Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings — link

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020 (note: policy has been revised, was originally supposed to take effect June 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated. (No discount for additional flyers on same award.)Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 13, 20, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
Well, that's true about needing the miles. They will run out at some point for most people. So it's not completely unlimited open season on speculative bookings.

But part of the new change seems to be major changes are no longer free of charge. So a date change now, with no change to origin or destination, would now incur a change fee unless made 60 days out.
Major changes are now free of charge outside 60 days - e.g. switch from QR from AMS-SYD to EY from AMS-SYD will not longer incur a $150 fee at 2+ months - making minor changes goes from free to costing a fee depending on status within 60 days

I don't see any reason why speculative bookings would increase - within 60 days there would be a fee to redeposit miles on unwanted awards - outside 60 days, changes are free , so why speculate?
Old Apr 13, 20, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Major changes are now free of charge outside 60 days - e.g. switch from QR from AMS-SYD to EY from AMS-SYD will not longer incur a $150 fee at 2+ months - making minor changes goes from free to costing a fee depending on status within 60 days

I don't see any reason why speculative bookings would increase - within 60 days there would be a fee to redeposit miles on unwanted awards - outside 60 days, changes are free , so why speculate?
The < 60 days now incurring a fee for changes is a huge detractor for me. 100% of all changes I've ever made have been within 60 days. With the current uncertainties of quarantine and borders closing, the timing of this change is particularly egregious. This a huge devaluation for me and the way I travel. I'll be much less likely to pursue additional miles or status after my current stash is gone.

There will definitely be less inventory available at >60 days if people can redeposit at will until that point. That doesn't bother me anywhere near the fees for changes to dates or itineraries < 60 days however.
Old Apr 13, 20, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Premier Silver
Was it really necessary for AA to apply this only for awards booked after June 1? I have an award booked in Dec that is for a flight in Oct and at this point I'd like to just cancel it but it's outside the waiver so it'd be $150 to redeposit.

I wonder if a rep would waive the redeposit fee in light of the new policy if I called and asked for an exception? Don't want to hold up the phone lines for such a distant flight though.
Old Apr 13, 20, 9:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Was it really necessary for AA to apply this only for awards booked after June 1? I have an award booked in Dec that is for a flight in Oct and at this point I'd like to just cancel it but it's outside the waiver so it'd be $150 to redeposit.

I wonder if a rep would waive the redeposit fee in light of the new policy if I called and asked for an exception? Don't want to hold up the phone lines for such a distant flight though.
Heres what I’d do: With all the flight changes etc. going on, wait for a flight to change by 241 or more minutes or in another major way and cancel free due to involuntary changes. In the interim, I’d call after June 1 so TAs are trained on the new policy, and see if careful wording will have someone cancel the award and Redeposit your miles because it’s more than 60 days out. Technically, the latter isn’t part of the new policy, but you might slip between the cracks. Finally, other things could happen where you might be covered by new travel alerts.
Old Apr 13, 20, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Heres what I’d do: With all the flight changes etc. going on, wait for a flight to change by 241 or more minutes or in another major way and cancel free due to involuntary changes. In the interim, I’d call after June 1 so TAs are trained on the new policy, and see if careful wording will have someone cancel the award and Redeposit your miles because it’s more than 60 days out. Technically, the latter isn’t part of the new policy, but you might slip between the cracks. Finally, other things could happen where you might be covered by new travel alerts.
Yeah that's the plan. If the waiver gets pushed any further then I'm set.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If a Platinum Or for that matter any member books a Milesaver flight and wants to make a change <60 days out and saver availability still exists for the same city pairs, does the no change fee benefit still exist?
Old Apr 13, 20, 9:58 pm

For non-EXPs, does this affect Web Specials? Or are those still untouchable without schedule change?
Old Apr 13, 20, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by chix View Post
If a Platinum Or for that matter any member books a Milesaver flight and wants to make a change <60 days out and saver availability still exists for the same city pairs, does the no change fee benefit still exist?
My understanding is that the fee as listed in the table applies for all changes - if that is the case, then the listed fee will apply
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My understanding is that the fee as listed in the table applies for all changes - if that is the case, then the listed fee will apply
If that is the case, OP javabytes is correct, a really “nasty Easter egg” buried in the changes AA tries to put a positive spin on :-(
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Considering close in fees were eliminated, keeping total score for the year, net devaluation to PLT and GLD, and I’d say even for non elite.

Doesn’t this align closer to United’s structure, except United still charges for changes >60 days, albeit at a lower rate?

Still slimy to slide it into this announcement. They probably intended to make it May 31 but decided it would get less publicity if it was buried here lol.
Old Apr 13, 20, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I'm glad I've patiently waited to cancel flights until the policy changes gave me what I wanted.
Old Apr 13, 20, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
I'm glad I've patiently waited to cancel flights until the policy changes gave me what I wanted.
The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules
JDiver and nexusCFX like this.
Old Apr 14, 20, 1:58 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Is it just me or does this look oddly like Alaska's old award policy?
Old Apr 14, 20, 2:11 am

The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules
If that will technically be honored, I'll probably book any Awards for the next year prior June 1. That way when inevitably when the dates change, or if I need to make a proactive change for another reason, they'll still be covered under them.
Old Apr 14, 20, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Djokison View Post
You’re unaware of the existence of non-EXPs?
of course I am. The title if the post should be more accurate then.

“new award changes and mileage redeposit fees (except EXP)” would be more accurate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: