FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees, Issues, from 1 Jul 2020 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2015666-award-change-miles-redeposit-fees-issues-1-jul-2020-consolidated.html)

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 32290805)
Well, that's true about needing the miles. They will run out at some point for most people. So it's not completely unlimited open season on speculative bookings.

But part of the new change seems to be major changes are no longer free of charge. So a date change now, with no change to origin or destination, would now incur a change fee unless made 60 days out.

Major changes are now free of charge outside 60 days - e.g. switch from QR from AMS-SYD to EY from AMS-SYD will not longer incur a $150 fee at 2+ months - making minor changes goes from free to costing a fee depending on status within 60 days

I don't see any reason why speculative bookings would increase - within 60 days there would be a fee to redeposit miles on unwanted awards - outside 60 days, changes are free , so why speculate?

cmtlatitudes Apr 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32290829)
Major changes are now free of charge outside 60 days - e.g. switch from QR from AMS-SYD to EY from AMS-SYD will not longer incur a $150 fee at 2+ months - making minor changes goes from free to costing a fee depending on status within 60 days

I don't see any reason why speculative bookings would increase - within 60 days there would be a fee to redeposit miles on unwanted awards - outside 60 days, changes are free , so why speculate?

The < 60 days now incurring a fee for changes is a huge detractor for me. 100% of all changes I've ever made have been within 60 days. With the current uncertainties of quarantine and borders closing, the timing of this change is particularly egregious. This a huge devaluation for me and the way I travel. I'll be much less likely to pursue additional miles or status after my current stash is gone.

There will definitely be less inventory available at >60 days if people can redeposit at will until that point. That doesn't bother me anywhere near the fees for changes to dates or itineraries < 60 days however.

nexusCFX Apr 13, 2020 9:20 pm

Was it really necessary for AA to apply this only for awards booked after June 1? I have an award booked in Dec that is for a flight in Oct and at this point I'd like to just cancel it but it's outside the waiver so it'd be $150 to redeposit.

I wonder if a rep would waive the redeposit fee in light of the new policy if I called and asked for an exception? Don't want to hold up the phone lines for such a distant flight though.

JDiver Apr 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 32291062)
Was it really necessary for AA to apply this only for awards booked after June 1? I have an award booked in Dec that is for a flight in Oct and at this point I'd like to just cancel it but it's outside the waiver so it'd be $150 to redeposit.

I wonder if a rep would waive the redeposit fee in light of the new policy if I called and asked for an exception? Don't want to hold up the phone lines for such a distant flight though.

Heres what I’d do: With all the flight changes etc. going on, wait for a flight to change by 241 or more minutes or in another major way and cancel free due to involuntary changes. In the interim, I’d call after June 1 so TAs are trained on the new policy, and see if careful wording will have someone cancel the award and Redeposit your miles because it’s more than 60 days out. Technically, the latter isn’t part of the new policy, but you might slip between the cracks. Finally, other things could happen where you might be covered by new travel alerts.

nexusCFX Apr 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32291100)
Heres what I’d do: With all the flight changes etc. going on, wait for a flight to change by 241 or more minutes or in another major way and cancel free due to involuntary changes. In the interim, I’d call after June 1 so TAs are trained on the new policy, and see if careful wording will have someone cancel the award and Redeposit your miles because it’s more than 60 days out. Technically, the latter isn’t part of the new policy, but you might slip between the cracks. Finally, other things could happen where you might be covered by new travel alerts.

Yeah that's the plan. If the waiver gets pushed any further then I'm set.

chix Apr 13, 2020 9:51 pm

If a Platinum Or for that matter any member books a Milesaver flight and wants to make a change <60 days out and saver availability still exists for the same city pairs, does the no change fee benefit still exist?

milesforhire Apr 13, 2020 9:58 pm

For non-EXPs, does this affect Web Specials? Or are those still untouchable without schedule change?

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by chix (Post 32291124)
If a Platinum Or for that matter any member books a Milesaver flight and wants to make a change <60 days out and saver availability still exists for the same city pairs, does the no change fee benefit still exist?

My understanding is that the fee as listed in the table applies for all changes - if that is the case, then the listed fee will apply

chix Apr 13, 2020 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32291155)
My understanding is that the fee as listed in the table applies for all changes - if that is the case, then the listed fee will apply

If that is the case, OP javabytes is correct, a really “nasty Easter egg” buried in the changes AA tries to put a positive spin on :-(

lrdpenn Apr 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Considering close in fees were eliminated, keeping total score for the year, net devaluation to PLT and GLD, and I’d say even for non elite.

Doesn’t this align closer to United’s structure, except United still charges for changes >60 days, albeit at a lower rate?

Still slimy to slide it into this announcement. They probably intended to make it May 31 but decided it would get less publicity if it was buried here lol.

ILuvParis Apr 13, 2020 11:07 pm

I'm glad I've patiently waited to cancel flights until the policy changes gave me what I wanted. :)

Dave Noble Apr 13, 2020 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 32291238)
I'm glad I've patiently waited to cancel flights until the policy changes gave me what I wanted. :)

The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules

GrayAnderson Apr 14, 2020 1:58 am

Is it just me or does this look oddly like Alaska's old award policy?

cmtlatitudes Apr 14, 2020 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 32291275)
The policy changes go into effect for bookings ticketed on or after June 1 - any bookings prior to that date have the existing rules

If that will technically be honored, I'll probably book any Awards for the next year prior June 1. That way when inevitably when the dates change, or if I need to make a proactive change for another reason, they'll still be covered under them.

enviroian Apr 14, 2020 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 32290479)
You’re unaware of the existence of non-EXPs?

of course I am. The title if the post should be more accurate then.

“new award changes and mileage redeposit fees (except EXP)” would be more accurate.