taxes and fees back at no cost. I don't see how that is the "existing rules."

Edited to add: I see now that the subject refers to bookings after June 1. However, the first sentence of the posted quote refers to my situation (bookings before June). Hence, my confusion.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Apr 14, 20 at 1:35 pm
Old Apr 14, 20, 12:44 pm

Hello all, I read the posts above. AA"s announcement is a little confusing.

I purchased an Award ticket in January-2020 (all flights on QR), for travel in November-2020.
I will most likely have to cancel this trip (even though its months away).
The flights are still on schedule. No schedule changes, etc.

I am not sure if I can cancel this without any penalty based on today's announcement.
Looks like the announcement only refers to travel before Sept-30??

Miles came from AA-Platinum elite.
Old Apr 14, 20, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf View Post
Hello all, I read the posts above. AA"s announcement is a little confusing.

I purchased an Award ticket in January-2020 (all flights on QR), for travel in November-2020.
I will most likely have to cancel this trip (even though its months away).
The flights are still on schedule. No schedule changes, etc.

I am not sure if I can cancel this without any penalty based on today's announcement.
Looks like the announcement only refers to travel before Sept-30??

Miles came from AA-Platinum elite.
I think there would be a reinstatement fee since travel is after September 30. But you can always try...let us know what happens!
Old Apr 14, 20, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1 View Post
I think there would be a reinstatement fee since travel is after September 30. But you can always try...let us know what happens!
Yes..i also feel there will be a fee. I am going to wait for a month or two...maybe something will change.....or a massive schedule change will happen.
Old Apr 14, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott/BW Plat; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez (OK, some are +1's)
Cancelling Award After 6/1/20

I have a OW award ticket for 2 pax for travel on 7/29/20 to Tokyo which I want to cancel.I do not have status so I would incur $175 in fees if I cancel before 6/1 when the new no fee policy takes effect. To cancel for free after 6/1, travel must be more than 60 days out, AA has a rule that you can change your award ticket for up to 21 days for no fee. If I move my ticket just a few days later, then can't I cancel for free? If so, what is the best way to contact AA for this?
Old Apr 14, 20, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Premier Silver
AA Twitter support is ridiculous. My booking wasn't covered under any of the waivers, nor is it under the new policy as it was ticketed last year.

"Hi Twitter support, I have booking X can you cancel and give me back my miles?"
"Sure, done. You'll have them within 72hrs."

And they're already back in my account. I wish all companies had agents who just did what you asked regardless of actual policy.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 14, 20, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rxgeek View Post
I have a OW award ticket for 2 pax for travel on 7/29/20 to Tokyo which I want to cancel.I do not have status so I would incur $175 in fees if I cancel before 6/1 when the new no fee policy takes effect. To cancel for free after 6/1, travel must be more than 60 days out, AA has a rule that you can change your award ticket for up to 21 days for no fee. If I move my ticket just a few days later, then can't I cancel for free? If so, what is the best way to contact AA for this?
You can cancel now for free:
"We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020."
Old Apr 14, 20, 10:51 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by rxgeek View Post
My understanding is that this can be cancelled up until day of travel with free redeposit, right?
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:26 am

So I'm a little confused about their new policy.
What happens if I make an award booking today, for travel next March?
I don't fall under the policy of booking made before May for travel to Sept.
I also don't fall under the policy about bookings made after June 1, 2020.
Or do they mean any tickets booked to fly on or after June 1?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: